please GGG, for the love of god, fix Strongboxes

What's the problem with boxes?
I never died if i used any movement skill right after opening the box. Hell, I even stopped to identify them.
Yes, there are milliseconds of lag/loading mobs, but I ve never seen mobs hitting me during that time. But probably the better solution would be generating content during the identify/instance creation/rerolling phase.
"
bvnl wrote:
What's the problem with boxes?
I never died if i used any movement skill right after opening the box. Hell, I even stopped to identify them.
Yes, there are milliseconds of lag/loading mobs, but I ve never seen mobs hitting me during that time. But probably the better solution would be generating content during the identify/instance creation/rerolling phase.

those milliseconds can - and do - turn into precious seconds on weaker hardware and/or poorer connection than yours.
in my case in this RIP, long seconds where I couldn't do as much as use a flask, let alone a movement skill.

strongboxes are always a kind of Russian Roulette to me.
especially ones that have Rogue Exiles in them - which alone can for some inexplicable reason extend the screen-freeze period, from seconds to as much as half a minute.

and even if you don't see mobs hitting you, they still can on the server-side.
if my hypothesis in OP is correct, and they spawned close enough to you and/or are able to quickly cover the distance.

generating content during identify/reroll phases, can make such phases extremely inefficient/hardware-intensive.
if you are re-rolling/id a string and haven't yet opened the box - it should remain just a string rather than a full-blown instance of "mobs".

generating during area instance creation is a viable solution, assuming these are same monster types as in the rest of the area.
though there still is a need to optimize RNG on-the-spot generation of the monsters' mods, and handle the special case of Rogue Exiles.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 20, 2014, 2:28:08 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
HarukaTeno wrote:

It's a feedback forum, people give feedback.
People break and return.

I'm not really seeing why you find issue with either of these.

Am I to understand you don't think people should give feedback and that anyone who for whatever reason stops playing PoE, they should never, ever return?

Man, GGG are gonna love you for that advice. Something tells me they would rather have both feedback and players return.

Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

1) Feedback? Oh please...
How i love to talk to such people.
You (and people like you) never answer the "tricky" questions (or even funnier, reasonable and simple questions) directed to them. They will avoid those at any cost (and you didn't answer my questions btw)

They would never admit that they're wrong. They can't stand the fact that someone have another opinion (which differs from their). It's more frustrating for such people when that "someone" appears to be right while they are not (or posted valid counter-arguments\valid reasons not to do X\useful advices\etc)

They have no counter-arguments to simple questions and (almost always) will start personal attacks (which you already did).

Who (and when) said that if it's "a feedback" - you can't get a feedback on it?
Or are you among those who think that their opinion is "The only" and superior?

2) Returning? You are always welcome. But...
Weird, but every "returner" is always starting another hate-storm like:
  • "i've returned but desync is still here" (surprise: it will always be here)
  • "you didn't made everything drop from every monster - you're bad company"
  • "you've banned another my character - you're awful" (yeah because you violated the rules again by using same hacks, but will never admit it, easier to blame everyone else)
  • and other lovely examples.

In short - you can call it "deliberate sabotage". Commited out of revenge (like "avengers" think), but in reality it's coming from the feelings of own insignificance.
Well-known practice to flood the "feedback" of any company with bad reviews (done by fake accounts).

OP, for example (and despite the fact that he is not a "quitter" nor a "returner"), is doing it regularly, by creating relatively useless threads daily.
It seems that this practice already received "support" from some other forum members (let's not call names for now).

3) My issues?
I don't have problems with "stop doing bad\frustrating things".
There were other games which became unreasonably hard to play either because of F2P becoming mandatory, or DEVs turning class mechanics upside down constantly, or anything else.
Different amounts of $ were "donated" to those games.
Well, what's the point to fool yourself and stay - so i said "goodbye" to all of those and never regret it. And will do the same with PoE.

But it seems really hard to do for you, johnkeys and other people. You are still here, eating cacti and weep all over the forum. Keep doing this and don't forget to blame the "cruel world".
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
"
"
Jojas wrote:
"
While there is no disputing the performance issues, you do have a fighting chance, and there exist options to counter the issues.

I'm sorry, but no. If I have to go to the options menu to tone down the graphics just to not die within a second of freeze it's simply unacceptable.

