This is an ARPG, not an MMO

If I want oversized weapons, armor, and outlandish characters, I'll play an MMO.

The new sword skins are just too much.
I like them =)

And at least if you don't like them, they aren't cheap.

See GGG is stuck with a free game, that they sell popular cosmetic idea too, and yes, they use some limits, but that's life.
Even if the weapon skins are exaggerated to some degree, what is truly not exaggerated in a game? Where do you suppose all the out-of-thin-air space comes from for your characters to be able to carry an absurd amount of any weapon or armor of any type? Would you dare to say that is more practical?

Are you suggesting every nuance in PoE should be realistic?

Surely they do not call it the 'virtual world' for no reason. Just a pinch of realistic qualities to an otherwise fantastic state is required for all games to succeed, yet any game that exceeds the necessary pinch of realism is certain to fail, and for that reason, the same in reverse can be said about reality.

How many times must it be driven in people's thick skulls that too much of anything is bad, including but not limited to, realistic qualities in the virtual world of gaming, and fantastic qualities in reality?

Inspired by the sheer closed-mindedness of this thread, here's a poetic two-liner:

If you cannot enjoy the imagination in the virtual world of gaming as most of us do,
The all-too-familiar door to reality's boring cyclical cycles is not very far from you.

P.S. If a little exaggeration in games bothers you so much, perhaps you should ask the developers (and get other players to sign a petition) to implement an option that goes, "HIDE/UNHIDE - Players with ridiculous/ugly looking gear" in which you can only see the dots of players on the map, that way, you can only see your awesome self because you're the only one whose awesomeness you'll accept...
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Oct 4, 2014, 11:45:03 PM
"
Even if the weapon skins are exaggerated to some degree, what is truly not exaggerated in a game? Where do you suppose all the out-of-thin-air space comes from for your characters to be able to carry an absurd amount of any weapon or armor of any type? Would you dare to say that is more practical?

Are you suggesting every nuance in PoE should be realistic?

Surely they do not call it the 'virtual world' for no reason. Just a pinch of realistic qualities to an otherwise fantastic state is required for all games to succeed, yet any game that exceeds the necessary pinch of realism is certain to fail, and for that reason, the same in reverse can be said about reality.

How many times must it be driven in people's thick skulls that too much of anything is bad, including but not limited to, realistic qualities in the virtual world of gaming, and fantastic qualities in reality?

Inspired by the sheer closed-mindedness of this thread, here's a poetic two-liner:

If you cannot enjoy the imagination in the virtual world of gaming as most of us do,
The all-too-familiar door to reality's boring cyclical cycles is not very far from you.

P.S. If a little exaggeration in games bothers you so much, perhaps you should ask the developers (and get other players to sign a petition) to implement an option that goes, "HIDE/UNHIDE - Players with ridiculous/ugly looking gear" in which you can only see the dots of players on the map, that way, you can only see your awesome self because you're the only one whose awesomeness you'll accept...

Congratulations on missing the entire point.

I'm not arguing the point on how much realism should be in this game nor what should or should not be real. What I am arguing is that we see this same bullshit from game, to game, to game.

WoW doesn't have one realistic looking character. Yes, only one race is human, but all of them have muscles so large that it is too unrealistic to believe. If something is so fake that it obviously wouldn't work, there's no way to immerse yourself in it.

A big flash of magic like Discharge is believable, because it doesn't cover the entire map and only lasts a short time. But a character with arms larger than another race's entire body just kills it.

So seeing how the Crypt sword is almost as large as the Scion basically makes that microtransaction worthless, and will stick out like a sore thumb to players that don't like it. Party play destroyed by the very thing they don't play WoW for.
"
Natharias wrote:
Congratulations on missing the entire point.

Did I really miss the entire point, or have I struck a chord in you somewhere?

"
Natharias wrote:
I'm not arguing the point on how much realism should be in this game nor what should or should not be real. What I am arguing is that we see this same bullshit from game, to game, to game.

Is that so? Then how do you explain the contradiction between the underlined parts in the above and below quoted (scroll down) that you so knowingly concealed so as to go unnoticed by an untrained eye to see how biased you truly are toward things if they do not conform to your expectations of realism regarding size scalability?

I guess the ever-so-prevalent concept of 'evil vs. good' is bullshit to you too because it's in almost every game, right?

My point is just because certain things are carried through one game to another does not correctly define 'bullshit'; it's called 'inspiration', and different developers in different game companies developing different games have their own way of bending that discovered inspiration the way they always do the way they want.

But before you read the below quoted and underlined from you, let's talk more about this alleged bullshit you speak of from one game to another... You may as well stop playing games because every idea in some way, shape, or form has taken from other ideas, and if not taken from concepts fabricated by someone else's mind, concepts are then inspired by everything we see outside our minds, yet if without eyes to see out of our 5 senses, the other 4 senses (or even just 1) would still inspire our minds to dream of that which we have either seen, tasted, touched, smelled or heard.

