Where's the Love for Elemental Attack Builds?

"
TokyoToho wrote:
keystone/node with the actual wording "1-2% of elemental attack damage leeched as mana/life" would be sweet

Yes, yes it would be. Something like this would help build diversity, not harm it. Nice post, Tokyo.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
It died with LA and cleave. Rip
Pure Elemental Damage builds were never meant to be used (except casters). Almost every weapon has a physical damage base (only 2 I can think of that don't Storm Cloud & Oro's Sacrifice and both have very low crit %) Almost all Skill gems scale with physical damage. All tree and Gear leech were physical damage leech until they recently added a few ways to get a little elemental leech on gear. It just seems they want you to either be a pure physical damage user, a hybrid physical/elemental user or be a Caster.
"
sfbistimg wrote:
Pure Elemental Damage builds were never meant to be used (except casters).

Maybe that was true for a while (not so much now with the weapons you mentioned plus Hyaon's Fury), but they're here to stay and it would be beneficial to encourage their use. More diversity means deeper gameplay and more builds to explore, which translates into more time that players spend in the game.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Oct 17, 2014, 1:56:17 PM
"
Tempada wrote:
"
sfbistimg wrote:
Pure Elemental Damage builds were never meant to be used (except casters).

Maybe that was true for a while (not so much now with the weapons you mentioned plus Hyaon's Fury), but they're here to stay and it would be beneficial to encourage their use. More diversity means deeper gameplay and more builds to explore, which translates into more time that players spend in the game.

I agree with you, I just think GGG decided long ago that Pure Elemental Builds would be casters. My favorite toon I ever did was my zero physical damage Split Arrow Witch using a 6-link Storm Cloud. Was also my highest leveled character at 85 before dying. I also would love if more skill gems wouldn't use physical damage to scale with like Spectral Throw.
"
sanleon wrote:
It died with LA and cleave. Rip

There are a few Cleave builds out there, although their power is limited. LA fell hard out of favor next to all the crazy bows and crit physical builds that emerged with Forsaken Masters. Cleave is weak (largely due to aura nerfs and the prevalence of crit builds), LA is downright dead.

"
sfbistimg wrote:
I also would love if more skill gems wouldn't use physical damage to scale with like Spectral Throw.

Me too.
Last edited by Tempada on Oct 21, 2014, 12:21:40 PM
Or learn making builds. Elemental bow builds (Scaling with aura's) are just fine now. Ive tried, and ran as much dmg as my buddy with which i was doing t-shot with who was doing phys. Obviously, lategame (when he can pick up a 400pdps bow and i can only go for max aps, crit chance) this changes, but i think thats fine, since elemental scaling is not restricted to gear as much as gem level, which should also mean the cap is lower, since the floor is higher.

Same works for attack-based builds. Elemental molten strike or something similar works just fine (without BM, without EB). The balance is fine. Leech however is another thing, but for that you also are way way less vunerable to reflect, which is a tradeoff i think is fine, because a phys build, no matter how much leech, can still oneshot himself to reflect.
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
Last edited by leary93 on Oct 21, 2014, 1:19:27 PM
"
leary93 wrote:
Or learn making builds.

I'm giving you a Captain Janeway "please" look right now.

"
Elemental bow builds (Scaling with aura's) are just fine now. Ive tried, and ran as much dmg as my buddy with which i was doing t-shot with who was doing phys.
"
Elemental molten strike or something similar works just fine.

I have a feeling that both Tornado Shot (an exceptional shotgunner that can actually make good use of crit because it's a bow skill) and Molten Strike are going to get nerfed.

"
Obviously, lategame (when he can pick up a 400pdps bow and i can only go for max aps, crit chance) this changes, but i think thats fine, since elemental scaling is not restricted to gear as much as gem level
"
Leech however is another thing, but for that you also are way way less vunerable to reflect

These are good points, and I don't disagree. It's just a shame that there's not more flexibility with pure elemental attack skills. You can tone down the dps of a physical build to make it more tanky, but it's hard to crank up the dps of elemental attacks.

"
Tempada wrote:
"
leary93 wrote:
Or learn making builds.

I'm giving you a Captain Janeway "please" look right now.

"
Elemental bow builds (Scaling with aura's) are just fine now. Ive tried, and ran as much dmg as my buddy with which i was doing t-shot with who was doing phys.
"
Elemental molten strike or something similar works just fine.

I have a feeling that both Tornado Shot (an exceptional shotgunner that can actually make good use of crit because it's a bow skill) and Molten Strike are going to get nerfed.

"
Obviously, lategame (when he can pick up a 400pdps bow and i can only go for max aps, crit chance) this changes, but i think thats fine, since elemental scaling is not restricted to gear as much as gem level
"
Leech however is another thing, but for that you also are way way less vunerable to reflect

These are good points, and I don't disagree. It's just a shame that there's not more flexibility with pure elemental attack skills. You can tone down the dps of a physical build to make it more tanky, but it's hard to crank up the dps of elemental attacks.

Sorry for the first comment, its how I like to start of on whine threads, as I so may call it, not trying to be rude, all due my respect. Anyways, I agree that sometimes it can be REALLY frustrating that you cant build a uberkilling elemental based build, but look at it the other way. What if they made elemental as easily scaleable as phys. I think, what'd happen is that elemental will dominate like, the first month of the league, because its so cheap. Thats for example why flameblast got slightly nerfed (too cheap for its power) and same for ST, RF, arc, etc etc. The reason SRS isnt yet nerfed is because currently, srs isnt as powerful early in the league yet, unless the 1h + shield style ghazzy is working on now works. If thats true, its prob gonna get nerfed.

GGG has the idea of balancing power with price to make a build (by making it more limited or not). One may agree or not, but as long as we are playing PoE, we should try to argue around this idea.

Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
"
currently elemental builds are not easy to scale. few %wed affixes on gear and 4 randommply placed clusters add up to ~200% inc wed?

im slightly disagree.

For ele builds, you can scale with: Aura, Auranodes, WED Gem (straight 1.7 multi), WED on gear/passive, Attackspeed and crit. Its not sooo bad, isnt it ?

As seen with Buzzsaw, ele can do pretty well.

For melee i never would use it anyway...just scale it with add fire, hatred, hoa - its still an ~2 multiplier..and going with a pure ele build in melee..i dont know. Just sounds too weird for me..
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info