Remove Magnus Stonethorn

Yeah the invisible offscreen flameblast thing is horseshit.

How has ggg not fixed this yet? I got taken down to 10% from it on a 67 map, lucky it wasn't a crit.

Cracks me up when all these people who probably play non hardcore leagues think it's fine. He's not fine.
"
Zaanus wrote:

How has ggg not fixed this yet? I got taken down to 10% from it on a 67 map, lucky it wasn't a crit.

Cracks me up when all these people who probably play non hardcore leagues think it's fine. He's not fine.

He was never fine in the first place, your own flameblast desyncs like mad all the time let alone a mobs flameblast.

His flameblast is completely unpredictable due to the shitty netcoding, why he also has to have the ability to one shot you is beyond me.
"
allbusiness wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:

He was never fine in the first place, your own flameblast desyncs like mad all the time let alone a mobs flameblast.

His flameblast is completely unpredictable due to the shitty netcoding, why he also has to have the ability to one shot you is beyond me.

He has the ability to one shot, because the skill takes a long time to reach that lvl. You have to stand in the area for what, 3+ seconds for it to be charged?
For whatever it's worth I'll join the chorus saying at least something needs to change in regards to this guy (and many others) to better take into account the simple reality of PoE's netcode and the resulting desync.

Something that could work is a new class of desync-prone skills that have specific resync code, similar to stun as a desync-prone mechanic that also triggers resyncs.

From the top of my head I see two cases, we've got big telegraphed skills that lock their caster in place for at least some amount of time and deal huge damage. Things like Flameblast, Vaal Slam, Touch of God etc. These should trigger a local resync the caster (who isn't moving anyway so wouldn't be out-of-sync due to the transit time of the resync) and always target the ground (graphic appears at server coordinates, not at whatever coordinates the target may have client-side).

Second there'd be movement skills. Most of these already have a recovery period at the end, those that lack such should have it added (reality > idealized situation). A local resync on the caster should be forced during this recovery period. On top of that these skills should also always target the ground and never a specific actor. One possibility that might work is to trigger a resync on the target when cast if and only if that target isn't a player, could be experimented with but the delay between the resync being send and it being received might mess this one up.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

He has the ability to one shot, because the skill takes a long time to reach that lvl. You have to stand in the area for what, 3+ seconds for it to be charged?

Under 3 seconds for him to do a full charge flameblast IIRC, with a 3 second timer on /oos. That still places it well into the realm of you never seeing the circle before a fullly charged invisible death occurs. If your not using /oos exactly every 3 seconds then of course the mileage varies based on how out of sync you get but it still allows a flameblast from him to never be seen at all and him getting stuck on objects of course makes it all worse.
Nice 'balls' going around with -4% lightning res. You sure you weren't shocked?
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:

I hope you know that him having -4% resist in this case would be a null point.. because at that point most anything would frag him in a single hit if it scored the crit needed to apply a shock, and that the damage done impacts how long it lasts instead of how likely it is to apply a shock (single 50% effect now with 1.2)

edit - and if you think about it, when attacks can hit for 500+ with 90% resists on a NON crit then just imagine what it will do with you taking almost 11 times the base damage with a crit added on top for good measure. Do you honestly believe he would survive even a single hit/crit with that negative resist amount in a map? let alone with enough hp left that he attributes that death to another cause?
Last edited by Jiero on Oct 7, 2014, 6:06:58 AM
"
Jiero wrote:
"
morbo wrote:

I hope you know that him having -4% resist in this case would be a null point.. because at that point most anything would frag him in a single hit if it scored the crit needed to apply a shock, and that the damage done impacts how long it lasts instead of how likely it is to apply a shock (single 50% effect now with 1.2)

More reasons to doubt the circumstances of OP's experience. Strolling around with uncapped & negative resists = nono

I got almost oneshot by the flameblast exile with ruby flask on (85%) at 4.4k life in a 78 map (received about 4k damage). But OP with more life & resist, got oneshot in a 59 zone? There must have been other factors.

This guy warrants some rebalancing, but not removal.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"
Jiero wrote:
"
morbo wrote:

More reasons to doubt the circumstances of OP's experience. Strolling around with uncapped & negative resists = nono

I got almost oneshot by the flameblast exile with ruby flask on (85%) at 4.4k life in a 78 map (received about 4k damage). But OP with more life & resist, got oneshot in a 59 zone? There must have been other factors.

This guy warrants some rebalancing, but not removal.

That factor very well could have been that on the OP then magnus scored that 5% crit chance, while on you he didn't.

edit - also impacted by the spell's inherent damage variable. That means a lower level version of magnus that rolled the max damage and scored a crit could easily vastly out damage a higher level one that got the lowest end of the damage variance and did not crit.
Last edited by Jiero on Oct 7, 2014, 6:15:29 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
allbusiness wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:

You still haven't even addressed the fact that Magnus can one shot you with an invisible flameblast.

And it takes about 3 seconds under normal circumstances, in maps with faster casting he casts it way faster, which causes the Flameblast to desync even harder. Good job not even addressing the major point. I knew you were a PoE defender to the max, but this is something even you cannot defend. Vaal and Dominus one shot you because they are mobs that are in areas where they are sealed off from everything else, and do not desync like mad. They very, very, very, very rarely desync. In both cases, the vast majority of deaths are due to the player.

Considering how hard you desync on your own Flameblast, it's not even close. Magnus is a completely unfair mob considering he can one shot you from the corner of the screen (especially if you are approaching from above, vertically it's hard to see if you're going down) already. Fine; just play extra safe right? Spam ranged skills from afar (leaving melee at a severe disadvantage), play safe, curse every screen you move, etc.

Problem is that occasionally it desyncs to the point where Magnus can actually flameblast you without you even seeing the circle, a bug that is easily reproducable. And good luck if you so happen to be fighting mobs, are melee, and don't have a quartz flask on top of a quicksilver. Magnus is a completely unfair exile considering how bad the desync is in this game, and is just put in to troll players because of how players were basically 'abusing' Flameblast/Searing Bond.
Last edited by allbusiness on Oct 7, 2014, 7:16:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info