Herald of Thunder and shocks

Does anyone know the approximate HP range of rare monsters (and boss/unique monsters) in higher (76-78) level maps?

For a crit build that is not elemental, and thus has basically no % elemental increases, I was wondering if the added damage 20/20 herald of thunder could reasonably reach the shock threshold for a normal physical crit build using dual strike/double strike/reave etc.

Assuming that the info on the wiki is correct, then a 20/20 herald of thunder would add 104.1 damage per attack (on average). I think a normal crit multi would be somewhere between 400-600% so this would equate to 520.4-728.5 lightning damage per hit. Usually the physical attack builds have fast APS so duration shouldn't matter a whole lot as long as you get past that threshold which I believe is ~1.1% of the monster's max HP with the lightning damage.

Taking the 1.1% max hp, this would mean monsters couldn't have more than 47306.8 HP with only 400% multi, and 66229 HP with 600% multi. This is of course only an average, lighting varies quite a bit so sometimes you could shock almost twice that hp and sometimes you wouldn't shock a super low hp white mob, but I'm trying to see if we could expect to shock at least 50% of the time (with only 6-7 aps if you shocked on average 50% of the time you would pretty much maintain shock status)

I was looking, but couldn't find a good reference with approximate rare/unique monster HP ranges, which would be real helpful to know whether it might be worth it to invest in going for herald of thunder for a melee physical to get those shock stacks. Though, I'm guessing this is too low to really get shock stacks on the rares, so it doesn't sound worth it to me.

Thanks for any help

IGN: IskyOfTheSea
Last edited by Isky on Oct 23, 2014, 11:27:48 AM
"
Isky wrote:
Assuming that the info on the wiki is correct, then a 20/20 herald of thunder would add 699.2 damage per attack (on average).

That is not what the Wiki says. Re-read the column headers.
^^Thanks for the catch! Clearly I read from the wrong column. I fixed the numbers. Definitely does not sound like it would get shocks by itself, though I have no idea what monster HP numbers actually are.
Doesn't it clearly state that Herald of Thunder cannot shock....?
Herald of thunder itself does not shock, but this is not what I'm referring to. The extra lightning damage it adds to attacks (or spells) would enable one to be able to shock with your normal attack. The lightning cloud effect after you kill a shocked enemy however will not shock. It would be a pretty miserable skill if it made it so you couldn't shock with your own attacks anymore....but this is not the case.
I would imagine that it'd be pretty hard to shock bosses with just HoT. I don't have any hard data, but when I used Added Lightning on Freezing Pulse during OB it would shock some rares but not all; and generally bosses have a good amount more HP than rares. This was before Added Lightning got buffed, so I imagine HoT's damage is roughly comparable to what Added Lightning was back then.

"
Madloot wrote:
Doesn't it clearly state that Herald of Thunder cannot shock....?

I guess no

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info