let's talk about your responses to "I Quit because loot system" threads

People who think they deserve anything in this game are, in my opinion, playing the wrong game.
You do not deserve anything.

Moreover, when playing a map of a certain level you get the chance to find some loot you won't find outside of that map - but making something really good that can only drop on one of those maps drop every time you play it would somehow make the game a bit boring, wouldn't it?

You're taking the risk of doing Atziri, you get the reward of the chance of her gloves, axe, ..- actually dropping for you. Of course, most of the time it's probably the flask that will drop.

That aside, how would the risk be calculated? I remember that in Sacrifice of the Vaal the corrupted area boss Metalsmith was considered to be very scary. So... high risk there, he should drop good stuff. However, for me he was never much of an issue, because Conversion Trap + Multitrap give him a taste of his own medicine, so to speak. The same goes for different boss/ build combinations. High risk for some, nearly no risk for others.

Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
johnKeys wrote:
something that really made my blood boil.

[li]how many times did you get a drop you felt you deserved?
earned with skill/dedication/knowledge?

Finding a helm of sprits in Diablo 1 was the last time I recall that feeling. Once you add something like "magic find" to a game, you can pretty much throw away any sense of drops being tied to a characters actions.

Think about it this way, how is a ghost carrying some heavy suit of armor? Where does a mudspitter stash that axe it dropped? Even if they could carry these items, does it make thematic sense for them to have these drops?

Now lets look at the flip side - Risk vs Reward. If you kill an huge ancient gold dragon, chances are that powerful monster has acquired a very nice stash of magical goodies.

That stash does NOT depend on how much of a challenge it was to kill the monster. It only depends on the monsters ability and desire to acquire and hoard items. Bigger badder monsters will likely have better loot. Whether the character that kills them is level 1 or 100.

Considering that, risk vs reward is no more realistic than magic finding + RNG.

Its a matter of what GGG and PoE players consider to be fun.

If you are saying that in your opinion, the RNG is too stingy, I can't disagree. That is your opinion.

If you are saying that the RNG is too streaky, well that' something GGG might be able to see from the data they have. It could be that way, or it could just be the way it feels due to the limited perspective one player can have.

I say that because I see some of the nice finds other players in my guild run across. Last season, I found 4 exalts and 3 divines, which is more than I've found in over 2 years worth of playing before that. This season I have found far more chaos orbs and gcps. I really haven't been mapping as much, so higher level uniques or top gear drops are't that great. They might be, if I had the ability to play as much as I wanted.

To sum up, I do think PoE has a risk vs reward system. If you don't play much, your risk missing out on RNG upswing streaks. If you don't play higher level maps (75-78) rolled with tough mods, than you risk never finding those items that make your heart pound in joy.

Push the limits of the game consistently, and you will have some drops that make you happy. Muck about in the comfortable range, and you'll seldom see anything exciting.

There's nothing wrong with that sort of RNG balance, IMO.

Sure, I'd like to find more great items and more high end orbs. Do I push the playing envelope enough to deserve them? Not at all. One of our guild members did push the game limits and received a reward commensurate with the challenge. I admire him for making that effort.

There is another far greater reward that is frequently overlooked in these threads:

The challenge is its own reward.

If you complete a tough challenge, isn't that satisfying? Would you rather be able to say, I climbed Mt Everest, or I found a 6L Shavronne's? Yeah, its a false dichotomy, but I think it clarifies why someone pursues something.

Personally, I'd rather struggle and succeed with a character, than have glorious drops and breeze through the game.

YMMV.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 20, 2014, 3:08:56 AM
"
Sure, I'd like to find more great items and more high end orbs.

Your wish, is my command.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
If you don't like RNG then start trading. If you don't like neither trading nor RNG then quitting is probably a good idea.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
People who are frustrated about not getting something in a video game, are usually that way because of their ignorance about the existence of a system and their unwillingness to learn, improve and finally master said system.

If you want to get items or currency in PoE, you can trade with other players and get everything you want.

But if you chose to sit on the ground and cry about not wanting to learn the system of success, then you are nothing more than a child.
"
Langbogen wrote:
People who are frustrated about not getting something in a video game, are usually that way because of their ignorance about the existence of a system and their unwillingness to learn, improve and finally master said system.

If you want to get items or currency in PoE, you can trade with other players and get everything you want.

But if you chose to sit on the ground and cry about not wanting to learn the system of success, then you are nothing more than a child.

But it's such fun running blue lvl 66 maps all day long
I actually have more respect for I quit because of desynch threads. Desync is qctually something that GGG would love to improve as well and not everyone is in a position to handle it well. (Financially, locality, mental fortitude, patience, etc)

Drops on the other hand, working as designed.

Usually when I see the threads mentioned in OP I just superimpose 'I quit because I failed at this game' in my head.

That's perfectly alright. pOE is not a everyone gets a trophy type of game. I love that part of it. The one sure fire way to win is to play the game to its fullest. It is challenging in a dynamic manner. Don't trade? That's fine but accept the outcome. Don't group? Ok, but accept what that means (I personally find solo easier than grouping). Don't want to MF? Same thing. Don't want to level beyond 80? Ok....well you get the point.

Be thankful for the I quit threads like those because that means it is hard, and they failed at something that you might succeed in. Challenge is good. Turnover over is natural. I would be more worried if it was more prevalent to have 'I've done everything and now I quit' threads. That to me would be something to worry about if it were common and true.
I'll admit i didn't read the whole thread, but for the part in regard to someone getting a drop that felt "deserved", i just gotta share my yesterday evening's story:

So, i had a 66 map in my stash which i found with 14% added quality from the get-go. Being bored and wanting to farm some xp on my level 74 duelist - but not wanting to take a risk of losing any xp from dying - i decided to add a chisel to that map (so it had 19%) and roll it to some easy mods (stopped at 40ish % group increase and mobs having 30ish % more life), then went in. I got a couple of things with good resists which i stashed, a couple of things for sale and materials, but the best drop in the map was this, my new sword:

After reading up on it, i felt quite proud to have gotten a pretty sword which has it's own rarity tier of all things and it definitely felt like i deserved to get it for rolling that low-level map to it's fullest potential. My 2 cents :)
Last edited by Tom7i on Oct 20, 2014, 7:54:53 AM
Every player quitting because of shitty droprates is a "You suck at balance" to the responsible dev.

It's a waste of money to advertise a game when 20% of the playerbase stay after some weeks and one month later it's only 10%.

Oh look:
April 2014 5,785.4 -2,808.6 -32.68% 10,266
Last 30 Days 6,755.1 -2,437.6 -26.52% 12,801

Making the leagues shorter won't help at all.
SC is a garbage league players can't afford anything there.
HC is a wasteland.
Only 2 challenge leagues left: Enjoy getting overwhelmed by nolifers, botters, RMTers and 24/7 flippers.

Did you just post stats of a higher retention rate?

Sweet

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info