Help, getting creamed

I'm a fairly generic puncture/tornado shot ranger, level 59 and just getting started on Act 3 on Merciless. I get splatted pretty regularly. My gear is probably pretty sucky, but all I ever see in trade is either not really any better than what I've got, or much too high level for me. Here's my gear.
Spoiler

Here's my build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4DHgW1BiMILgiJCpsWvxmOH0EhdiP2JpUqCzBxMHwx-jKUNj051DpCRwZKfUt4TZJRR1VLVvpbr11oYeJirGegbIxtbG_ycFJ313jrfXV_An8rhs6Hdow2jX2Nv5UFmvGbjZ2qoJ-m4Kc0tMW1SMEzwuzKqdN-1CPWitnG2-fdDd2o5wro1u2D73rz6vb8_MX-ug==
(Sorry, is there a better way to put the link to the build in here?)

I don't run all those gems. I use Herald of Ash and Herald of Ice with Reduced Mana.
Anyhow, is there anything I should try on my passive tree, or any gear to look for? Getting kind of frustrated with all the deaths.

I should probably mention that this is my highest level character, and I don't have much in the way of currency, maybe 60 chaos if I sold pretty much all my other orbs.
Last edited by John_Yaya on Oct 15, 2014, 9:30:42 PM
Ditch Herald of Ice. Use Hatred or Grace for second aura.
Use Projectile Physical Damage gem with puncture.
Get life + resistances on your gear.
Put Lesser Multiple Projectiles on Tornado Shot. I highly recommend Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark for other 2 slots.
<3 Free Tibet <3
Your tree is ok, but you will need more life soon. So your problem is your gear which is low for merciless.
You need 4L gear everywhere, with life and resist. And you need a better bow. 60c is more than enough to get decent stuff.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Oct 16, 2014, 2:53:12 AM
Your gear really needs an upgrade.

All three resists (cold, fire, lightning) should be at or near 75% as soon as possible (ASAP) plus and all gear that you buy should be 4 linked

Helm - Goldrim is OK for lower levels but you should replace it as soon as possible with either a rare with tri-resists and life or a Rat's Nest for offense.

Armor - This is really bad armor and needs to be replaced ASAP. A rare with three resists plus life, then as high as evasion you can get.

Boots - Replace ASAP. A rare with movement speed + tri-resist + life.

Quiver - Needs offense and defense. Damage + physical damage ( any and as much of + elemental damage, + critical hit chance, + crit hit damage) + resists (whatever you need that isn't on other gear) + life

Bow - The Death's Harp is a great bow until you hit Level 60+ when its DPS is not keeping up with other choices. I suggest you replace your bow with a Chin Sol when you reach level 62.

Jewelry - Rares with the three resists + HP + life or mana steal + damage

I have a bunch of items in my stash that would be upgrades for you. My in game name is Kick_Axe or Drop_Kick on Rampage.

Thanks for all the replies. I upgraded my quiver for some resists, we'll see how it goes.
As earlier poster said, you should cap your resists for merciless act 3. I would also spec out of the 2% mana leech and pick up revelry instead, like this:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAF4DHgW1BiMILgiJCpsWvxmOH0EhdiP2JpUqCzBxMHwx-jKUNj051DpCSn1LeE2SUUdVS1b6W69daGHiYqxnoGyMbWxv8nBSd9d46311fwJ_K4bOh3aMNo19jb-VBZrxm42dqqCfpuC0xbVIwTPC7Mqp037UI9aK2cbdDd2o5wro1u2D73rz6vzF_rrN6hjb5LFD5znd

U can spec out of revelry when you find mana leech on gear and you have higher dps.

Buy Infractem until you can afford a 200+ pdps, 8+ crit bow. It has 100% pierce, so you save a link slot. It costs maybe 1 chaos and then a few jew and fuse to link it. Then you can link Tornado shot - GMP(or LMP until you get it) - Crit Multiplier - Physical Projectile.

I recommend linking Puncture - Phys projectile - crit dmg - crit chance.

Btw, Herald of Ice is amazing with higher crit on your bow, so aim for it at higher levels, but for now, Hatred and Herald of Ash is superior.
I would buy Lioneyes Glare you can get it for 1c and if lucky even with good rolls(req 66 lvl but you will get it before you know it).Then you can swap grace with hatred if you want more dmg unless you want to facetank some melee :D(you wont evade reflect dmg so you need to watch out for it though).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info