Theorycrafting: The Solaire of Astora build

What's up everybody!

I'm quite the Dark Souls fan, as I'm sure many of you also are, so I wanted to have a crack at making some kind of viable build that utilises the somewhat confusing Incandescent Heart chest piece:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Incandescent_Heart

The requirements that I set myself for this build were simply that Solaire must use a 1-handed sword, must use lightning strike (as I believe this would most closely reflect what he might attack like in Wraeclast...) and that he must use the Incandescent Heart chest piece.

Ideally, I'd like him to be kitted up in Armour/ES gear for appearance sake, and also that he'd be a dude, but unfortunately with the tree I planned, it looked most efficient to start as a Scion.

My intentions for the build aren't necessarily to be viable for all levels, but I'd love to be able to play through some lower level maps running around as Solaire.

If absolutely nothing too viable can be planned, then I'll just scrap the idea.

Anyway, here's my planned tree for now:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAdweHE5ykb56DCWBDbj0DljsoDXzqurQMRnFXySympus3gzQKN2Z_xhzckye4yjt8D8Sioyy_wcVWYxXXhq4Wv-aBy70HY4w2XfJwUonTcNXz6ioLtUi5fIwL7LA2PW1spzTAnOOE9vxfatvnRwb_3iT951RRR42_BbXC7LTFd9d_KzB8BiBYdXSgBqIX3AIRl3Cj50TSAyfUUucPBu7cvTGwy_WnKzW5HU8tH5UgwfMRUG0ZS64bJdlb34rpAjbFHwIEB0yzw21ca4RI4vcBb4t6wdWkeN74PeK309fLo4ruDlb6G61I7i1HUEIPqw==

The only things I'd tried to with this build was to make it a crit lightning strike build that utilised CI to mitigate the downside of the chest.
I'm not well versed in melee builds, and yes I have take way too many points, but any guidance, suggestions or complete reconstructions are welcome.

Let's bring Solaire into Wraeclast EFFECTIVELY people!

Praise the Sun!

Two minor things.

Ditch the scion and go witch. Why would you go scion when you already hit the witch starting ES? Those 3 wasted points on measly 3% AS nodes ug. Without getting fancy we can redistribute those 3 and the 4% into the 3 5% shadow nodes and something else.

Next, the Scion ES wheel is not the most efficient. Those 6% nodes could be better allocated. At the very least ditch 3 of them to hit Nullification. Bam, 8% free resists, 2% inc energy shield, evasion for some reason, and recharge if that matters.

Other than that looks like a generic crit build. You will be missing a lot of ES because of your chest piece, but I guess having 25% of elemental damage go poof makes up for that a little. Since you are already speccing into a few block nodes, maybe take a few more. Your shield can give you a LOT of ES and block with these nodes. You are right next to deflection.

Have fun!
Alrighty, here's what I've done as an update.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYA_5OwklHZotmw2Ba_RXwHY8u95oEPq7VIbWxwUioL8-pw1YnTXfIRL-tjmZrjhA5IpzTAnF9q2-dHBvb8uXyMC-ywNj1_KzB8UUeNvwW1wuy0xecPBu7cvTGwy_XUUgIRl3Cj50TSAyfB1aR43vj_3iT951RW-nfX7g494rfT18ujihutSO6MNn_GEZZWYxXXhq4sv8HFpys1uR1PLR-VIMHzoqNtGRFQS64bJdlb34rpAt--hcVCSysNTLM2xR8CBAfDbVxrhEji9wFvi3oGIFh1dKAGohfc_xxLjR6B

The choice of scion was a bit of a mistake tbh, I'd jumped onto scion initially thinking of trying EB/MOM with this build, started building then changed plans halfway through but forgot I could change characters!

I've also decided to go shadow because I'm vain, and found an opportunity to keep Solaire male while still making a more efficient build.

More thoughts, peeps?! :D
"
Derongan wrote:
Ditch the scion and go witch. Why would you go scion when you already hit the witch starting ES? Those 3 wasted points on measly 3% AS nodes ug. Without getting fancy we can redistribute those 3 and the 4% into the 3 5% shadow nodes and something else.

