After 1.2 insane FPS drops. Rain related? Game unplayable (Contains a lot of debug data for you)

After 1.2 got released I have started to experience sudden drops in FPS from steady 60 to 1-3 FPS. Always on those maps there is rain but also elsewhere. I even reinstalled my whole computer and all drivers but nothing helps. Before 1.2 I never had a single problem with framerate.

I'm trying to go to brickmode graphics setting via ini but I'd like to play the game it is supposed to. I just cannot play a game I die every ten minutes due lag.

Usually everything goes smooth, then suddenly drop to 1-3fps for 5-10minutes and then all of the sudden BOOM, 60fps again.
Last edited by Demoshane on Oct 12, 2014, 4:12:08 PM
Update: Tested with "blob" graphics mode. Everything to bare minumum possible. Same lag spikes (FPS lag). No effect whatsoever :S

Some other things I noticed:
Ice nova shrine causes this every time as well as firestorm shrine. It also looks like the client might have a memory leak.
Last edited by Demoshane on Oct 12, 2014, 3:42:24 PM
MTR report:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| tkueur1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 83 | 83 | 11 | 15 | 79 | 17 |
| ge1-0-0.tkubra-p1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 83 | 83 | 10 | 12 | 53 | 10 |
| ae13.esptnl-p1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 83 | 83 | 13 | 17 | 49 | 13 |
| ae1.helpa-gw1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 83 | 83 | 12 | 13 | 40 | 13 |
| ae1-10.bbr1.hel2.fi.eunetip.net - 0 | 83 | 83 | 12 | 20 | 108 | 13 |
| 213.192.184.201 - 0 | 83 | 83 | 18 | 20 | 44 | 21 |
| netnod-ix-ge-a-sth-1500.softlayer.com - 0 | 83 | 83 | 37 | 39 | 70 | 38 |
| ae6.dar02.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 0 | 83 | 83 | 38 | 39 | 61 | 38 |
| po2.fcr01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 0 | 83 | 83 | 38 | 43 | 180 | 39 |
|37.58.67.210-static.reverse.softlayer.com - 0 | 83 | 83 | 38 | 38 | 58 | 38 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Seems all good.

Then, it hits: Symptoms: CPU Usage is around 4-5%, FPS stays steadily at 3-4FPS. At some point it start jumping back and forth between 4 and 100fps in 1 sec intervals (The game is just laggy). Also latency jumps from 50 to 350 and frame time goes to around 350 too (occasinally up to 3k). This goes on for 5-10mins and it returns back to smooth. Here is MTR records from that time:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| tkueur1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 300 | 300 | 11 | 17 | 88 | 11 |
| ge1-0-0.tkubra-p1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 301 | 301 | 10 | 13 | 89 | 10 |
| ae13.esptnl-p1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 301 | 301 | 13 | 17 | 104 | 13 |
| ae1.helpa-gw1.fi.elisa.net - 0 | 300 | 300 | 12 | 15 | 56 | 14 |
| ae1-10.bbr1.hel2.fi.eunetip.net - 0 | 301 | 301 | 12 | 21 | 156 | 12 |
| 213.192.184.201 - 0 | 301 | 301 | 19 | 22 | 104 | 19 |
| netnod-ix-ge-a-sth-1500.softlayer.com - 0 | 300 | 300 | 37 | 40 | 91 | 38 |
| ae6.dar01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 0 | 300 | 300 | 38 | 40 | 80 | 38 |
| po1.fcr01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 19 | 174 | 141 | 0 | 44 | 137 | 38 |
|37.58.74.238-static.reverse.softlayer.com - 0 | 301 | 301 | 43 | 45 | 71 | 43 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

(In the beginning when the lag hits, one of those hosts were "Cannot connect")

Here is Link to chronological screenshots. Starting from lag spike beginning, ending in good situation.

http://imgur.com/a/Vf9ZU

I'm located in Finland. I have no issues with other games and this began after 1.2 (or 1.2.1 I think). I just did a clean reinstall of my computer today. All drivers clean and up to date.
Last edited by Demoshane on Oct 12, 2014, 4:11:28 PM
This doesn't happen to just you, it happens to everyone, and there's been tons of forum/Reddit threads about it where pretty much everyone confirms these issues.

