Beating Oba's Cursed Trove!

"
johnKeys wrote:
more accurately put, I hate "challenges" which "challenge" your trading-grade uber-gear or RMT-grade wallet, more than actually challenging your ability to play the game.

Coward's Trial for example, is "get rid of corpses or you may be screwed", plus some other stuff like manual dodging and positioning.

what's Oba? oh that's right:

"Faster than a speeding bullet? More powerful than a locomotive? Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?
because if you're not well guess what? 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1........ BOOM U DEAD BITCH!"

Don't think you realise both can be done with a 10 chaos build =)

And you only need to click Flesh Offering once, a level 24 skill to clear corpses.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
Chundadragon wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
more accurately put, I hate "challenges" which "challenge" your trading-grade uber-gear or RMT-grade wallet, more than actually challenging your ability to play the game.

Coward's Trial for example, is "get rid of corpses or you may be screwed", plus some other stuff like manual dodging and positioning.

what's Oba? oh that's right:

"Faster than a speeding bullet? More powerful than a locomotive? Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?
because if you're not well guess what? 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1........ BOOM U DEAD BITCH!"

Don't think you realise both can be done with a 10 chaos build =)

And you only need to click Flesh Offering once, a level 24 skill to clear corpses.

how about self-found? they don't have "10 chaos builds", now do they?
and that's assuming you can actually show me a "10 chaos build" that can one-shot monsters in a level 76 area and clear it in no-time. I believe that's the level of the final timed area in Oba.

look, I'm not completely against gear-checks. I'm also - surprisingly - not against occasional use of gear-checks as the only form of difficulty.
it's really common practice in ARPG to be honest.
but you know, ARPG has one thing Path Of Exile doesn't
Spoiler
actual
Spoiler
fucking
Spoiler
progression
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 14, 2014, 2:58:32 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
and that's assuming you can actually show me a "10 chaos build" that can one-shot monsters in a level 76 area and clear it in no-time. I believe that's the level of the final timed area in Oba.

Either you do flameblast with a 4l or tornado shot with a granite pot crafted weapon with a 4l.

Besides your argument is kind of flawed when to get those drops by definition you need a character that is well into clearing maps.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Oct 14, 2014, 3:18:18 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:

look, I'm not completely against gear-checks. I'm also - surprisingly - not against occasional use of gear-checks as the only form of difficulty.
it's really common practice in ARPG to be honest.
but you know, ARPG has one thing Path Of Exile doesn't
1. Being truly self-found also means you actually have to self-find that map first. Think about it.
2. No, you don't need a build/items capable of one-shotting 76lvl mobs to beat it. On the other hand, what would be the point of oba's, poorjoy's, death and taxes or olmec's sanctum if anyone with pitiful resists and dps could do them? They are MEANT to be challenging in their own unique ways. To help you out on that matter: in Oba's, you don't have to kill a demigod boss etc. Instead it's all about thinking fast and being quick.
3. It's rather 9 minutes, not no-time.
4. "I believe" = "I haven't even try this map, but I already know everything about it, and I am the first to make "THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE OF THAT ONE THING" conclusions".
Oba's is pretty easy for a random clear-focussed build. Take a flameblast. A 5link (yes, that can be done self-found), and link it with fire pen, ele prolif, chance to ignite, increased burn dmg. Take any random sceptre (or hell, even dw) and you'll finish the place no-time.

And bout your rest of the concerns. Dude, its and ARPG, we WANT challenges. If none of these stuff existed the game would be far from played as much. gtfo and get better
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
am I exaggerating? not at all.

show me one more ARPG, where a player's character can run around for almost a year with the same - pretty crappy - hammer. and I was doing the highest maps back then with friends so yeah should have found an upgrade right?
that character btw still runs around with the same chest armour since a bit before release, and it's far from being "BiS mirror worthy"
Spoiler

not to mention I only found one 6-linked item playing this game for almost 2 years, and it wasn't from killing fucking Shrine Piety or Palace Dominus (not that I'll ever manage to solo that bastard).
random strongbox in a 66 map, thanks for asking.

in this game, if you don't get lucky you're screwed. so you trade, and you farm not for the sake of finding upgrades for yourself, or - god forbid - actually earning them from beating progressively tougher shit. no, you farm to buy them. grind your brain into a fine powder.
and once you did buy them - good luck finding an upgrade even if it's far, far from the absolute-best item you can have.

this is what makes one-shots and gear-checks in Path Of Exile unbearable, more than anything else: the fact you cannot ever assume the player actually has the required gear or DPS or clear-speed. ever.
unlike in other ARPGs where there's a whole elaborate network in-place, saying you can. an RNG-using network mind you, that's - surprise surprise - risk/reward regardless.
completely opposite to dumbly rolling dice and sending the player to trade in frustration, every. single. fucking. time.