Yeah, and if the attack speed is important, you can get the 3 nodes by shadow start for 1% more ias, and save 1 point.

Also, if you're going 1h melee weapon, aren't you going to need more than 30 str from the tree?
Cast on Crit too much fun.
Last edited by ThisFrickinSite on Oct 13, 2014, 4:03:08 AM
Here's what I came up with.

Its a bit of an overdose on crit which probably isn't wise at all while using a sword, as sword base crit isn't that high. Its also a level 100 build which isn't really realistic, but there's too many nice nodes ;_; Of course you will need to use pcoc gem to take advantage of the 7 power charges.

What I have seen on your attempted tree is that you invested in one or two shield blocks, which probably isn't worth it. Especially as you'll be using a high es shield which typically do not have high block bases.

Don't forget that you'll be using blood rage when you're CI, so with a 20/20 gem that's 10% free leech. With one +1 frenzy charge node you'll be running around with 4 frenzy charges which equates to 20% increased attack speed.
Last edited by mavoop on Oct 13, 2014, 4:58:18 AM
Cheers mate, great idea. I haven't played DS but I've heard of it.

I recently made a Scion, and I'm in the process of going CI - I have a 5-link Inc Heart. So I've
"theory'ed" a bit on it. My ideas -

1) It's obviously a CI piece - (unless you're CI you're not really mitigating the elemental dmg). Since you have low ES because of the chest - Life Leech (which becomes ES leech with Ghost Reaver) becomes a greatly important aspect of survival. That's why it's on there. This means you need to focus on gear + nodes (Blood Drinker) that leech life - and also, use a physical attack.

Lightning Strike is a good choice for *most builds, as you can be stand-offish, and strike the ground and stay back from true "melee." But the problem is - you don't leech life through your lightning (projectile) damage. Only the initial strike; which much of the time, won't hit any enemies. (You can add a life-leech gem, but it won't be enough.)

So I would say - chose a physical attack - and be either melee, or physical ranged. That means - a 1-handed physical weapon + attack - or use a wand. (Bow is just out of the question with this chest, you need a super ES shield.)

2) Most (historic) knights actually carried maces instead of swords. So don't get married to the idea of a sword as being the only weapon possible for this roleplay. :) Heck - you can use a dagger - and put a sword's skin on it, thanks to the last patch. :)

3) Blood Rage - I think should be incorporated. You get it for "free" with CI, taking no chaos dmg. It helps greatly that you leech life (ES) with blood rage, per frenzy charge. Incorporate frenzy charges into your tree - you won't regret it. (DPS goes up too with increased attack speed.)

4) Warlord's Mark - increases Life Leech. Perhaps incorporate that. Be sure to get gloves that have 2% life leech, and a ring(s) also.

5) You can take the attitude of "i'll out-leech the physical damage i'm taking" - or "i'll be immune or block the physical damage I'm taking" - while the chest takes care of the elemental worries.

I don't think it's possible to just rely on leech - you must either use immortal call, or block/evade most attacks. We can't do Acrobatics - so you must choose:

-High block chance + Faster ES Recharge nodes
or
-12+ second Immortal Call

You're not near Iron Reflexes - so put one point in Ondar's. You will become so evasive for projectiles that you can basically ignore them.

That leaves melee physical as the last real threat to you. I've been experimenting with 12+ second immortal call - all it takes is a total of 5 Endurance charges, and all 6 of the Increased Skill Duration nodes. This is the only benefit for rolling a Scion, as you said you originally intended. Scion has easy access to the Duration nodes - and the Templar's End charge. Take the other one from Merciless Bandit quest, or get a corrupted belt with + 1 End Charge. (If not using Auxium.)

You put Faster Casting + Spell Echo linked to Enduring Cry - you get at least 2 charges for every Cry. 12 seconds gives you enough time to use it 3 times before your first Immortal Call wears off. Wait until the count-down reaches 3 seconds - and self-cast Immortal Call again. Lather, rinse repeat - it works well. So long as you're not taking Elemental damage - your ES will recharge to full at least every 6 seconds. There are many situations where my Scion just stands in the middle of 20 or 30 mobs and takes no damage, even after a 40 second fight.

