feedback wishlist/rantlist

This is my feedback after playing the game since start of ambush season. its a bit of a wish list with some ranting mixed in for your reading pleasure.

1. at least double the character inventory size. Ive always thought the inventory size in this game is ludicrously small, especially considering the extreme focus on loot management as a core part of the game. Diablo 3's character inventory feels like its about 2-2.5x larger than POE's and I found that this led to dramatically less interruption in the action as the tedious need to go back to town and unload the take was less frequent. It makes for better game pacing and less fun killing tediousness to not have to go back to town every few minutes.

2. Have option for the loot pickup key to be a toggle instead of held down. I like the visibility toggle, but I don't like having to hold down to pickup stuff, would rather that also be a toggle, independent of whether the loot toggle visibility toggle is on or not.

3. customizable loot drop filtering. In a game as loot focused as this, its strange it doesn't have such a feature. Features to define the visibility and color of drops, like for example making whites of item level less than 60 not be visible, and making orbs a more vibrant color, would greatly mitigate the distracting screen clutter.

4. the Economy: from my perspective this game does not have a fleshed out trading system. All I see in the game itself are the chat system, and the ability to trade items with other individual players. There is no in-game ability to setup a proper store. What does exist are these 3rd party websites that shoehorn a barely useable store system into the game. That in and of itself does not bother me, what bothers me is how the developers seem to cater to and "balance" gameplay around these 3rd party shoehorned economic systems. I mean it is just bizarre, and makes for a game where people who spend more time playing path of economy on a 3rd party website rather than actually playing the action rpg itself end up with infinitely better items and build possibilities than those who play the game as it (I assume) was intended to be played. What I mean is, there seems to be no way to get good gear thru playing the game normally, it just doesn't happen, for example I have had 1 exalt drop for me in 3 seasons of playing, and the best item I have ever found was worth maybe 2 ex in standard (doubt it would sell as the market seems flooded). Yet looking at the market place I see items that cost like 100 ex or more. In other words unless you participate in the 3rd party economy far more than playing the game, then your build potential and diversity is severely limited by comparison, and making different builds is the core of the game I think. Yet the game design itself seems to punish solo players, and tries to force ya to play in groups and assumes you spend most of your time playing the economy, but I do not find those things fun.

5. Crafting: I think the main reasons that participating in the 3rd party auction house like xyz or whatever else there is seems so necessary is because the in-game crafting system is literally the worst crafting system in any game I have ever played. Frankly I despise the gambling nature of it, saying that however I do like the complexity of the itemization and potentials. I just think if the gambling aspect was replaced with an deterministic system, the game overall would be 100x better. The Masters update at first sounded promising, but having played it, it is really no different, its just another layer of gambling with an extreme cost of entry. I cannot afford 95% of the stuff the masters offer, I mean look at zana's map mod costs. That is insane, there is no way anybody is getting a return on a map mod that costs 6 chaos, let alone 1-2 ex or whatever that last one costs. I'm so disappointed at the absurdity of the master's costs that they are dead to me, I just play pretending they don't exist. Really the crafting system in this game is great in its complexity but completely squandered in potential fun by the means in which it asks players to gamble their time/efforts with 99% return being nothing good. So in the end you get stagnation and loss of interest.

6. Screen chaos: The main reason I play solo mostly is because party play is too chaotic. The screen just turns into a rainbow of nonsense, to the point that I cant even see the monsters or my character, secondly the particle vfx tend to wreck my fps, especially from rapid cast coc builds, and even more baffling is that the game does not have any graphics options to tone down the complexity of the particle systems in order to make it more playable. Its just a combination of careless visual design, and unoptimized vfx, that makes party play == not fun.

7. Mapping: I actually like the mapping system, I like it alot, its the only reason (aside from trying different builds) I keep playing. But what I dont like about the mapping system are how it seems impossible to continue to play at map levels of which you are capable. Like Im stuck at around level 72 maps, and it just never gives me anything higher despite that I can prolly beat higher ones, thus it is stagnating, and stagnating == not fun. It seems like the carto boxes are the mechanic to help support moving up in map tiers, but so far this season I have only encountered a single carto box, and I don't recall it dropping much, yet I see in the patch notes it seems to keep getting nerfed? I mean its so rare right now its like it doesn't exist, so howbout ggg fix the mapping system so that progress is more consistent or howbout even possible.

