Farming - The 300 ALT Challenge

Interesting, I didn't know there was a competition like that. I'll give it a try, see what kind of time I can do. Remember though, I didn't say my character is one of the fastest, I said the build. My character is actually quite under geared for something like that. I can't even afford a 6 link, so obviously I don't have all the tricked out gear. Even my bow is just a 330 dps.

Now if a super rich guy were to try that competition with a split arrow Ranger, I bet they could come very close to that time. With a Glyph Mark, you'd be sure to 1 shot the whole screen so it's really just run, shoot once, run shoot once.

Using Queen of the Forest Armor + Grace + Haste + Jade Flasks + Quicksilver Flasks + Vaal Haste, it's seriously fast. Even without all that, sometimes when I pop a flask with haste up I bump into walls. With the full set up, you'd really have to practice.
"
VixTrader wrote:

Yeah, the key to fast clear speeds is kind of obvious but it's amazing how often it's overlooked. It's not damage, it's run speed. With 3 attacks per second, even if I did have to shoot 1 extra time due to lower damage, that's only 0.3 seconds slower per pack. But if you can boost your run speed, that makes a HUGE difference.

I have 66% natural run speed, and 101% when I pop a jade flask which I pretty much do every 6 seconds or so.

I didn't overlook these key aspects :D

however even with several nodes and 30% boots the weight of
my gear slows me to 38% native (i use haste on top and 2 quicksilvers)

running an fp witch, she casts 4 per second so kiting is super fast
when im under quicksilver effect. hit recovery also helps, when your flying around
quicksilvering your butt off you end up smashing into mobs ;)

you've got quite a lot of speed on me, and I deliberately went for a fast witch too.
That gorge clear speed competition got me curious, so I went ahead and did a little test.

Queen of the Forest
Haste + Grace
Jade Flask of Reflexes
Quicksilver Flask of Staunching
Vaal Haste

= 183% movement speed

It would take a little practice, but with surgeon's flasks you can quite easily keep the Jade and Quicksilver up 100% of the time. Vaal Haste lasts 10 seconds so once you get them charged up, you'd be running at insane speeds.

I'm sure with a little optimization a person could get well over 200%, but seriously it's hilarious how fast you run. It's so fast the animation looks all fucked up. That's gotta be just as fast as whirling blades right? Slap on a Glyph mark for 1 shot fun and 1:30 seems quite doable...
Last edited by VixTrader on Oct 6, 2014, 4:20:02 AM
Round 3:

Character: Split Arrow / Puncture Ranger - 43% IIQ / 158% IIR + Flask

Maps ran: 31 (I bricked 2 rolling phys reflect which I don't do)
71 - 8
72 - 17
73 - 6

ALTS - 301

Chromes - 107

Alchemy's - 24

Jewelers - 121

Fusing - 12

Glassblowers - 1

Chisels - 14

Blessed - 4

Scouring - 8

Regals - 1

Regrets - 0

GCP - 0

Vaals - 4

Chaos - 13

Sell-able Items I found along the way:

A nice pair of triple res / life / ms boots
17% quality Fireball gem

ESTIMATED TOTAL: 300 ALTS + 2.7 EX in currency + 1 EX in items - 33 Alc's on maps

So my third 300 ALT run earned me around 4.2 EX

I'm on a killer bad streak of finding new maps, so unfortunately the higher end test will have to wait. I only have 6 x 77's and 2 x 78's, which won't be enough to get 300 ALTS. I'll wait until that pool is a little bigger.

Feel free to do your own 300 ALT run and post results !
Last edited by VixTrader on Oct 10, 2014, 4:29:27 AM
Trying to do one, but damn looks to me now that my clear speed is quite awful compared to yours.
Would probably go faster with my witch, but i'm leveling my ranger so it takes a while...
2h for 10 maps, 50 alts so far.

Are you vendoring augments/transmutes for alts?
"
Trying to do one, but damn looks to me now that my clear speed is quite awful compared to yours.
Would probably go faster with my witch, but i'm leveling my ranger so it takes a while...
2h for 10 maps, 50 alts so far.

Are you vendoring augments/transmutes for alts?

Yeah I usually wait until around 275 or so and then vendor the augs and transmutes for the remaining ALTS and sell em for 1 EX. All the rest I mule it and wait until it hits the right amount to sell for 1 EX. Jewellers and chromes are pretty fast, less than two runs usually but for the rest it takes several 300 alt runs to get enough of the higher orbs to sell for 1 EX. And I use all my chance orbs as I find them on Gavels and Occulusts. I'm addicted to chance orbs ever since I chanced a Crown of Eyes (back when they were worth 80 EX)

Just in case you're curious, here's my gear. It's gotten better lately, but I used to do the same thing quite efficiently on about 1/5th the budget. There's diminishing returns with better gear, so you really don't need this stuff, it just makes it a little faster.

