Client failing to animate monster movement ruining play

This has always been a problem with PoE. We all know it and have to live with it to play in the PoE sandbox or ride the PoE merry-go-round (pick your own metaphor). But we all hate it and wish that GGG could/would fix this. The age old problem of the client side (what we see playing PoE) doesn't sync with the server side simulation. Nothing new, but now when I'm finally playing maps (I've had my fill of skill experimentation with new builds) and get a Shadow to level 80 I'm being unfairly punished and lose 10% XP because in my specific case the leaping miscreants are not showing their leaping animations on the client side so that I have time to lightning warp out of harms way. They are just instantly showing up on top of me and dealing their damage. As an evasion/es build it is critical that I don't take heavy physical damage so kiting is a must. That works well with fast warping but only if I can see that there are creatures leaping in on me so that I can react fast and warp out of the way in time. When the leaping creatures don't show any leaping animation at all, one second they are off screen or at the edge, and the next frame they are directly on me and the physical damage is incurred without any chance to react and move, well you get the picture.

Yes, you can troll me and say PoE is this way, learn to adapt and play to the server or don't play at all. But there is no way to play to the server and try and second guess WTF it's doing that is differently from what I see, that isn't possible. Especially when the leaping creatures are coming in from off-screen and since there is no visible animation to see and react to, I'm dead before I even know it. With a 10% XP loss every time it's definitely "not fun" and something GGG really needs to invest time into fixing. After nearly 2 years of time playing PoE (from CB to now) GGG really should have gotten the server/client sync problems worked out better. At least I should always be seeing the creatures that are leaping on me. There is no excuse for GGG to not have fixed this by now. My tag line is accurate, "no joy in Wraeclast" when this shit is happening.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
If this ruins the game for you, you need to move on. This isn't going to be fixed without a complete re-do of the game engine or a port to a stand-alone game client, neither of which are likely to happen any time soon.

I find it annoying. I don't like it one bit. But it doesn't ruin the game for me.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
If this ruins the game for you, you need to move on. This isn't going to be fixed without a complete re-do of the game engine or a port to a stand-alone game client, neither of which are likely to happen any time soon.

I find it annoying. I don't like it one bit. But it doesn't ruin the game for me.

You need to stop defending bad design with poor excuses. Everything can be fixed with enough time and effort.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_
"
kolton wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

You need to stop defending bad design with poor excuses. Everything can be fixed with enough time and effort.

humpty dumpty would like to have a word with you.
"
Xtorma wrote:
"
kolton wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

humpty dumpty would like to have a word with you.

rofl
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 This has always been a problem with PoE. We all know it and have to live with it to play in the PoE sandbox or ride the PoE merry-go-round (pick your own metaphor). But we all hate it and wish that GGG could/would fix this. The age old problem of the client side (what we see playing PoE) doesn't sync with the server side simulation. Nothing new, but now when I'm finally playing maps (I've had my fill of skill experimentation with new builds) and get a Shadow to level 80 I'm being unfairly punished and lose 10% XP because in my specific case the leaping miscreants are not showing their leaping animations on the client side so that I have time to lightning warp out of harms way. They are just instantly showing up on top of me and dealing their damage. As an evasion/es build it is critical that I don't take heavy physical damage so kiting is a must. That works well with fast warping but only if I can see that there are creatures leaping in on me so that I can react fast and warp out of the way in time. When the leaping creatures don't show any leaping animation at all, one second they are off screen or at the edge, and the next frame they are directly on me and the physical damage is incurred without any chance to react and move, well you get the picture.

Yes, you can troll me and say PoE is this way, learn to adapt and play to the server or don't play at all. But there is no way to play to the server and try and second guess WTF it's doing that is differently from what I see, that isn't possible. Especially when the leaping creatures are coming in from off-screen and since there is no visible animation to see and react to, I'm dead before I even know it. With a 10% XP loss every time it's definitely "not fun" and something GGG really needs to invest time into fixing. After nearly 2 years of time playing PoE (from CB to now) GGG really should have gotten the server/client sync problems worked out better. At least I should always be seeing the creatures that are leaping on me. There is no excuse for GGG to not have fixed this by now. My tag line is accurate, "no joy in Wraeclast" when this shit is happening.

Put more spaces between your walls of text so we may consider reading it.
Last edited by SoonBanned on Oct 23, 2014, 6:02:46 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

This isn't true.

What the person here is talking about isn't general desync (which as you said can't be fixed), but rather specifically the monsters being out of sync, which while it can't necessarily be fixed either without some hard work, you CAN set up a forced resync to make this slightly better.

Sure it wouldn't "fix" it, but if when you clicked on a monster, or when you tried to attack a monster, or when a projectile 'hit' a monster, if no damage dealt/etc it forced a resync, it would fix.

The number of times I have 'shift' attacked a monster in somewhere like the pyramid, and realised after two clicks the monster is out of sync, but the monster continues to follow me for another 5 minutes.... if I can see it based on trying to deal damage to it, the game should be able to detect it aswell and force resync JUST for that monster
And when your "fix" broke 5 other things... then what?
 If all I need to do is issue a /oos more often then I'd use a script to issue it. But then GGG will ban me if I use any automating type of script to aid in my PoE to compensate for game flaws. Manually typing /oos isn't doable in the middle of an increased monster pack map anyway.

So GGG, what are you going to do except for Chris to state that GGG is not happy with it either. It's time to do us right and either fix this or not get all bent out of shape and want to ban our account for using an auto-script to compensate for obvious game flaws. I'm at level 75 and want to get to 80 before the end of the first Rampage 3 month league is over. I don't have the time to be a PoE slaver (nor should I need to be) to get to level 80 within 3 months but I'd be 1 level closer to my goal if this kind of out of sync problem wasn't happening with such frequency. I do understand that there has to be a penalty for dieing otherwise what's the point in any defense but when dieing is the result of what I see is not what I get then some allowances need to be made in our use of scripts.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 23, 2014, 10:45:14 PM
"
SoonBanned wrote:
Put more spaces between your walls of text so we may consider reading it.

When did reading become such a hard thing for you to do?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info