so back to Oba: yes, you do need to get lucky to find this map self-found. just lucky. big fucking surprise here Path Of Exile.
but assuming you actually did and are running it - it's either gear-up or shut up.
most of this damned game is gear-up or shut-up, when you don't really have one actual pure-gameplay-and-skill/knowledge method of gearing-up.

side-note
it may at times sound like I hate this game. I don't. I love it and am hopelessly addicted to it. to so many things GGG did exceptionally right. wouldn't be still here for all this time otherwise.
but this one important thing. this very-much-deliberate system of complete anti-risk/reward actually pisses me off more than the other thing, which is completely unintentional: desync, lag, FPS-drops.
not that GGG have plans to ever "fix" either, because "game is perfect".
sooooo.... pixie wings MTX, anyone?
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 15, 2014, 12:21:12 AM
for the record, gemcutters:
1. 16 %
and some other gems, inc fireball 17/16
2. and 6 %

IGN: Imoenpl, nieuczdziadajakcharchac
my first POEvid "Hybrid Wander and Atziri fight" http://youtu.be/0e-ffI2cOfY
Last edited by m_flower on Oct 15, 2014, 5:05:56 AM
I actually forgot I posted in this thread.

"
johnKeys wrote:
show me one more ARPG, where a player's character can run around for almost a year with the same - pretty crappy - hammer. and I was doing the highest maps back then with friends so yeah should have found an upgrade right?

If we are talking about a single slot being unchanged, my 99 Sorc in D2 ran around with a pretty crappy ring for more than 1 year too :/ Even after countless boss runs. QQmax.
"
consca wrote:

"
johnKeys wrote:

If we are talking about a single slot being unchanged, my 99 Sorc in D2 ran around with a pretty crappy ring for more than 1 year too :/ Even after countless boss runs. QQmax.

a ring isn't as fundamental as a weapon or armour set, man.
and level 99 in D2? yeah. totally comparable to level 60-70ish in Path Of Exile where you are still progressing through content, instead of running Uber Tristram with insane gear, and a bit less insane ring.

plus, my weapon/chest weren't the only things which didn't upgrade from self-found loot over literally a dozen months. among multiple characters.
they were however the most noticeable ones, because I got the other end of the stick - the one-shot gear-checks - showed right up my ...

comparing D2's well-tiered gear system which actually progresses with the content you do, and PoE's "drop white one-socket iron hats from 76 map bosses, then exalts from act1 barrels" + "what you see on the ground is 99.9999999999% trash so you better just vendor some of it unid for 2 Chaos, and take the other 0.0000000001 to the flipper market" RNG shitfest - is almost blasphemy.

same RNG shitfest, which makes "gaining wealth" the primary goal for most players in this game.
"gaining wealth" so they can fucking BUY the upgrades they need, because they know they would NEVER get them otherwise.
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 16, 2014, 12:44:03 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
Spoiler
"
consca wrote:

"
johnKeys wrote:

a ring isn't as fundamental as a weapon or armour set, man.
and level 99 in D2? yeah. totally comparable to level 60-70ish in Path Of Exile where you are still progressing through content, instead of running Uber Tristram with insane gear, and a bit less insane ring.

plus, my weapon/chest weren't the only things which didn't upgrade from self-found loot over literally a dozen months. among multiple characters.
they were however the most noticeable ones, because I got the other end of the stick - the one-shot gear-checks - showed right up my ...

comparing D2's well-tiered gear system which actually progresses with the content you do, and PoE's "drop white one-socket iron hats from 76 map bosses, then exalts from act1 barrels" + "what you see on the ground is 99.9999999999% trash so you better just vendor some of it unid for 2 Chaos, and take the other 0.0000000001 to the flipper market" RNG shitfest - is almost blasphemy.

same RNG shitfest, which makes "gaining wealth" the primary goal for most players in this game.
"gaining wealth" so they can fucking BUY the upgrades they need, because they know they would NEVER get them otherwise.

Yeah, I know, the rest of my gear was good. The ring was by no means "less insane" though, I just never got a drop that would replace it. Sidegrades, yeah, but no real upgrades. My point about L99 in D2 was that even after grinding for so long, I didn't have an upgrade to my mediocre ring. I wasn't comparing the whole gear system in D2 vs PoE, just a somewhat amusing yet frustrating experience I had with replacing that one slot even in a game that supposedly has a more rewarding loot system. In some sense, doesn't that slap the player in the face even more, though?

PoE's kinda borked for players who insist on playing SSF. There's nothing much in it for them except A) get a lucky top tier drop (that the player might not even use), B) "craft" stuff via Chaos spam and get shit on by RNG. FM does make things somewhat more bearable, IMO.

I'm still enjoying PoE despite the RNG shitfest, though. What works for me is that I don't compare my DPS/gear/yadayada to others in forums, so my expectations are lower maybe? johnKeys man you need to lighten up and love the game for what you love about it, as you said, instead of killing yourself with negativity (:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info