Annoying Desync

Hi,

its NOT funny to play for a while, lets say collect 4% of Exp to the next Level, and caused by a desync death to lose 10%. In fact i loose more Exp. as i gain.

OK, i am not the best Player, but also for a bad Player achievements should be possible and not only frustrating experiences. I like the game but I hardly like to play more, or again to give you money.

I think you should really do something about this desync. For example, it would be possible to build in a time machine that resets a 5-10 seconds instead of an afternoon game play within seconds to destroy.

Of course i have used the build in search, it was frustrating to read HOWMANY people have also Problems!

Your Programmers do a very well job! No Bugs, forced closes or something else, only this annoying designfailure, maybe you have take advice from bad Software-Engineers?

Notify me if you have anything done which really reduces this trouble.

And last but not least your "Security Code" is much to long for Users with Dynamic IP. I am sure less characters are also secure!

Until then, i wan't come back to play.

Bye
Same problem here. Cant start a skill, cant open a door, cant walk through a door.....then suddenly I teleport 10m next to me.....ahhhh.........typed /oos has no effect, because after teleport everything is ok again. but its annoying, you could /oos every 30 secs if you want to prevent dying.

That came with Forsaken Masters. Something changed to the game, to the servers or......total amount of active players was rising with that update....so you should afford bigger servers.
"
Tralien wrote:
... so you should afford bigger servers.

desync has nothing to do with how "big" the server is. read the developer manifesto on the client/server synchronization.
But you can handle and deal with desync, if you have more code...
more code -> more load -> need bigger Servers who can deal with it
"
maalbert wrote:
But you can handle and deal with desync, if you have more code...
more code -> more load -> need bigger Servers who can deal with it

Nope, sorry, AGAIN nothing to do with the servers.

There are 2 versions of the game running, your version local to your PC and the server version.
Adding more power or capacity to the server dose nothing but cost money, the main reasons desync happens are still there.

And those reasons are that the server will always differ compared to the client version due to differences in calculations between the 2 and the inherent latency that you can not eliminate.

Also additional latency will make the effect worse but that is almost always the users ISP at fault.

What "other" games do is hide it or compromise in game design.
Other games will trust the client more which leads to hacks, hacks and more hacks some bots and some more bots...example WoW, ESO.

Other games will dumb down mechanics, making sure you always hit the target, increasing the hit box so that a little distance won't effect it to much....example D3 and that still desyncs(yes, yes it dose)

They are not going to compromise on any of those, and if you want to know more...read the manifesto then post anything desync related there
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

There are 2 versions of the game running, your version local to your PC and the server version.
Adding more power or capacity to the server dose nothing but cost money, the main reasons desync happens are still there.

I didnt say to increase the Serverpower only! Improve the Code... Use CRC or use Timestamps in packets as an example in both directions. Pause the game, if the difference too large. Is simple, will slow down the gamespeed BUT reduce the Problem. On the other Hand to check ALL Packets WILL increase the workload on the servers. In Fact the Design decides the size of Servers. And this Client/Server protocol is bad and/or based on an bad design.

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

And those reasons are that the server will always differ compared to the client version due to differences in calculations between the 2 and the inherent latency that you can not eliminate.

I'm not stupid. But the desync is mor then a half second!

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Also additional latency will make the effect worse but that is almost always the users ISP at fault.

I didnt say anything about connectionlatency. (Some algorithm can handle a small amount of lossed packets. But this will eat some of your Serverpower.) Give the User a realtime feedback over his slow or latent connection. E.g. a Red lamp which provide further informations about the problem.

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

They are not going to compromise on any of those, and if you want to know more...read the manifesto then post anything desync related there

I have read, and is nice to read but its a theoretically abstract.

You can write a realtime Server/Client Software, show in your next (car/mechanical engineering)factory. ALL of there Milling-, Grinding-, Turningmachines are realtime controlled over Ethernet with the technical/natural latency. And there are less broken Tools in case of desync in a year as i have desync in a hour in this game.

Attention! Not serious:
You didnt believe me? Come to Germany – Land of Opportunities ;-)

Last edited by maalbert on Oct 7, 2014, 12:39:11 PM
your "realtime" sever/client has NOTHING to do with how PoE calculates the information that it uses in the game simulation.

PoE runs TWO different versions of the game essentially. One of them is on the Client (which is the one YOU see) and the other is on the Server (where the ACTUAL calculations are going on).

If they did what you are suggestion, you would feel like you were playing a video... or to put it a different way, it would be a slide-show game, NOT real-time. You would input a command, then a half second later, the command would finally go to the server and come back and you would see the results. That is a PURE Client/Server model like you are suggestion. It goes like this:

1) You initiate a command/action
2) Client sends the command to the Server (NOTHING happens yet)
3) Server receives the command and executes it, sending the results back to the client
4) NOW you see something happen on your screen.

It makes for a VERY bad feel of a "real-time" game, as it is VERY laggy feeling.

So instead, what GGG does is attempt to "simulate" and project what is going to happen in both the client and server at the same time in an attempt to make it feel more real-time (but the SERVER always wins)

In this scenario, it goes like this:

1) You initiate a command/action
2) Client sends the command to the Server at the same time it starts to move your character on the client screen, or perform the action/attack/etc.
3) Server receives this command, executes it, and updates the server's model/simulation with the new information, while also calculating any "results" (IE: Damage values, Chest contents, etc).
4) Server sends back relevant information, generally only containing RESULTS (except in the case of a resync command)

so while they LOOK similar in how they operate, they actually have a profound difference on the "user feel". The current model makes the user FEEL like their actions are all real-time (which they aren't) and this is also what causes the desync to happen. When the client and server no longer agree on your location or other information, then you are now in "desync".

Sometimes, the server can detect when it is out of sync, and it issues a "Resync" to the client, where the SERVER tells the CLIENT where it should be. This looks like a "Teleport".

Other games have different mechanics (which were explained in the manifesto). Because of their choice of mechanics, some of the effects of desync are minimized.. things like not being able to miss an attack... things like REALLY large hitboxes... things like trusting the CLIENT to tell the SERVER what should happen (opening them up to SEVERE hacking/botting/cheating).

So like it or not, GGG has made a decision on how they want their game to operate... and in this choice, they have introduced more possibilities for desync that cannot be MASKED as easily as other games do. Even games like Diablo3 suffer from desync.. the difference is that you don't normally see it (but I've seen it more so in D3 than in PoE to be honest).

GGG is aware of the problem and they are always attempting to "fix" it... even though there IS NO FIX without compromising the game itself. Desync will always exist. All they can do is attempt to minimize the affect it has on your gameplay... and it isn't as simple as adding more servers, adding more powerful servers, or just modifying the code to make desync magically disappear.

If you want to play a slide-show game, then they can do what you suggest... otherwise, leave the coding up to the people who know about code and know what they're doing. You wouldn't attempt to tell a surgeon how to perform a heart valve replacement surgery would you? Why do you find it acceptable to tell a coder how to write their code? Unless you went to school for it, you should probably keep those types of things to yourself.

As a side topic, I find it unacceptable any time someone who is uneducated on a topic attempts to tell someone else how to DO that topic.. this goes for people telling coders how to code, telling teachers how to teach, .. IE: armchair "professionals". In general, unless you went to school to STUDY the profession, you should probably leave comments to those who have.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info