new monster

Well, many of you have already encountered this plummeting ursa or dropbear as some wanna call it (since its inspired by an australian prank on tourists, that also uses the name dropbear). For those who havent yet saw it its a ape-koala hybrid like monster which drops from the trees and does considerable damage.

When i read the patch notes i was happy to see that new mobs are still a thing that GGG considers implementing and was really hyped about that, but when i saw the actual thing, well... i was like really dissapointed. Apart from the fact that it serves no new purpose (or a purpose at all in that matter) - since their surprise appearance attack is already covered by devourers - their actual visual form is that of a cute little ape-bear that has many similarities with cartoon like characters (not a big surprise since its an australian urban legend/prank satirizing the huge number of dangerous animals in the afforementioned continent).

More or less, as i said in another thread, its strangely similar to stitch, from milo and stitch movie from 2002, with the only difference, that ingame this plummeting ursa is brown and not blue,and here is the proof
Spoiler

Well i get the fact (and totally agree with it) that according to GGG's supporter packs, some supporters get the right to implement an item or in that case a unique new monster. But there is a huge differernce between the two, that you are forced too encounter the latter, in which case is an aesthetically, lore-wise, and game-wise (since it doesnt offer something new) totally random/useless monster that by no means fits the game, at least as an enemy, and its by far more fitting to see it as a pet. The next step would be winnie the pooh-like monster as an a4 boss.
Spoiler
I understand that GGG had to please in some way or another, one of their benefactors, but doing that without regarding their game's integrity and homogeneity is totally irresponsible.

The original dark and glooming feel of PoE is fainting with implementations like this, and i for once cant even bear to progress through act 2 and be attacked by a magic pack of stitches.

I'll say it one last time and be done with the whole matter, i really hope that this monster is a joke/troll attempt by GGG, and that a new one is soon to be realeased.

P.S: sorry for the long post

http://strawpoll.me/2687784

Edit : Added strawpoll, just to gather info. Feel free to vote
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
Last edited by Regulator on Oct 1, 2014, 6:25:04 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Nooooooo... GGG! Please do not ever, ever, ever remove the cuddlebears.
I like many kinds of games 😊
Who exactly are you to say it fits lore? Because in my book, the only authority on lore in POE are the writers of it.

You aint one.
+1
"
You're forgiven.

This didn't need another thread. If you want to piss and moan about the monster as a concept rather than its balance, I take all responsibility and blame. It was my decision.

And here is my formal response to your gripes:

Go play D3 if you fear PoE is getting too cartoony. Then come back and zoom in on a shrine. Really look at it.

Then zoom in on my monster. Really look at it. And then see if it's something cartoony. You have been duped by the superficial cuteness of a vicious creature.

It's ironic, really.

In short, it is effectively doing it's job of hunting exiles.

It even uses good tactics, disguise of cuteness followed by a swift dead.(and a not so cute jaw)

Peace,

-Boem-

Hell even that winie the pooh looks pretty solid for wraeclast. (it has similarity's with the cleaving bears imo )
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I don't agree that everything has to necessarily "serve a purpose" explicitly.

Some men just want to watch the world... and be amazed by its mere existence. This is not a second work for me, it is a game I go to have fun.

I like the new "monster". Refreshing. I take it you don't like it. Well, good for me I guess.
I dont get it.

But what i think is more important - i do not care.

Why that is important? Because ggg managed to remove gritty design by green footprints, aureoals, wings and all that glowy crap that we oh so love to see in towns

I swear that some sarn instances look like Shrek movie scene when he got home to see all weirdos from the kingdom hidden on his premises.

Btw. Gameplay wise their bqlance is risky as these seem to attack without delay anx can hit on landing. This + desync + map mods == frustrating wtf moments..
Lol. Cartoony and unfitting for POE? Wings and shiny effects arent unfitting then? Shiny pets arent unfitting? So you want it to be some lame thing that would be totally boring i guess.
"
Wouldn't Wraeclast, so wild and savage, play host to cuddly, cute and utterly carnivorous creatures bent on clawing your face off?

Well, you either get it or you don't. I do, the devs do, virtually every Australian and NZ player gets it, plenty of people around the world seem to have gotten it.

I have no time or pity for those who can't.

You actually seem to have plenty of time writting bitter comments, cause one random player doesnt like your creation. Paying a ton of money doesnt make your creation "right" or "good" it just makes it your creation, let other people have different opinions and dont bash on them, you really seem ignorant and arrogant talking like this.

Devs actually do? Is that what you believe or they? Let others speak about themselves, each person has his subjective point of view regarding matters like that.

"
This didn't need another thread. If you want to piss and moan about the monster as a concept rather than its balance, I take all responsibility and blame. It was my decision.

Yes it did and it got one as it seems, and stating that something is unfit and annoying ( isnt moaning neither pising, people do differ, they are not sheeps.

"
GGG! Please do not ever, ever, ever remove the cuddlebears.

Make them pets only for those who actually like them, and not force the entire player base to encounter it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Lol. Cartoony and unfitting for POE? Wings and shiny effects arent unfitting then? Shiny pets arent unfitting? So you want it to be some lame thing that would be totally boring i guess.

I couldnt agree more on that, and im against all those anime like MTX , but all those MTX are optional, this monster is out there and everybody is FORCED to encounter it. Are devourers or all the sceptre of god monsters lame and boring? No, and this mob doesnt offer anything innovative (thus boring), except a new (annoying and unfit, at least for me) visual form (thus lame).

Last edited by Regulator on Sep 30, 2014, 7:11:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info