1.3 Flame Cyclonist | RIP

And here we go again... since the introduction of 1.1.3 I've been enjoying various options of a Molten Strike build [Meatball Diarrhea]. In 1.2 I made it a 100% fire build by picking the Avatar of Fire keystone and adding the Pyre ring. Recently I started mulling over the idea of picking a pure physical skill and turning it into a 100% fire one. After testing various setups I chose Cyclone.

The main idea behind this build would be to facilitate certain garbage uniques (the "bum" part, in other words picking up unique junk nobody never used).

Ok, so how it's gonna work?
We have Cyclone which is a 100% physical skill. After picking AoF half of our damage "disappears" as we deal only fire damage and the keystone only converts 50% of the initial physical damage. So, what do we do? We pick the Chernobog's Pillar shield to convert another 25% of our physical damage. Aside of the damage conversion it's a pretty junk shield BTW. Then, we add the Hrimsorrow gloves that convert 25% of our pdmg into cold. Finally, we pick the Pyre ring to convert all our cold (Hatred + Hrimsorrow) into fire. In other words, we get a 100% fire damage Cyclone.

What other junk uniques would this build facilitate?
It's not yet decided but I'm strongly considering Hrimnor's Resolve to get 30% increased fire dmg and maybe Windscream, which means even more fire dmg + we could cast both Flammability and Warlord's Mark. At the top of that we'd use Meginord's Girdle, which isn't really garb, but still a rather cheap unique (8-10c).

But, all these uniques don't add any flat life, wouldn't I be too squishy?
Well, here's where the decent uniques come into play. We'd use Belly of the Beast to get a massive hp boost (together with Meginord's). Then, we need to add an amulet and a ring, both with preferably INT (damn Doryani's!) + flat life, flat phys and some resistances (WED would be perfect and should be doable since there's one more prefix aside of life and flat phys).

So, what would be my skill setup?
Q20 Cyclone + Q20 Melee Physical Damage + Q20 Weapon Elemental Damage + Q20 Faster Attacks + Concentrated Effect + Blood Magic.

What auras would you recommend?
Hatred + Herald of Ash (+ Incr. Burning Damage + Ele Prolif from Doryani's) + Grace or Anger, depending on how well defensively this char would be doing.

Is Doryani's Catalyst absolutely necessary for this build?
Yes, without Doryani's it's just not worth it to f... around with AoF, junk conversion uniques etc.

What about the skill tree?
Well, it's not yet decided. Especially with major Duelist/Marauder updates in 1.3. This is what I consider the absolute core of the tree: I have various conceptions of which way to go next, one facilitates the Marauder part of the tree and would look more-less like this:
While the other one gets us more into the Ranger tree:

I tried the setup with the Ranger variant and got around 21k tooltip DPS on a 5L (no Conc Effect), which means 42k real DPS. Did pretty well in 73-74 maps, have yet to try it in 77-78.

I'd more than pleased to get feedback from you guys. It's still a concept and I could use some help making it a real build.
Last edited by Dzwonsson on Dec 12, 2014, 8:12:25 AM
NOV. 15 UPDATE: Currently level 84 [60%] in Rampage, leveled mostly solo, started playing with guildies around level 70-75, awesome clear speed for solo and small party play, as of now doing 73-76 maps, clearing without any problems. 0 deaths, so I guess this char can be hardcore viable if played the right way. Planning to post a full guide with videos once the new tree is released.
What is your tooltip dps? Are you using fire pen? Any thoughts on going crit?
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Last edited by Etherfire on Nov 15, 2014, 12:11:27 PM
20k tooltip DPS on a 5-link, I think I'm gonna add Fire Penetration if/when I get a 6-link, especially since I'm running Warlord's Mark for more leech rather than Flammability. Crit is kinda hard to get, since it's a 1-hand/shield and I need certain uniques to get to 100% fire damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info