Dual wielding question

When dual wielding, which would have more dps, Cleave or Dual Strike?
Use cleave and heavy strike get rid of dual strike no damage.
dual strike will have more damage on a single target.
cleave have lesser damage on a single target
Race? Season points? Nah. Not my thing.
Cleave is comparable to dual strike+melee splash. I enjoy the mechanics and -1 gem of cleave for aoe once multi-strike is worked in.
The meta at higher tiers is Cleave + Conc Effect which severely beats Dual Strike, however, until you can get a Carcass Jack to negate the reduced AoE (and the top tier eq to go with it) Dualstrike + Melee Splash tends to be a better choice as you start out.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.
Cool thanks for the replies guys
I like cleave, my 91 duelist uses it! I have curse on hit hooked up to my leap so I can just leap into a pack and melt them down with cleave! Reasons I like it, it serves both aoe and single target needs mine is currently at 30k tooltip dps at 12.5 attacks per second! In order to get aoe dps on dual strike you have to couple it with melee splash which is a extra slot you could fill with another dps support! And I just like the feel and sound of the attack and general!
Maths:
(20/20 on all gems)

Dual Strike: 1.8 damage multiplier, +57% damage, 80% crit chance
Splash: 0.84/0.69 Dps Multiplier, +57% damage, 14+20% = AoE
-> 1.51/1.24 Damage ST/AoE, +114% damage, 16.8 AoE, +80%crit

Cleave: 1.3 damage multiplier, 76% damage, 10% attackspeed, 20 AoE
Conc Effect: 0.69 damage multiplier, 0.7 AoE, 15% mana cost
-> 2.19 Damage, +76% damage, 14 AoE, 10% attack speed, 15% mana cost

As both variations may wear Carcass Jack or spec into Amplify, I leave the AoE numbers as they are.

Dual Strike has:
Less damage, bigger AoE, better AoE (splashing on a target is way more AoE than having a half circle on the character), crit and more "increased damage" (difficult to calculate, but will most likely still be inferior to Cleave+Conc).

Cleve has:
More Damage, more attack speed, less AoE.

For anything that can actually cleave (Axes, Swords), going Cleave should lead to superior damage output, but your AoE really suffers.

For some weird Crit Axe/Sword build, I'd still take Dual Strike.

For the rest: they don't have a choice. ;)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
(splashing on a target is way more AoE than having a half circle on the character)

Questionable at best tbh. Melee Splash's AoE covers your character and the targeted monster, whereas Cleave starts at the edge of your collision. Cleave hits far more to the side, Melee Splash reaches further.

Additionally, you need to be in standard Melee range to land Melee Splash (6 for a 1h Sword, 5 for a 1h Axe), whereas Cleave can be used at its maximum range.
It's depending a bit on the situation, but a full and wider circle covers more area than a smaller half circle. This is not "questionable at best", this is math.
pi*r^2 > pi/2*r^2, especially when the second r is smaller than the first... ;)

Made some crazy art in Paint:
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 19, 2014, 9:42:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info