And what if you take Ele dmg during the fight? That's what the (very) high leech rate is for. IF you get pummeled by ele dmg - pop an appropriate pot and you should be fine. In a panic - pop Vaal Discipline.

Taking the Immortal Call route requires a tree that takes you into the Templar/Witch/Scion zone.
It's hard to get enough attack speed and accuracy this route - but you may be able to run Haste if you take the Sovereignty wheel. After all - Aura nodes grant you more ES through Discipline.
(That's why I think if you went the Shadow route - you should definitely take the 14% increased Aura effectiveness node, and route your path on the outside to get it.)

Templars and Witches, however, have great access to AoE nodes - so if you chose Reave as your attack - you could have a monster wave pushing ahead of you - (and leeching you ES.)

Templars also have access to Zealot's Oath - which matters in a big way! Simply taking that 1% life regen node in the templar area really increased the survivability of my CI witch.

Also - Shield ES Nodes, as mentioned before - are a great way to get ES. Above the Templar is a node for a whopping amount of ES from your shield. Near the Scion on the way to Ranger - is another one.

6) Wand Route - Some might argue that Being a Templar or Scion reaver with low ES and melee (reave) is just too dangerous for Beyond. Even with Immortal Call. I think they may be right. The amazing amount of (ele) damage from the Righteous Fire + Flame Surge beyonders is sometimes just crazy. (Vaal Spark rogue exile, anyone?) I just am a bit doubtful that it can be out-leeched.

A friend told me, "hey: consider ranged attacks." There's only 2 ways to do that, with physical - a high-dmg physical wand. Power Siphon, Barrage and Frenzy. (Or spectral throw.)

"You can be a good support character," he said to me. He's right. Hasting, and Culling for the group can be great. Conduit, if you can.

7) The belt, Auxium (if you can get it,) frees up one of your ring slots - so you don't have to wear Dream Fragments. (Freeze will be based on your ES, not your life.) It has the bonus of giving you mana leech per power charge. Great - just what you need to sustain very rapid wand attacks. You will need to have a big mana pool, so you leech is bigger - but this should help greatly. Take the power charge nodes by witch and shadow.

8) Now that you can have 2 rings of you own choosing - consider Romira's Banquet. You win both ways - if you are crit, it turns you into a crit machine. If you are Resolute Technique - it means you always keep maximum power charges - and maximum mana leech via Auxium.
(One might say - well, Power Siphon is going to give you enough Power Charges! The benefit of Romiras is you start criting sooner, because you have charges at the start of every fight - rather than the end.)

Your other ring - Super resists, phys dmg, life leech, and attack speed + ES. (As much of these things as you can get.)

9) Consider the Atziri Cocktail flask - that lets you leech chaos damage while in effect. This is a bit of a god-send for CI builds. Definitely a panic flask that can save you.

10) Consider the Flask Effect Duration nodes - or having that on your belt (if you don't use auxium.)
Druidic Rites is amazing - providing 20% longer flask effect. It really, really matters when your granite flasks last 2 extra seconds. (And Atziri Cocktail.)

11) Consider Heart of Oak. This node may provide you with virtual stun immunity. 80%. Why? You get 50% chance to avoid stun from having any active ES at all - and another 30% on top of that, is 80%. Some have suggested you can take off Eye of Chayula if you have this node + Ondar's, and be "ranged".
My problem with this is if you get really unlucky - eventually a physical hit will land, stun you - and your first time you get stunned becomes your first, last and only time. (Immediate death.)

12) Consider the Anvil. But, if you did take off Eye of Chayula - you could wear the anvil. Get your block chance up into the high 60's. This is extremely tanky - most melee hits swung your way will not land, and, coupled with Ondar's, means that pretty much all phys projectiles not damage you. Add Tempest Shield, and block chance may be up to 70% -ish. (If you make a vow to never hold a shield below 30% block chance.) With Tempest Shield - most archers will eventually kill themselves by hitting your shield.

A high block chance means that you have a very good chance of having your ES regen in-between hits. It gives you decent Spell Block chance, if you wear Rainbowstrides and take the witch 8% spell block node. You move around slowly - but that is what haste is for - and frenzy charges/blood rage.