Therefore, the only thing that justifies the usage of the word original is our consciousness' ability that allows us to say, "This is mine, and that is yours." The truth is no one is original!

"
Natharias wrote:
WoW doesn't have one realistic looking character. Yes, only one race is human, but all of them have muscles so large that it is too unrealistic to believe. If something is so fake that it obviously wouldn't work, there's no way to immerse yourself in it.

Now that you've confronted your contradiction between the two underlined parts, I have to ask you, "Why you are so fixated on SIZE? If you don't have to wear it/buy it, who cares?" to which you may reply with something like, "No, but I have to see it!" and to which I would reply, "Then be a PoE loner to where you don't have to see anyone except yourself at least 95% of the time."

You want to talk about unreal, bullshit size? Okay, go watch this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmNP8G69vc sometime and compare the imposing galactic monstrosity VY Canis Majoris to our little blue pearl in the void we call Earth, and then you will understand the insignificance of our microbial planet. Bigger than VY Canis Majoris is VX Sagittarii, then UY Scuti, and bigger than even one million billion of those three ridiculous galactic objects is the universe. It is said 1.3 million earths can fit inside the Sun; now imagine how many earths can fit inside UY Scuti. Pshh... And you talk about the ever-so-slightly exaggerated size of PoE's new weapon skin microtransactions.

And with that in mind put aside for now...

Because the new weapon skins are in fact practical virtual-world-wise, perhaps you should re-define your outlook of what's unrealistic vs. what's not. Reality itself says that a persons wielding two of any of the new weapons at a time with ease is complete bullshit, whereas the virtual world in games says nothing is impractical (in this case, weapon size) so long as the size of weapons does not overly exceed a character's height or wideness to the point of complete absurdity.

My point is the new weapon skins do not overly exceed a character's height or wideness so as to justify calling them 'impractical' or 'ridiculous' (as you said in your OP before you changed that word) in that none of the weapons are having 'clipping' issues with PoE's terrain in such way so as to be aesthetically noticeable beyond a reasonable doubt, which would then indicate a flaw in weapon design.

However, if indeed the size of the new weapon skins were truly an issue, I would be one of the first to tell everybody by posting a thread of my own, and I have not, so what's that tell you? It tells you that you're being very closed-minded to weapon design. Play what you like, and don't wear what you don't like; you do not have to play Path of Exile, and you don't have to wear Path of Exile.

You act like there is a requirement thrust upon you to buy these new weapon microtransactions when there is not. On the other hand, more permanent things like the UI (User Interface) players have to actually deal with and see throughout their gameplay all the time in PoE is more worthy of discussion than the ever-so-minor-nuance-of-an-issue you are having with the new weapon microtransactions.

Of course it's fair for you to say that's my opinion of your OP, but it's also equally fair for me to say the so-called ridiculous size of the new weapon microtransactions is your opinion, and so be it.

"
Natharias wrote:
A big flash of magic like Discharge is believable, because it doesn't cover the entire map and only lasts a short time. But a character with arms larger than another race's entire body just kills it.

So seeing how the Crypt sword is almost as large as the Scion basically makes that microtransaction worthless, and will stick out like a sore thumb to players that don't like it. Party play destroyed by the very thing they don't play WoW for.

I get what you are saying, and to some extent I do agree, that is to say, only in that IF the new weapon microtransactions had noticeable eyesore 'cutting' issues with something like the terrain in PoE, then I would agree with you, but there's not, and so my point still stands that the size of the new weapon microtransactions are not ridiculously massive as you say. They are virtually practical.

P.S. If nothing else, can we at least agree that Path of Exile is not the worst offender of weapons that actually are ridiculous in size in many absurd ways? Please, don't go low so as to compare PoE to WoW (Whale of Whalefails). That's my opinion of WoW, and yes that's the reason why I don't play it, a reason not necessarily based upon how WoW visually looks. The whole philosophy and psychology behind WoW is to me repugnant and disappointing.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Oct 5, 2014, 4:27:31 AM
"
Natharias wrote:
If I want oversized weapons, armor, and outlandish characters, I'll play an MMO.

"Action Role-Playing Game", "Massively Multiplayer Online", can you tell me where you find this "oversized weapons, armor and outlandish characters" feature in any of those definitions?
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
Natharias wrote:

they dont work properly anyway

what does it matter

Spoiler

Last edited by Pepock on Oct 5, 2014, 7:49:45 AM
look on the bright side they so xpensive you wont have to see em too much in game.
Git R Dun!
Not an ARPG or MMO. This is a MMOARPG

...................................................₪₪╔═══════════════════════╗₪₪
░▒▓██████▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░▀▄▀ⓡ ⓔ ⓑ ⓔ ⓛ ●๋ ⓔ ⓧ ⓘ ⓛ ⓔ▀▄▀░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓██████▓▒░
...................................................₪₪╚═══════════════════════╝₪₪
Oh look, another one of these threads.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info