Block is easymode

Why should I block anything when I oneshot my enemies?

Why should I rely on block rng to save me on big hits when I can just tank them and immediatly leech back to full?

Why should I block when I can offscreen everything?

Why should I block when I can become 100% physical immune and almost immune to elemental in couple of keystrokes?

Yeah, so OP! Waiting whats "op" tomorrow.

Okay, I play block build and post was not so serious.. but I still think there are more op things than block.

Oh I actually didnt notice title says "easymode", not op. Then I kinda agree :D
Last edited by Kullevi on Oct 17, 2014, 8:11:28 AM
"
GodKas wrote:
does it make sense for blocking to negate full damage?
If you block attack by shield, you take damage of course
blocking is not mythical absorption

If the investment is not worth the result, people will simply never utilize block again.

In it's current state it is balanced. One needs roughly 30+- points to max out block (depending on shield and location) and in return get's a very solid increase in EHP value. These points cannot be utilized on other stats, offensive or defensive alike, that's a very good cost for it's result.

"
sidtherat wrote:
block is expensive? maxing it - yep. optimizing it? no

shield alone REMOVES 30% attack damage from the game - both ele and phys. REMOVES it. no cost, nothing.

there are good block nodes and nodes that one HAS to take because of pathing or simply because cost of not taking these is higher.

good shield and few nodes (some block nodes are currently coupled with offensive nodes! like sword 'U' cluster near ranger) == ~50% attack damage REMOVED from the equation. for horrific cost of 'wearing a shield' and 'spending 5 nodes'.. would love to have that option for 2h

sure, there is no entropy (That plays ZERO role in practical scenario) and one cannot use 2 hander (joke ofc) but this is practically free

it taking ENTIRE hit is absurd. other games have flat absorption or at least diminishing returns. poe has 100% absorption. block stun is irrelevant. noone have noticed it in game ever. block recovery is the most laughable stat atm. 1 thorns at least does something

if block stun was like 50x longer than maybe high block builds would make more 'sense' - some kind of tradeof

but currently - some block, some dodge, some whatever and one wonders why cwdt does not proc. (max block is ofc more effective but costs a lot, much better to take another one or two mechanics also in 'some' quantity)

spell block is broken for other reasons - it is gated behind items that only SOME builds can use. given the nature of late game 'balance' it is spells that kill players and because of that spell block is considered (by my at least) mandatory.

I don't think you disagree with me or that this post was aimed at me, i think you have more issue's with the state of which 2-handers are in and i personally agree with you on that. You know this, i already defended this viewpoint in other threads around this issue.

This thread is about block, not 2-handers viability compared to block users. Or am i mistaking your post?
If so elaborate please good sir.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Simple solution: rares and bosses start having block penetration as a stat thrown into the mix.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
Simple solution: rares and bosses start having block penetration as a stat thrown into the mix.

+1
Block is fine it isnt even worth the investment on high Es CI builds. Take those block nodes and invest in more es instead and youll have a much better tank character. It also dosnt save you from being 1 shot it just makes the 1 shot happen less often same with dodge and evasion.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
Antnee wrote:

If they do that, they should also give bosses and rares blind, culling strike and special attacks that always deal % of your es/life pool. They should also make IC 50% phys dmg reduction instead of 100%. Also cap max resistances to 85%.
"
Kullevi wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:

If they do that, they should also give bosses and rares blind, culling strike and special attacks that always deal % of your es/life pool. They should also make IC 50% phys dmg reduction instead of 100%. Also cap max resistances to 85%.

I like this too
"
Block is fine it isnt even worth the investment on high Es CI builds. Take those block nodes and invest in more es instead and youll have a much better tank character. It also dosnt save you from being 1 shot it just makes the 1 shot happen less often same with dodge and evasion.

Apart from Flameblasts and Vaal Smash there aren't really many actual one shots, it may be appear to be effectively one shot as the damage happens in a single instance but it's always multiple hits, some percentage of which can be blocked.

Example: My current main is evasion/block reaver using Abysuss, when it gets hit it gets hit very hard by physical. Without spell block physical spell bosses (Labyrinth/JungleValley) "one shot" the character, really its a volley of EK and flicker strikes that hit at the same moment. With spell block(35% is enough) the encounters are survivable.

Block is pretty OP in my opinion. But on the other hand it makes awesome items like Abysuss viable so...
i always thought like OP.. block is op and easy mode last year when i started to play eva block based chars i realized how much they cost point in tree. sure bor is an option but losing 6l armor with crap bor gem setup is not accaptable for end game map clearing(i talk about skyrocket map clearing speed thats what i used to do)..

so i partly agree with op its so strong but needs heavy investment on tree and items.

buuuut, there is 1 thing that makes me mad in poe is block comes with zero drawback in gameplay with zero 'block recovery' investment on tree.. only charge attacks tend to stun or hit you block recovery animation.. nvm maybe i want to much thing from 'NOT FINISHED' game in my eyes..

ye there is 1billion years to finish this game with this GGG current situation. i know balancing a game is fucking pain but come on every ladder it gets worse its only me think like that ?
"
GodKas wrote:

If you block attack by shield, you take damage of course

No you don't.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info