How do I open strongboxes without dying?

Assuming that I'm not a pussy who plays a max-block-tank-everything build, is there a 100% way to open boxes without dying?

I have +70% movement speed, opening a box and running away has about 75% chance of success
Using a smoke mine has about 95% chance of success
Having enough dmg to instakill the spawning pack but die if there's a reflect mob has a 50% chance of success

Am I just not supposed to open boxes while trying to level at 90+ due to the random deaths without gear worth a billion ex, or am I missing some way to absolutely safely open them?
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
You don't no really even with god tier computers you will still partially freeze; Most people bring a shadow mine to counter that which works 50% of the time.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Lightning warp + increased duration.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Try quartz flasks. You ignore monsters blocking your path. They're pretty much designed with this in mind. Not 100%, but you don't get blocked in by the mobs.

Also, getting a SSD for your system really cuts load times. That's the lag you see... the drive loading all the effects it will need for the new monsters.
On my ranger I use vaal grace + granite + jade flask and just stand there usually, killing everything that pops out.

If it has ice nova I get Jess to open it because I am scared..
Don't let your life drop to zero.

...or consider some defense. You know, the "pussy" approach.
"
Assuming that I'm not a pussy who plays a max-block-tank-everything build, is there a 100% way to open boxes without dying?

I have +70% movement speed, opening a box and running away has about 75% chance of success
Using a smoke mine has about 95% chance of success
Having enough dmg to instakill the spawning pack but die if there's a reflect mob has a 50% chance of success

Am I just not supposed to open boxes while trying to level at 90+ due to the random deaths without gear worth a billion ex, or am I missing some way to absolutely safely open them?

According to Chris, you get someone else to do it.

GGG design at its finest.

WTB 1-2 sec delay on spawning monsters after clicking. Ergo.. WTB design that is fitting to the engine and netcode.
Casually casual.

I haven't tried quartz flask yet... Gonna give it a shot next.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Try quartz flasks. You ignore monsters blocking your path. They're pretty much designed with this in mind. Not 100%, but you don't get blocked in by the mobs.

Also, getting a SSD for your system really cuts load times. That's the lag you see... the drive loading all the effects it will need for the new monsters.

It's not the lag itself that kills me, it's the desync that pulls me back to the reach of the box. with perfect timing, I can run almost offscreen from the box before it opens, but more often than not I get teleported back as if I never moved away. Same issue with the 5% chance to fail with smoke mine; drop mine, open box, activate mine, get away from the box and desync back to it .5 seconds later.

I'm not whining about desync happening in general (although I don't love it), I'm just looking for a surefire way to prevent it.

"
Nubatron wrote:
Don't let your life drop to zero.

...or consider some defense. You know, the "pussy" approach.

Half-assed defense doesn't exactly cut it in 76+ maps. I'm not a glass cannon per se, but I can't stand and tank too many hits in high level maps either.

"
If 95% success rate isn't enough for you (smoke mine) and the death loss is that high (level 90+), then probably best just to leave them alone.

I figure if there were a 100% failsafe method of opening strongboxes without threat of dying, everyone would do it and GGG would have to patch it out. Risk vs reward and all that.

Edit: it might help if you specified which box affices are killing you.

I'd still appreciate it if boxes weren't a do-or-die 1-shot mechanic. And I don't think GGG has ever even heard of the "risk vs reward" - concept, considering how shitty the "reward" for some things are.

Anyway, going for quartz flask, hoping for good results!
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
4 freeze mines and 1 smoke mine. Have the freeze mine linked with cold pen - Ele prolif - Conc effect. Keeps the box frozen for a pretty long duration while you smoke away. Safer than that is impossible
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
ESC + EXIT is another option.

Open box. If you get stuck in the spawned mob, ESC + EXIT.

It is pretty full-proof, less connection issues.

Personally, I refuse to use Quartz Flasks because I think their existence is amazingly dumb.
I hate using ESC + EXIT too, but I still do.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
Last edited by Perfect_Black on Oct 20, 2014, 9:31:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info