Crazy? Mabye! But a phys wander with Incandescent Heart just may work! :)

If you go CI you will have to consider status ailments, stun and freeze are based on your life, which will be low.
There are item which grant immunity, but a build that reaches Unwavering stance on its own would not be horrible.

1-hand sword crit requires investment in order to reach a decent chance to hit. Realistically, you might have a lot to gain without crit, if dmg. can be scaled otherwise.
Does it matter if it is ranged or melee light strike? If not, the quality on light strike is pierce, a total of 60%, as such the "Projectile damage and pierce node" might be worth it.
If you go for crit, you will without question need power charges. They are too good to miss.

My, unrealistically many points, version. Could also use shadow start.

"
Czarevna wrote:
Words

Holy crap dude, thanks for all the ideas! It's going to take a while to digest but you've given me some nice things to consider. Cheers!
I'm a woman, but, no problem! :D I just loved your Knight idea!

I just went CI last night - and I put on Incandescent Heart. I took Power Siphon as my main attack. (I'm a Scion.)

First impressions - I love it! :)

Beyonders are just not terrifying like they have been - the chaos auras do nothing, the unrighteous fire / flame surge - just doesn't hurt anything like it used to. Granites go a long way in stopping their flicker-striking from destroying me - but it can be a little scary. (I manually cast End Cry constantly to keep a buffer of 4 End Charges up at once, and this helps greatly against physical.)

Roas are of course - still deadly!

-But I was able to get nearly 7k ES at lvl 78. I am amazed I was able to do this.
(It feels overall much easier to be a CI character in this 4 month league, than it felt in the last one.)

-Wanding feels a bit awkward, but mostly, good. (Especially having done Reave for nearly 80 levels!) :D

-I synergize well with my Tornado Shot ranger friend - and I constantly cull, and feed him power charges/end charges, and frenzy charges with blood rage.
Once charged up - we begin to feel like an unstoppable duo - and we have great clear speed.

-When I get a few more points - I'm going to spec out of the Elder Power wheel, and take the big Fusillade wheel instead. The increased attack speed/accuracy; and crit - will make a big difference.

This is my tree - but it's very, very preliminary.
(I am still trying to figure out the best way to get more ES from my (massive) ES shield.)

Tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAx4DlgW1BiMM8g18EQ8RLxFQFLAV1xa_GyUc3B1PHaoegR9BH8cnqSoLLL8tHy2LMHw1uTsoRnFHBklRSshLjUuuTC1Ms1AwUUdWY1eHW_Rca18qX2pgQ2NDbRltbG49bqpwUnRVfll_K3_GgK6CHoLkgwmESIauiEKKr42_j_qQEZMnmZqiBKXLpyusmLQMtMW1SL68wcXC7MNt0NDWitlb217b59-K4YjpAuq662PsGPDV8uHz6vb899f67_xk_xw=

Gear
Spoiler

Pots
Spoiler

I got great tips for CI from 2 friend who have used the Inc Heart chest:

1) If you're a crit build, get all "Surgeon's" flasks - and you can have almost constant "up" time for flasks. (It's the refill charges on crit roll.)

2) Manually cast End Cry + Spell Echo - keep the End Charges up all the time. (You can put Immortal Call on CWDT, but don't put a 2nd End Cry on it. Just get used to providing your own End Charges.)

It is *so* hard to get any sort of physical mitigation with pure ES gear - and that's mostly what you're restricted to with this chest. End charges are especially important.

3) My friends say that spending the points, to go down to Unwavering - is worth it. Just so you can wear a necklace with +40 or so flat ES, 45 or so Intelligence, and +20% or so ES %. I was told this alone can provide you with almost 1k ES. I haven't tried this yet.

When I count the beans - I think spending 14 points or whatever you need to to get Unwavering, in pure ES % nodes - would actually get you a little more than 1k from the tree. The only thing that still tempts me to chuck Eye of Chayula - is the fact that some GG necklaces have 5% life leech on them. Wow! :D

4) Get Vaal Discipline - as an OH SHIT button.