Now there are a few things I don't like about maps, or rather specific mods that I think should be removed from the game:

* Blood Magic: breaks all builds that use auras on mana, prolly breaks ci builds, gosh this just jacks up pretty much everything that isnt a straight up blood magic build to begin with.
* 50% less life/mana regen: breaks righteous fire builds that's for sure, other than that it mainly just slows down all builds that rely on regen for skills.
* no life/mana regen: This makes all builds that rely on at least mana regen for using skils unplayable. The only build that can do these is maybe a blood magic build which can sustain purely on life on hit and leech.
* reflect physical/elemental : I basically only play indirect damage dealing builds now because of this games retarded reflect system. reflect is not fun, it is has never been fun, it is illogical, it basically makes all direct damage dealing builds not fun for me. Either remove it from the game or make it fair and balanced so that its actually playable.
* twinned (dual bosses): this is a no go for pretty much all bosses that are hard, I mean its just ridiculous. The bosses are not balanced around there being 2 of them at once, heck it seems like they are not even balanced at all. so I never run with this asinine mod.

As for the other mods here are my thoughts:
* fractured: actually I like this mod, what I dont like is that the fractured enemies dont seem to contribute to my xp, and they dont generate charges. It would otherwise be an alternative to increased pack size. but as it is now its just a waste of time and breaks the timed quests (albeit I still think its fun in non-quest maps)

In general seems like there could be more mods added that are more creative/interesting. As as things are now all the current mods are the same in that all they do is make it harder. Like howbout an increased item rarity mod, or mods that constrain the loot table, like only drop weapons, or only drop jewelry (like the different strongbox types). Or howbout crazy stuff like only have rogue exiles in the map instead of monsters, like a map full of rogue exiles. Id prolly get killed a bunch but at least it would be hilarious. Howbout a map mod in which a random master joins you in battle to help ya thru it. There is so much potential.

8. Strongboxes: prolly my favorite game feature atm, and one of the only aspects of the game were putting currency into it actually gives ya some return. Only thing I would like improved is to have them be more common, especially since they are optional content, it would be nice if they were alot more common, like maybe even have a map mod that is like +1 or +2 strongboxes, like the +1 rogue exile mod.

9. Bosses: This game's bosses are rather meh or miss. There are some bosses that are simply equivalent to rares just with more health, and then there are bosses that are just stupid skip or rip. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. In a game that punishes death so severely ggg should prolly work on the balance of the boss mechanics especially against builds they may be hard counters against (like the new merveil vs. summoners). Otherwise people just skip them entirely (in maps). Like the main problems are like the arenas you fight them in, some are just too cramped, no room to kite = death. Additionally the mobs they spawn with can dramatically change their difficulty if its a synergistic combination, this sort of difficulty randomness although adds to variety, it just makes things too risky, so I just tend to just skip the bosses that are too hard for the build I'm playing as the cost of attempting and failing is far greater than the cost of skipping, and the reward for succeeding is 99.9% nothing.

10. Righteous Fire: Ive been playing a righteous fire build recently, and I really don't get why it cant damage totems. Its just this silly illogical limitation that is a pain to deal with. pain == not fun. I mean really, since when does fire not cause damage. Other fire skills cause damage to totems, so howbout some consistency ggg.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
1 - no
2 - do you mean the option in menu of 'hold key to pickup items' cause i never have that sets
3 - game used to but it was just a 'remove white drops' option and meant people missed 6l's etc so was removed. It is something they would like if i remember correctly

5 - determinstic would significantly decrease the time until you can get perfect gear, not really suitable option, this would increase stagnation as you have 'finished' your items far quicker, or else you feel artificially held back. Any system always needs some RNG somewhere, while I agree that there is a lot currently the solution isn't to make the orbs deterministic

10 - burn damage doesn't effect totems, because of how totems are coded. Same reason your totem on burning ground doesn't burn down
Last edited by Real_Wolf on Sep 30, 2014, 6:43:10 PM
"
5 - determinstic would significantly decrease the time until you can get perfect gear, not really suitable option, this would increase stagnation as you have 'finished' your items far quicker

I don't care about perfect gear, I gear about viable build enabling gear. As things are now unless you are incredibly lucky and spend 10 hours a day for many months doing mf runs, then the only way to get viable build enabling gear is to trade a LOT. If I cared about perfect gear, then I would spend all day playing path of wall street on xyz. My main argument is that this game has so much crafting potential yet is gated behind an incredible amount of merciless rng, and then the crafting itself is a very lossy rng game of gambling, of which only the rich seem to be able to do.

For example how many times have I used an exalt to add a mod to a good rare I have? The answer is never because Ive only ever found one. If these orbs were 1000x more common, then maybe the gambling aspect would not be so prohibitive.

