About rampage.

So after reading this thread "say one word about rampage bla bla bla", i notice quite a lot of unsatisfied players.

So i would like to offer my opinion on why i think GGG did what they did and why i consider it a valuable addition to the core game.

First off, we should consider these league's became available with the introduction of the FM x-pac, this is relevant due to budget and investment constraints. I am sure some of the resources normally available for a league where absorbed by the FM-xpac.

My second point about this mechanic is the following, for a new player i consider this mechanic valuable.

1) it provides additional buffs
2) it demonstrates effect's one can normally not unlock early in the game (chained projectiles for example)
3) it gives a side-goal "how high can i get this rampage going", which might keep a player engaged longer.

2) is extremely valuable for GGG when considering new players. As it stands, the game is quite "dull" when you first engage in it. Gem combinations are locked away behind the gem's and available links, thus ensuring a player can only unlock them at a higher difficulty level when first entering the game, creating a sense of character development.

The downside to this approach is obvious, the game is forcibly kept "dull" and "simplistic" in the earlier stages.

Rampage covers this perfectly, it provides a sense of what might be possible later on while not simply giving it to the player, thus keeping the power curve in check, while enticing a potential new player.

I think people should try to consider this mechanic as if they just entered the game.(try to think back to that very first day you put your foot on the beach and then imagine the rampage bonus being present.)

Also the buff itself loses a lot of meaning higher in the content, which fits perfectly with the game since at that point your character can do a lot of amazing *pew pew bling bling* stuff himself.

So i hope that makes it sort of clear why i consider this a good buff overall to the core experience of the game, while i agree it is not really "league material" i still think it was smart to test it during this league since it both solves the need for creating league content and the impact it has on the core game.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Yeah it would have been totally unreasonable to have a contest and allow the community to create a league that wasnt such a joke, right?

The absolute extent of rampage is running a pack size sea witch strand/canyon/gorge and then enjoying a fresh economy.
"just for try, for see and for know"
I largely agree with your points, Boem, and think that the Rampage mechanic blends very well with the core game. People who are QQing about Rampage must only be thinking of themselves and not thinking about how clean and appropriate the Rampage mechanic actually feels as an addition to the core game. Imo, Rampage has been well executed and a success.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
Last edited by Perfect_Black on Oct 19, 2014, 2:47:24 PM
"
Perfect_Black wrote:
I largely agree with your points, Boem, and think that the Rampage mechanic blends very well with the core game. People who are QQing about Rampage must only be thinking of themselves and not thinking about how clean and appropriate the Rampage mechanic actually feels as an addition to the core game. Imo, Rampage has been well executed and a success.

Agreed, theres only so many things to implement in these type of games & GGG still manages to keep idea's coming...

If people want to complain--should add a suggestion...
"
jdilly23 wrote:
Yeah it would have been totally unreasonable to have a contest and allow the community to create a league that wasnt such a joke, right?

The absolute extent of rampage is running a pack size sea witch strand/canyon/gorge and then enjoying a fresh economy.

Not sure if trolling or ignorant?

And about that second piece of your post, that just shows me your spoiled, a new league could exist purely of a new economy and it would still be considered a "success" just because of it. so yeah. . .

Peace,

-Boem-
Last edited by Boem on Oct 19, 2014, 3:20:52 PM
Ah moved to feedback.

Not sure why that is, it's my personal interpretation of rampage and how it is relevant to the core game up for discussion.

Well now this thread has lost it's purpose, let it RiP.

Peace,

-Boem-
Rampage is the cheesiest braindead gimmick yet. There's nothing PoE needed less than a steroid boost to the crackhead pace of faceroll party play. With more than 2-3 players, the battlefield is deluged with a graphic puke-fest and littered with piles of white garbage. If this is what GGG considers engrossing gameplay I think they should lay off the caffeine and give us some graphics and drop-filtering options already.
"
Boem wrote:
"
jdilly23 wrote:

Not sure if trolling or ignorant?

And about that second piece of your post, that just shows me your spoiled, a new league could exist purely of a new economy and it would still be considered a "success" just because of it. so yeah. . .

Peace,

-Boem-

The community is dedicated - they could come up with a thousand ideas that would be better than rampage.

I wouldnt complain about leagues that only have fresh economies, I expect that for future leagues.

But when you release one interesting league (Beyond) and one pathetic attempt, it looks like a pathetic attempt :)

"just for try, for see and for know"
"
Perfect_Black wrote:
addition to the core game.

Thats it, exactly. Some leagues will be alyways better than other leagues. But its always good for the core game as you said

"
jdilly23 wrote:

I wouldnt complain about leagues that only have fresh economies, I expect that for future leagues.

I wouldnt neither. Maybe in some time my pc wont be able to handle all the new features hehe
Spoiler

-Boxes: exile inside shits on my pc
-rampage bonuses: when you land a rampage spell in 360 degree my pc lags too (like ice spears)
-Vorici missions: when i spot an exile my fps drops/screen freeze for 0.5 - 1 sec
-Shrine Piety: when i see her my screen freezes for 0.5 secs
-Some hideouts (catarina one) kills my fps (literally) i get like 2-5 fps even while i dont move LOL
Last edited by sanleon on Oct 19, 2014, 4:16:43 PM
"
jdilly23 wrote:
The community is dedicated - they could come up with a thousand ideas that would be better than rampage.

But when you release one interesting league (Beyond) and one pathetic attempt, it looks like a pathetic attempt :)

Ok i got what you mean. However, beyond is simply a rehash of invasion and there have been plenty of comments about how poor the models are and how boring the unit's are.

This is in line with the "not a lot of resources/development time" i hinted to in my OP. And rampage is a good addition to the core game, so i expect GGG wanted to test this mechanic prior to implementation.
(beta-league's and all that jazz)

So really where you see beyond as better then rampage, i see no such thing. both seem poorly executed/developed in comparison to previous league's.

Also about your "let the community make something, it would have surpassed rampage", are you willing to take that deal given the community only get's the same resources and time as GGG spent on rampage.(which is why i thought you where trolling.)

I think GGG played it smart, rampage needed to be beta tested one way or another and know they can "blame" FM for that :p.

Peace,

-Boem-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info