Strengths of an Incandescent Wander

Spoiler
-The 25% reduced Elemental Damage can really be felt - improved survivability.
-Immunity to Chaos is absolutely wonderful.
-Beyonders mainly attack via chaos/ele dmg, so they aren't nearly as scary.
-You can laugh at Chaos Auras, Zombie, Bug and Bomb-Thrower chaos clouds, Viper Strike, Enemies Poison On-Hit maps, and Desecrated Ground.
-Rogue Exiles specializing in Chaos are trivial.
-It becomes very easy to stack charges and feed them to your group.
-Blood Rage and Warlord's Mark provide a huge amount of leech. I can stand in the fire of exploded Rare Lion Dogs - and watch my ES go back up - as long as I'm attacking, and leeching.
-Ranged attack provides a sort of survivability that suits Hardcore servers.
-Culling Strike improves clearspeed greatly - and improves safety during hard fights.
-Ondar's provides near immunity to bow attacks.
-Ondar's provides near immunity to reflect damage - you usually evade it.
-

Weaknesses and Challenges

Spoiler
-As Scion - it's been a bit difficult to attain fast attack speed, and decent accuracy - which is so important to a crit build.
-Pure ES shields provide the needed 400+ ES on a shield for the build to work - but they only have 30% block.
-Low inherent block, combined with low inherent armor - makes for squishiness up-close and personal. Charging, and flicker-strike enemies can make your heart jump into your throat with fright.
-Pots need to be used *before* major damage occurs - and some people never adjust to this playstyle change after doing life builds. High-lvl content never gives you any reaction time - so this adjustment is ultimately a benefit - if you can get the hang of it.
-Inc Heart has no inherent Ele resists - it's difficult to get your resists up.
-Mana - can be a bit of a problem. I have no problem, once I have Power Charges, because of Auxium - but before I get them, I can run out fast. Both Life Leech and Mana Leech are prefixes on gloves - it can be hard to get them without sacrificing ES. You must balance leech types on your rings and gloves.
-Auras are a bit of a challenge - as it's hard to afford points into Aura nodes. Discipline is Mandatory - but I was crushed with disappointment to find that lvl 17 Grace - only gave me 1% extra chance to evade attacks. :(
-That is a major problem - relying on pure ES gear apart from the chest. You can't easily get armor or evasion levels that make any difference.
-It's hard to run important DMG auras, like Hatred - when you're so squishy to physical. It would perhaps be smarter to run 2x Defensive nodes.
-Spell block is hard to obtain - thanks to the Block problem - but I think the overall reduction provided by the chest is perhaps better than spell block chance: it applies to *all* ele dmg.
-You only leech ES with Ghost Reaver via your PHYSICAL damage. (Unless you put a life leech gem on an elemental attack or spell.)
-I was told that, without Vaal Pact - I could one-shot myself using Vaal Power siphon. I've left it alone.
-Getting enough STR is difficult - to use high-lvl End Cry / Immortal Call / Molten Shell

Spoiler

The Biggest Problem of All:

-Socket colors.
-You need so many Greens to make a Wander work. (Phys attack damage, Faster Attacks, GMP, Chain, Barrage, Frenzy, Blood Rage - all GREEN GREEN GREEN!
-What gear are you wearing? ES gear - Blue Blue Blue! :(
-It can be a bit difficult to have 3 or 4 red sockets - for an effective CWDT setup.

Goals and Experiments

-So far I like using Tempest Shield: that extra 4% block chance is helpful.
-I want to try Herald of Ice, but it's hard with Aura node challenges.
-Barrage + Life Leech + Knockback - is what i want for an emergency close-quarters attack - but so far, I don't have enough Green sockets to set this up.
-I plan to craft mana/life leech on my gear.
-I plan to take Shield Defense nodes to beef up my ES.
-I plan to take the 45% ES regen node, even if it means dropping a little flat ES.
-I'd like to get another frenzy charge, by the ranger, and get my shield block up sometime.
-I'll need to get some crit multi.
-My attack speed feels a bit sluggish. (Likely fixed when I switch to big Wand Wheel)

I'll let you know how the build evolves! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info