Shortly after the FM release Chris said on Reddit they'd identified a bug pertaining to FPS.

Considering the amount of time that has passed with no further reference to performance issues, and the fact they don't have a person on their team who is capable of optimizing the graphics engine, I wouldn't expect anything to get fixed at this point.
"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
I wouldn't expect anything to get fixed at this point.

Yup, this is sadly the price of F2P games
Hi Demoshane,

The WinMTR report is all good so it's probably not the connection.

Do you happen to have a AMD Radeon card at all? There's been a few recent reports where it was found that disabling or substituting the sound device for the game fixed a conflict that seemed to produce the poor FPS.

To do this for the game you can use a --nosound or --softwareaudio launch parameter as demonstrated in this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/321900

"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
This doesn't happen to just you, it happens to everyone
Not going to deny there's an issue, but it's certainly not everyone.
"
Michael_GGG wrote:
Hi Demoshane,

The WinMTR report is all good so it's probably not the connection.

Do you happen to have a AMD Radeon card at all? There's been a few recent reports where it was found that disabling or substituting the sound device for the game fixed a conflict that seemed to produce the poor FPS.

To do this for the game you can use a --nosound or --softwareaudio launch parameter as demonstrated in this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/321900

"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
This doesn't happen to just you, it happens to everyone
Not going to deny there's an issue, but it's certainly not everyone.

Greetings Michael. No, I don't have an ATI card. I actually managed to fix the issue for now by either of these two: 1. Changing from EU to Australia gateway or 2. Turning of 2 GPU mode and using single GPU (Got a dual GPU card).

Not sure which of those two fixed this but was able to play without any lag spikes yesterday. The switches you mentioned I tried earlier to no luck. Hope this helps to debug the issue.
"
Demoshane wrote:

Greetings Michael. No, I don't have an ATI card. I actually managed to fix the issue for now by either of these two: 1. Changing from EU to Australia gateway or 2. Turning of 2 GPU mode and using single GPU (Got a dual GPU card).

Ah, thanks very much for the clarification, that's good to know. Happy to hear the performance has improved for you after the change.
Unfortunately in my case nothing helped.
Changing the server or using --softwareaudio did not made any difference.
Using --nosound I managed to drop down to ~8-10 FPS, which compared to 1-2FPS is a bit better, but far away from what it should be.
My video controller is Nvidia GeForce GTS 450, if this can help. I can supply more debug information, if it is required.
I need to mention that I am running the client under linux distribution using wine and pre-loaded libeatmydata.so.
I haven't had any issues related to the performance of the game since the latest patches.
Please, fix the problem, otherwise the game is next to unplayable and I think some members could just abandon it.
Thank you for the attention, and let me know what additional information could be helpful.
"
Unfortunately in my case nothing helped.
Changing the server or using --softwareaudio did not made any difference.
Using --nosound I managed to drop down to ~8-10 FPS, which compared to 1-2FPS is a bit better, but far away from what it should be.
My video controller is Nvidia GeForce GTS 450, if this can help. I can supply more debug information, if it is required.
I need to mention that I am running the client under linux distribution using wine and pre-loaded libeatmydata.so.
I haven't had any issues related to the performance of the game since the latest patches.
Please, fix the problem, otherwise the game is next to unplayable and I think some members could just abandon it.
Thank you for the attention, and let me know what additional information could be helpful.

you should 100% make your own thread mate, and posting you full specs, also about that last part yes, rain is a huge problem for TONS of players, one of my friend has a 50% chance to dc on rain maps, use to be worst use to be 100%, hope they find a way to remove rain oneday because clearly its a huge problematic for A LOT of players, also because....what type of odd game doesn't have "remove weather effects" xD.
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info