Linux Performance

I'm currently using PlayOnLinux on Xubuntu 14.04.

I'm using an Intel NUC (because my laptop is getting repaired)

Does anyone have suggestions for performance? When I'm running around town I get about 30-40 FPS. When I use skills it drops to about 7 or 8.

I've seen some people suggesting to just use wine/winetricks and skip PlayOnLinux for performance reasons. Is this statement still accurate? I've already turned off VSync and changed settings to low. Any other suggestions?
Linux is not officially supported. I'm afraid the only support you'll get on it is likely in the Wine Linux thread in one of the Discussion forums. GGG cannot support it here because it is not supported as a valid platform for PoE.

Sorry.. good luck.

P.S. PlayOnLinux IS Wine. PlayOnLinux doesn't do anything different than Wine and WineTricks other than making it easier to run parallel versions of wine and make some configuration options easier. You can also use WineTricks with PlayOnLinux.
Last edited by Drakier on Oct 18, 2014, 10:48:22 PM
Don't expect much from that Intel HD Graphics 4000.

You might want to try some things mentioned in the last 10 pages of the wine thread, as there's a performance bug in unpatched current versions of wine with PoE 1.2. Like Drakier said, you can use winetricks with POL, or you can use the POL menu for most of those things (tweaking FBO etc).
I've actually been quite impressed with the performance (despite the fact that it's an integrated card)

The strange thing is that it doesn't matter what resolution I run at (800x600 in full screen, or 1920x1200 in windowed fullscreen). The FPS is the same for both of these resolutions, and slows down when I start casting spells. To me, this indicates that it's not a pure performance issue and there could be something else to it.

Thanks for the advice. I was led to believe that the version of Wine that PlayOnLinux uses was slightly outdated. I understand it's not officially supported, and I'll check out the last few pages of the thread you mentioned.

On a side note - I actually notice better performance with 2 x Anisotropic Filtering than Trilinear Filtering
Thanks for your suggestions. I updated the version of Wine I was using and it seems to run a lot smoother. The on thing I can't quite get to work is disabling GLSL. I definitely notice the lag when new spells are cast, and when I try to disable GLSL the game has a black login screen and crashes when the game starts. Am I missing something?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info