Last edited by VixTrader on Oct 10, 2014, 4:27:55 AM
I'm done!

Ranger CoC (awful version, cheap and not totally levelled) 15 IIQ / 52 IIR, in rampage

Took me around maybe 12h-13h of game time and something like 42 or 43 maps, i think i lost the exact count at the end. Maps mostly between 66-71 blue and a few 72-75 alched.

I got (after using chaos/gcp recipes):
- 304 alts
- 226 jewelers
- 11 fus
- 169 chromes
- a bunch of scraps, and 5 baubles
- 20 alch
- 33 chaos
- 13 chisels
- 2 vaal
- 6 gcp
- 1 blessed
- 3 scour
- 5 regret
- 1 regal

Sold a bunch of trash uniques. Kept sadima, aurseize, a carnage heart but i think even if that was the best ones that's not worth much.
1 whakawairua and 1 mountain ledge unique.
lvl 19 firestorm, qual 19 cold snap (kinda useless quality though), qual 15 rejuv totem
For the items, only stuff i kept are a 6 slot harbringer bow and

Not sure if that kind of things sell, probably not wrong to trash all the rest.

So I count like 3.5 ex of currency and quite far below 1 ex in objects i'd say.

I think i'll try to upgrade my stuff before next one, cause man that took forever to do. I will also run a little higher next time (dps is ok any level, can't go too high because of my ranger hp).

I just wanted to compare results.
- Took me roughly 30% more maps to do it. Kinda makes sense but seems to me that the difference is a bit low
- map level doesn't really seem to matter much (unless you look for tier 1 gear and regals, so 73~75+)
- IIR/IIQ and quality on map seem to have a bit lower impact than i expected
- weirdly enough i get way more chromes and jewelers from 6s, either you miss some or they are not really impacted by IIR/IIQ.

I need more clear speed! At this rate i'll never finish any build before getting bored to death with it. Hopefully it should go better when my gems reach 20 on this ranger and I get a windripper. I'm already kinda fast with quicksilver always up, i think i loose most of my time hitting stuff at the moment.

I'm not sure I shouldn't stop picking up rares, going in town looses time and alts are really not the most of the income there.
Last edited by Squirrel_of_doom on Oct 9, 2014, 7:39:07 PM
Yeah I've come to a few of the same conclusions myself. I think as far as magic find gear goes, item quantity is far more important than item rarity. The vast majority of my account value has come from currency drops, from chancing 2 big ticket items, and crafting harbinger bows. None of that is affected by magic find. I've "found" very few items that ever sell for anything. It seems to me about 99% of uniques, and probably 99.99% of rares are totally worthless. Even when they look good and seem to have all the right mods, they still don't sell.

I think it just gets back to killing speed. The best way to accumulate wealth is just build a character that can kill pretty quickly, and can run most of the map mods. That way you can just alc and go, clear the maps quickly, and get to the next map. I changed a few items and boosted my item rarity to 240% and all it did for me was make my killing speed slower. With item rarity that high, you run out of portals anyway if you sell all the rares, so it's overkill.

43% item quantity and around 100% or so of item rarity seems to be the sweet spot.

Something I've been doing lately which has been pretty fun is to corrupt my maps. Since my character can run any map mods except blood magic and physical reflect, most of the maps I corrupt get killer item quantity, but I can still finish them in a good time.

I have about 10 lvl 77 maps now. Once I get about 20 or so i'll do another 300 alt run and see if higher maps make any difference. My guess is, not at all. I seem to have found just as much in 71 maps as I do in 78's.
You corrupt yellow/blue or white maps?
What's the ratio of 8 map mods vs no corruption effect?

If i alternate between my witch and my ranger, i can probably do all map mods (witch doing reflect, ranger no regen/blood magic).
But I think i'll run out of vaal orbs, i like to spend them on boxes at least armorer ones. Not sure they are easy to buy.
38 Quantity, 164 Rarity

Found a unique every second map on average, a saffels frame and the rest trash.
Found a master about 50-60% of the time, Zana 3 times.

Maps ran: 35
66 - 25
67 - 10

ALTS - 307

Chromes - 145

Alchemy's - 21

Jewelers - 153

Fusing - 13

Glassblowers - 14 (8 from recipe)

Chisels - 31 (10 from recipe)

Scouring - 12

Regals - 2

Regrets - 2

GCP - 2 (1 from recipe)

Vaals - 2

Chaos - 26 (12 from recipe)

Chance - 36

Armour scrap - 72

I don't know the value of the orbs, but the results seem similar to the others posted here.
Map level doesn't seem to matter. All maps were transmuted/augmented.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info