Beating Oba's Cursed Trove!

"
johnKeys wrote:
"
consca wrote:

johnKeys hates one-shots, whether or not it can be reliably dodged/circumvented lol.

more accurately put, I hate "challenges" which "challenge" your trading-grade uber-gear or RMT-grade wallet, more than actually challenging your ability to play the game.

Coward's Trial for example, is "get rid of corpses or you may be screwed", plus some other stuff like manual dodging and positioning.

what's Oba? oh that's right:

"Faster than a speeding bullet? More powerful than a locomotive? Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?
because if you're not well guess what? 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1........ BOOM U DEAD BITCH!"

no john .. you are just a troll .. everyone who has been here for more then 2 months knows this
"
johnKeys wrote:
comparing D2's well-tiered gear system which actually progresses with the content you do, and PoE's "drop white one-socket iron hats from 76 map bosses, then exalts from act1 barrels" + "what you see on the ground is 99.9999999999% trash so you better just vendor some of it unid for 2 Chaos, and take the other 0.0000000001 to the flipper market" RNG shitfest - is almost blasphemy.

same RNG shitfest, which makes "gaining wealth" the primary goal for most players in this game.
"gaining wealth" so they can fucking BUY the upgrades they need, because they know they would NEVER get them otherwise.
Sorry but this is all so bullshit.
Just ran this map as well and got to say it was a blast.

Sure it is a gimmick map, but then again all unique maps are. Never have I had so much adrenaline-pumping fun from running a map though.

Strongboxes!

Because I got questions on what I was using:
Current Gear:

Last edited by RedundantLogic on Oct 18, 2014, 3:33:34 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"gaining wealth" so they can fucking BUY the upgrades they need, because they know they would NEVER get them otherwise.

I respectfully disagree. About half my gear upgrades including "end game" gear is self found. My characters are rarely high DPS, but when I get them where I want to, they can survive far better than someone might think given their stats and gear.

For me at least, the strategy is that I build my character around the gear I find. It means taking a lot of nodes to get resists and defenses. It means giving up some life until later on. I think my first Rampage character in maps had ~800 life for quite awhile. There were some one shots and lots of near one shots, but that character continues to thrive and progress.

Is that character ready for a challenge like Oba's Trove? Not Remotely. In fact, I saw a unique torture chamber map drop two nights ago, and was glad it wasn't mine, because I'd be tempted to run it long before my character was ready.

Path of Exile definitely has some challenges. Of course great gear makes them easier. A character built for a specific challenge and played well won't require top gear, though they will likely choose it if given the option.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
John, what if I'd do the upcoming 1week race purely self found and show you how far I have progressed in that style of playing the game? Ill show you it is actually possible to go and kill Atziri selffound, and do 78 maps. Wanna do a bet for honor? Ill stream the whole 1week even if you want me to (for proof)

EDIT: unless its hc, then it might be tricky
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
Last edited by leary93 on Oct 19, 2014, 9:18:16 AM
"
leary93 wrote:
John, what if I'd do the upcoming 1week race purely self found and show you how far I have progressed in that style of playing the game? Ill show you it is actually possible to go and kill Atziri selffound, and do 78 maps. Wanna do a bet for honor? Ill stream the whole 1week even if you want me to (for proof)

Add solo to it. Grouping is easy mode.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
leary93 wrote:

Add solo to it. Grouping is easy mode.

solo self-found. HC or not.
I'd like to see how far you get. would probably subscribe to your stream.
no need to kill Atziri or anything like that, just an ability to still get somewhere when RNG starts kicking you in the balls.

bonus points if not a cheesy Summoner/Tornado-shot/other-flavour-of-the-month build.
extra bonus points, if melee.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
solo self-found. HC or not.
I'd like to see how far you get. would probably subscribe to your stream.
no need to kill Atziri or anything like that, just an ability to still get somewhere when RNG starts kicking you in the balls.

bonus points if not a cheesy Summoner/Tornado-shot/other-flavour-of-the-month build.
extra bonus points, if melee.

Done all of that + famine and no hp rolls on items, only implicit hp rolls (leather belt + 2x coral ring) in nemesis.

Really not a big deal if you know what your doing. You can probably dig up the thread if you want to that listed my progression and items.

Peace,

-Boem-

(how many points do i get? o.O)
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
this thread? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/705613

tons of respect, Boem.

for beating Cruel Dominus alone, which is something I never did as a SSF melee in HC.
have a melee in Act 2 Merciless in HC, that came from Nemesis - as his name implies - but he's not self-found.

my current SSF "project" in HC is a Freezing Pulse Shadow.
currently in Act 3 Cruel.
will probably RIP against Dominus because my trusty toaster would likely fail me when it matters most, and I simply don't have the gear to survive when that happens...
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 19, 2014, 5:06:55 PM
^i did however, have to pass on the famine mod vs cruell dominus. I simply could not gain charges in that fight since his mobs blew up prior to me killing them. But i got that far that i didn't wanna rip just because of my limitations there. So i gave up on famine for that one fight, all the other stuff was done with all the rule-set's mentioned do.

Got that char to act 3 merciless map device, which was the original goal. But it was with the old viper strike, now that they butchered that skill i don't think this can be repeated. It allowed me to endurance play all the content on a very low investment skill.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : try a skele totem and replace freeze pulse with ice spear? keep the totem upfront and range him with ice spear, should probably be reasonably safe. Or cheese it with freezemine prolif since your cold based :p.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Oct 19, 2014, 6:00:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info