Programmers!

Any other programmers/people learning programming on this forum?

About me:
I'm currently teaching myself C++ as my first programming language and starting to use the Allegro 5.1 game programming library. Games are the main reason I got into programming because I always thought it would be cool to make my own game. I'm starting to really enjoy programming because I'm always learning new things so it never gets boring! Someday I hope to be good enough at programming to be able to work on a game such as Path of Exile.

Books I've read so far:
C++ Without Fear
Practical C++ Programming, Second Edition
Effective C++

Currently reading:
More Effective C++
Programming Pearls
Code Complete

For programmers/people learning to program:
What language(s) are you learning/using?
What made you want to get into programming?
If you work as a programmer, do you enjoy your job? If so, what makes it enjoyable?
What projects are you currently working on?
Do you have any programming books you would recommend reading?
Off your post a little but I would suggest that you pick up a book on Objective-C, Mac/IoSx ....there's gold in them apps/games my friend. =P
#1 Loot-Hor
Hi

I'm a College student in Computer Science.

Currently I'm learning C# and Java. I've basic knowledge in VB, but when you can program in Java and C#, VB is peace of cake. Soon I'm going to learn C++ (for game developing).

My cousin (8 years older than me) also studied Computer Science. I was very fascinated how he could write his own programs. When I saw that, I knew I wanted to be a programmer.

As a student, I don't have many project. In Summer, a good friend of mine and me are going to make a (small) game just for fun. This game will be made in the XNA framework for C#. Maybe we'll make a game in C++ too. The game will be a 2D game (I just love 2D games!) just like Final Fantasy.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!
I actually enjoy C# much more than VB. To me it just makes so much sense. Currently studying ASP.NET w/ MVC 4.5. Cool stuff guise.
well... right now, all i know is C, and am currently learning entity programming with java... also selfstuying python every now and then
I started learning programming in Pascal LOL
it was essential to our games development course.
Traditional Programming languages: Java, C/C++, Pascal/Delphi, Eloquence (I bet nobody here have even heard of it) and some Assembly.
Script/markup: HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript etc.
As a kid I loved to make the computer at home do stuff, started with some simple HTML and the LEGO Mindstorms drag and drop programming thingy. This developed as I grew older and later when to study Computer Science and Engineering at the University.
If you work as a programmer, do you enjoy your job? If so, what makes it enjoyable?
I started my job just 2 months ago but so far I really enjoy it. In my work it is really more talking to coworkers/customers than programming but it is still programming related. ATM I'm working on some simple stuff to learn our system which is huge and written in a language that I didn't know existed until my interview. And stuff like database conversion, from the customers old business system to our system.
I have several small work related projects that wouldn't really make sense to explain about here. But I have some private PoE related projects going on. Like my very popular ladder monitor (see my signature for more info) and some unannounced projects.
I have a tone at home but there is not many that I could recommend. Reading a lot of forums about programming is how I have learned most of what I know.
"

Nothing wrong with Pascal, It's easy to learn and quite powerful. I know a few people that makes market leading software with Pascal/Delphi.

Script: TCL, perl, bash, powershell, and psql

After my tour overseas, I came back home and couldn't find any work...for like 6 months. I finally got an internship with a healthcare company, and I told myself that I was never going to put myself in a situation where I couldn't get work again. Having been around computers all my life anyways, and working in that field in the military, Information Technology was obviously the best choice. I started out as a regular deskside tech with the internship and even as an intern pushed myself to working 80ish hours a week(anything over 40 was without pay). Hired on as an FTE shortly after, and found my love for the healthcare technology industry.

Which led me to working on healthcare information systems for hospitals and healthcare financial systems. By the end of my 2 year stint at the company, I had become "the guy" working on everything from laboratory analyzers, surgical scheduling systems, radiology PACS servers, interface engines, etc. Due to this, a good amount of the issues that couldn't be solved by anyone else at the company started landing on my desk and I found myself being drawn more towards scripting as a means to fix these issues - particularly perl and bash scripting.

So I self taught myself what I need to know for each issue and occasion that rose, and then began dabbling in server administration to do the rest of it. Eventually getting myself into sql to edit databases for information that couldn't be edited through front-end user consoles/applications.

I do very little programming/scripting now, TCL is mainly all I do with some psql. I build the medical interfaces between healthcare applications so that these applications can talk to one another and do a large amount of data manipulation and big data trafficking.

I absolutely love my job. I work for a small anti-doping/drug-testing laboratory now doing their interface work, and it's a very family/team oriented company. 5 weeks of vacation a year, quarterly and holiday bonuses, lots of sick and family time, as much on-site or off-site training as I want to all paid for by the company. Both the work and the environment is something I'm proud to be apart of :)

I have 37 mini-projects right now that I'm currently managing/working on(I double act as a project manager as well) for interface implementation to pain management clinics across the US.

I have 4 capital projects that I'm working on for better workflow and cost-reduction targets.

I have one federal project I'm working on for healthcare information exchanges so that health data that's collected can go into a centralized repository for better testing/information gathering at the university and national levels.

I don't think I ever set down and actually read a book on programming. The only one I keep handy on my desk at this point is Practical Programming in TCL and TK which is pretty much the bible for TCL scripters/programmers. Everything that I learned I just googled -shrugs- :P
Last edited by Elynole on Jan 25, 2013, 11:06:15 AM
"
Kemichal wrote:
"

Nothing wrong with Pascal, It's easy to learn and quite powerful. I know a few people that makes market leading software with Pascal/Delphi.

Like most of the people around here I started Computer Science Eng. because I wanted to know to do games ( :D ), went to college and got a Eng degree ( long long way to get it :P )

Actually nothing wrong with it, when I went to college I started with Modula-2 ( Same as Pascal ), and the fun begins.

I felt in love of C and the dark things you can accomplish with it.

Assembler was a mind blow, programming at low level is amazing and do links with C or Pascal. I recall a project where we needed to handle graphics with ASM ( sprites ) and logic/mechanic with C that was really fun.

Well but now I didn't became a gamer coder ( :( ) now I am a DBA.

Modula-2/Pascal, C/C++, C#, I have VB, Prolog (didn't get it), Scheme, Lisp.
ASM, Assembler for MIPS,

Cheer to all of you hope I can see you in game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info