The whole point is that you dont have to do that.

Trust me I play on a toaster-potato hybrid as well, I get 0.5-3 sec 0 FPS drops when opening boxes, pop a Jade or Granite and Smoke Mine or LW away and survive 95% of the time, I classify that as a fighting chance.

Just by admitting that FPS Drops happening from opening strongboxes, you also admits that the current game engine doesn't support it in any way.

Is it really that hard to make Strongboxes preload?
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505
I once did place a smoke mine when opening a box. It had a rogue exile. I tapped my 'D' button, and instead of being safe, I found my corpse, trodden on by Vickas Giantbone and a bunch of Crematorium mobs. That's after a 2-second client freeze. Even the quartz flask in my inventory wouldn't save me in that situation.
Another quality ZAP! post.
"
chimpanzee wrote:
Even the quartz flask in my inventory wouldn't save me in that situation.

Quartz flask is a design abomination, a 'hack' created to circumvent technical issues. Basically 'IDCLIP' cheat, in form of a gameplay item.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Oct 22, 2014, 5:03:31 PM
Would be nice to see the loading fixed so that these 'tactics' that people use more for workarounds to the problem aren't needed as much, but can still be used if they so desire. But again, another one of those 'Game engine and netcode being poor and has been in dire need of fixing since forever' cases that pops up way more than it should.
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
Spoiler
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
HarukaTeno wrote:

It's a feedback forum, people give feedback.
People break and return.

I'm not really seeing why you find issue with either of these.

Am I to understand you don't think people should give feedback and that anyone who for whatever reason stops playing PoE, they should never, ever return?

Man, GGG are gonna love you for that advice. Something tells me they would rather have both feedback and players return.

Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

1) Feedback? Oh please...
How i love to talk to such people.
You (and people like you) never answer the "tricky" questions (or even funnier, reasonable and simple questions) directed to them. They will avoid those at any cost (and you didn't answer my questions btw)

They would never admit that they're wrong. They can't stand the fact that someone have another opinion (which differs from their). It's more frustrating for such people when that "someone" appears to be right while they are not (or posted valid counter-arguments\valid reasons not to do X\useful advices\etc)

They have no counter-arguments to simple questions and (almost always) will start personal attacks (which you already did).

Who (and when) said that if it's "a feedback" - you can't get a feedback on it?
Or are you among those who think that their opinion is "The only" and superior?

2) Returning? You are always welcome. But...
Weird, but every "returner" is always starting another hate-storm like:
  • "i've returned but desync is still here" (surprise: it will always be here)
  • "you didn't made everything drop from every monster - you're bad company"
  • "you've banned another my character - you're awful" (yeah because you violated the rules again by using same hacks, but will never admit it, easier to blame everyone else)
  • and other lovely examples.

In short - you can call it "deliberate sabotage". Commited out of revenge (like "avengers" think), but in reality it's coming from the feelings of own insignificance.
Well-known practice to flood the "feedback" of any company with bad reviews (done by fake accounts).

OP, for example (and despite the fact that he is not a "quitter" nor a "returner"), is doing it regularly, by creating relatively useless threads daily.
It seems that this practice already received "support" from some other forum members (let's not call names for now).

3) My issues?
I don't have problems with "stop doing bad\frustrating things".
There were other games which became unreasonably hard to play either because of F2P becoming mandatory, or DEVs turning class mechanics upside down constantly, or anything else.
Different amounts of $ were "donated" to those games.
Well, what's the point to fool yourself and stay - so i said "goodbye" to all of those and never regret it. And will do the same with PoE.

But it seems really hard to do for you, johnkeys and other people. You are still here, eating cacti and weep all over the forum. Keep doing this and don't forget to blame the "cruel world".

Dude, seek help.

Please.
Casually casual.

Suggested Fix: An OPTION to have a 15 second delay where absolutely nothing happens upon opening any box. No monsters show, no graphical effects. Then BAM! Everything happens. During that 15 seconds, the game would be loading all the stuff it would need to load. People with slower machines would have a chance to open boxes with the same "safety" as a person who could load stuff faster.
I don't care how - just fix it. Ten mins ago I just died - again - from a rogue exile box. That seems to be the worst mod, by far.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info