Then there is the use of chaos, I very rarely use chaos as it just seems far more effective to just trade rather than use them. Because unless your already rich thru trading then crafting is a consistent loss.

and howabout linked sockets, how many 6 links have I crafted, none. How many 6 links have I found thru drops? NONE. How many 5 links have I crafted..? None, and it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying, I spent hundreds and hundreds of fuses trying to get a 5 link yet it doesn't happen. So why do they gate behind this wall of miserable rng, a core component of the game (linking gems to make builds), its absurd. it is absurd because you can get what you need by trading for far less cost, or if your insanely lucky from a drop. The point is that the risk/reward ratio for crafting is god awful, it seems like it is never worth the risk, and imo it simply is not fun.

I say screw the economy, and make crafting fun and rewarding. As things are now its like it doesn't even exist as a proper game feature as its little more than a currency sink for the rich.
"
As things are now unless you are incredibly lucky and spend 10 hours a day for many months doing mf runs, then the only way to get viable build enabling gear is to trade a LOT.

This is wrong.

I've created tons of viable builds using self found gear, and I don't ever MF, I also don't trade significantly or sometimes even at all.

Saying you can't be successful without trading or mfing is a fallacy that many perpetrate on the forums but it is completely false

There is also the fact that trading will ALWAYS be cheaper than crafting, so trying to say crafting needs to be improved because trading is so much better is just not going to work at all.

As for 5l/6l, i've made 2 5l and i've played a very long time, i've had 2 exalt orbs drop and one was in CB one in OB so once more a long time ago, I do just fine with 4l gear.

I think you are expecting things that you are correct, DO take time to do, but they are not necessary they are optional. Sort of like how in D2 you could finish the game and just make a new character, or you could continue to grind chaos sanctuary/etc even though the difficulty was the same and there was no further content, because you enjoyed playing the character

(btw chaos work really well when you need certain sockets and find them on a good item base, you just alch->chaos spam it until its something semi decent, gotten a fair number of my better items doing this such as my first 5l's high life decent dex dual res)
Last edited by Real_Wolf on Sep 30, 2014, 8:13:53 PM
In regards to #5, are you saying you can't afford the couple alchs to chaos most mods cost?
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
In regards to #5, are you saying you can't afford the couple alchs to chaos most mods cost?

Do you remember the blood/hit power/caster/safety horadric cube recipes in Diablo 2?
yes the crafting options that cost augs and alts are doable for me but whether those cheap mods are even helpful to me is a whole nother thing, the ones that cost more than 2-3 alchemy Im very hesitant on, as alchs seem to have many sinks already and I never have many of them. The ones that cost chaos Im also wary of since I could just trade with chaos for something better. Then you have the rich folk crafting mods, the mods that are asking for more than 1 chaos, the ones asking for regals, blesseds, exalts, divines, and eternals. Not even just one of them but it asked for multiple of them.

Its not like there are recipes for blesseds, exalts, divines, and eternals, while the recipe for regals is gated behind high level maps which are extremely difficult to get to and sustain.

Then you have the cost of entry for masters, mainly being the extreme time sink of doing their quests, plus having to regal a magic item in order to craft more mods unto it, its not like regals grows on trees, I have found like less than 8 in all my play time, and certainly have never been able to do the recipe, as it never gives me higher level maps to play.

It just seems like its all tailored to the rich traders, as I cant afford most of those mods, and cant afford the map mods which are the main ones I want to try.
Last edited by Oblivionbringa on Oct 1, 2014, 1:30:03 PM
"
yes the crafting options that cost augs and alts are doable for me but whether those cheap mods are even helpful to me is a whole nother thing, the ones that cost more than 2-3 alchemy Im very hesitant on, as alchs seem to have many sinks already and I never have many of them. The ones that cost chaos Im also wary of since I could just trade with chaos for something better. Then you have the rich folk crafting mods, the mods that are asking for more than 1 chaos, the ones asking for regals, blesseds, exalts, divines, and eternals. Not even just one of them but it asked for multiple of them.

Its not like there are recipes for blesseds, exalts, divines, and eternals, while the recipe for regals is gated behind high level maps which are extremely difficult to get to and sustain.

Then you have the cost of entry for masters, mainly being the extreme time sink of doing their quests, plus having to regal a magic item in order to craft more mods unto it, its not like regals grows on trees, I have found like less than 8 in all my play time, and certainly have never been able to do the recipe, as it never gives me higher level maps to play.

It just seems like its all tailored to the rich traders, as I cant afford most of those mods, and cant afford the map mods which are the main ones I want to try.

So, it's not that the masters are overpriced on the majority of the mods, which is what you claimed, it's that the higher tier stuff is too expensive? Despite most of it offering some serious advantages.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info