Build idea: Cybil's Paw 75 block Molten Strike CoC Flame Surge... viable?

Still getting used to theorycrafting. I see a lot of potential synergy here, but what I'm not sure of is whether this build will deal enough damage and how to deal with reflect and sustain. Maybe you guys can help.

Offensively, the idea is to deal damage primarily with Cast on Crit Flame Surge on already ignited enemies, and to double dip on Cybil's Paw's LGoH properties with rapidly dealt spells and attacks. Getting capped block with Crest of Perandus and Tempest Shield scales both offense and defense. For mana sustain I propose to use Eldritch Battery with Clarity.

The Tree:
116pt tree
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYA5Rm0OPv1l5dFfCaVYeJVS4w25Y6ksV3ynWNwUonTcNXz6ioLEZYOSGyMnao2PeOES40egbTFYqz_HAW1wuwk_edUUUeNv02SI_aNfTB8o4rWin8rUg1b99o9Iuro1gkhz3qyGTIBmyYWv3cHhxOcpG-eykrDOpu1wONLV_GzgwniLAkz0TYVINi9NZK18m6qSsg_JypNfVusR1FMpldN4_6P8kX-CjrhpDnQgUfiIuLdSLjZAQm5fIwL7LBjQxutSO494rfT18vrFM3qf8bB86Kj2wuCHklR8NWVLgceCLE__OhmeA2pbg==

Tree highlights:

+31% chance to block with shields. Tempest Shield and Crest of Perandus gives us 75% block chance. This nets us +90% spell dmg with Cybil's Paw.

+174% max life. Decent for a build with no armour.

+332% generic crit chance and +60% crit chance with claws, +1 power charges. This gives us ~33% crit chance with Cybil's Paw and just under 26% crit chance with Flame Surge. We'll need to supplement this with Power Charges and/or global crit chance from gear.

+28% fire damage, +78% elemental damage, +12% spell damage, +45% crit multi. This is the damage we get from the tree. We can get another 70% crit multi with 4 points if you trade off 4 points from somewhere.

Gear:

Featured uniques:

Our core offence/defence comes from these two items.

Recommended uniques:

This will boost our Flame Surge damage as it's an area spell. Increasing the aoe of molten strike will potentially proc more hits, meaning more life gained and more cast on crit.

An well rounded pair of boots (for a unique anyway) which boosts our Flame Surge damage.

I don't have a Doryani's Invitation to link, but the fire version is an obvious good choice.

Potentially(?) useful uniques:

More crit chance, crit multi and attack speed. A rare es or eva/es glove with life/resists may be better here if defences are lacking.

Leaves us swimming in power charges all the time without spending a link. Makes the build way more glass-canon like though.

Anything that isn't unique should be rare es or eva/es pieces with life, resists and mana regen.

Gems:
Chest (RRGGGB) - Molten Strike

Molten Strike
Greater Multiple Projectiles
Cast on Critical Strike
Flame Surge
Multi Strike
Faster Attacks/Power Charge on Crit

Min-maxed for getting flame surges out in a hurry.

4L (RRBB) - Reservations

Reduced Mana
Eldritch Battery
Clarity
Tempest Shield

We may be able to fit Herald of Ice or Herald of Thunder on another link somewhere. Haven't worked out the numbers on this one yet

Other setups (mobility, automation, curse) to be decided.

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.
Quod efficax non stultum
On top of the low crit chance, Cybil's is sloooooooow. This is further compounded by the fact that you are using multistrike, which will lead to some painfully inconsistent proc-rates.

I briefly tested coc-flame surge between leagues and this is what I used

Spectral throw is ofcourse less damage than molten strike, but higher clearspeed.

Hope this helps, your build sounds pretty solid
My builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629242

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info