let's talk about your responses to "I Quit because loot system" threads

I was one of these. Actually I have always been one of these...
Sigh
Agree with the hyperbole comment.

These are all straw-man arguments, underpinned by a narcissistic view of the game. JohnKeys is not unlike other players in this respect, but that doesn't change the fact that wanting the game to be reshaped to fit your ideals doesn't mean the game will be 'fixed'.

In fact, it's just as likely to alienate pretty much the exact same number of people who get alienated by the current design, if not more.

As for exalts - you can get them without them dropping. Just like shavs and the other things that people complain about.

GGG designed a game where trade benefits you in getting things you arbitrarily want (because you don't actually *need* anything, other than to achieve an outcome you have confected). Don't trade, don't open boxes, don't do anything if you like... It sounds like that's the best option for you!
Seriously, what is the purpose of a chance orb? It's utterly useless. You'll never make a unique.
x=== Drew
And yet I made two, just casually chancing maps this league. Oh sorry I meant WORTHLESS HURRRRR
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Seriously, what is the purpose of a chance orb? It's utterly useless. You'll never make a unique.

The likehood of getting a rare item is like 1 in 5.4 (not sure if this was changed). You can use many chance orbs (like 6 on average) and then recicle them to alchemy orbs or cartographer's chisels with recipes. To make this scheme worthwhile, you should be chancing good bases for uniques. If you get lucky, you recover what you invested. And if not, you still are gaining more currency in the long term.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCsPH2N69dk
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 22, 2014, 9:51:02 PM
"
off-topic, ad hominem

You... keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Spoiler

Well, people with IIR and IIQ seems to have consistently better loot for what I saw.

And yes, the 2000% increased rarity is useless, but you better know your math. Mirrored, +rare items, + aditional items are better ideas. I bet you are one of those that prefer a sword and not mathematics, but it's not like there is no skill involved.

You are being a little hyperbolic here.

Yes, the maps need to recognize difficulty, but no, you are not totally at the mercy of RNG, there are strategies that work for many people.

PS: agree with the exalt thing, but GGG should have to implement a replacement that doesn't feel so crap.

hyperbolic in that last post? a bit. and all to prove a very important point I've been trying to prove almost since day 1 of playing this game. almost 2 years now.

people with IIR and IIQ will have better loot in the long run. remember their dice have one side less than yours. but nothing is guaranteed by skill, and both you and them sure do feel the grind.
that's another important point I want to emphasize: grind is a part of ARPG just like RNG is.
but just like there is a "good" use of RNG and a "bad" one, the same applies to grind: many good games will make you grind, without really noticing you are actually repeating the same task over and over.
from simple tricks - like for example giving you the same quest, but with a bit different wording and a bit different monster composition - to more complex, even psychologically-based methods.

true, there's an end to content. but existing content can be randomized in so many ways, to provide more options and lessen the feeling of the grind. that's actually one of the reasons RNG is for, in the first place. of "good" RNG. the one that randomizes you areas, quests, monsters... not the one that trolls you with a white one-socket that's not even worth picking up, after you barely survived some crazy fight with an almost empty life pool, then gives you an Exalt from a barrel when casually strolling through an area a dozen levels under your character (true story).

I'm not saying MF area runs or boss runs shouldn't be the next best thing after trade. they always were, in most ARPGs I played.
I'm saying carefully-constructed risk/reward and progression mechanisms, that encourage you to constantly take that challenge you're not sure your character is ready for yet, plus a "safety net" that creates the illusion of "new content" to lessen the impact of bare-bones grind - should be here too.

finally, Mathematics is the second love of my life, after my family.
I am after all a mathematically-educated coder. but when playing a video game of killing beasties and collecting loot to kill more beasties - yes, I do indeed prefer the sword.

prefer the game telling me "you kill things, and I'll take care of the rest", even if that means I'll have lesser gear compared to the people with the spreadsheets, who dumbly rush Dominus a thousand times in a row, and certainly compared to trade tycoons who meticulously study the orb-price of every single item in the game.
I don't care. just give me something.
something good just for once, considering I'm here playing for about two thousand hours, and beat roughly 90% of all there is to beat, and 100% of all I had access to.
I know the above guys are finishing their entire stable, and filling their coffers with stacks of Exalts.
I don't care. just please, for the love of god, let me at least finish one or two characters.
let me use the awesome, epic skill tree and gems systems to experiment and plan my builds - without constantly worrying about how many fucking Exalted Dollars it would take.
yes, I know the trade-tycoon's version of the exact same tree and gems will be better, because mirrored gear and 20/20 and/or corrupted gems. I. don't. care.

which brings us back to the thread's topic and #1 objective: if you think anyone who ever experienced the same shaft up the arse from RNG as I have, for half as long, and considers just giving up on this game, to be "less hardcore" or worthy of trolling/disrespect - think again!
no one has the fucking right to troll anyone, who has been screwed by Path Of Exile, into leaving Path Of Exile.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 23, 2014, 3:04:38 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:

true, there's an end to content. but existing content can be randomized in so many ways, to provide more options and lessen the feeling of the grind. that's actually one of the reasons RNG is for, in the first place. of "good" RNG. the one that randomizes you areas, quests, monsters... not the one that trolls you with a white one-socket that's not even worth picking up, after you barely survived some crazy fight with an almost empty life pool, then gives you an Exalt from a barrel when casually strolling through an area a dozen levels under your character (true story).

I'm not saying MF area runs or boss runs shouldn't be the next best thing after trade. they always were, in most ARPGs I played.
I'm saying carefully-constructed risk/reward and progression mechanisms, that encourage you to constantly take that challenge you're not sure your character is ready for yet, plus a "safety net" that creates the illusion of "new content" to lessen the impact of bare-bones grind - should be here too.

How frequent are bad luck streaks really? I've seen bad outcomes (like empty strongboxes), but not enough to feel the system is unfair.
How do you determine when an outcome is rewarding enough? How do you avoid the hedonistic adaptation trap? (for example, Atziri's loot table is a good example of how even getting uniques every run seems to suck)

About the risk reward thing, how would you identify how much a risk should be rewarded without ruining build diversity? (i.e.: a risk is easier for a build, so everyone gravitates to that one and goodbye diversity)

And the whole safety net...I can't understand.

PS: don't rely on the sword, that's not the skill that will make you great in a cerebral game like this.
One thousand hours of brute force will not achieve a lot.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 23, 2014, 2:39:07 AM
"
keta wrote:

Better than unique.

So, really? Seriously, I don't get what can be interesting in simple stat bearer comparing to smth with unique property...
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
Last edited by tmaciak on Oct 23, 2014, 6:27:46 AM
"
1988288 wrote:
Linear progression is the worst thing.

No, buying your progression is the worst thing. And PoE excels in it.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info