Moved into University halls, now can't connect.

Hi there

I recently moved into university halls and since setting up the internet I've been unable to connect to the POE servers ('unable to connect to login server')

A few key points:

Nothing has changed on my laptop apart from moving to Halls.
I have tried disabling the firewall and running POE, no change.
I have tried running POE as an admin, no change.

Connecting to the Wifi here was slightly tricky, it requires a my University login and before running properly insisted that I ran a program called 'Bradford Dissolveable Agent' the basic gist of this program is it checks your PC for viruses prior to letting you access the network, has anyone heard of this program? n.b. So far as I can tell the program runs once, sweeps the PC and then does nothing, I have found no trace of the program in my program files, or registry. I don't think it's the cause but could it be?

I think the issue might be that the internet has very restricted ports, just based on what I've read. I had a look at POE's required ports and tested them on a few different port check websites, all came back as closed.

Please help!
With it being a university i would have said you have restricted internet access, most normal web sites would open but many games and x rated sites, and possibly downloads and some streaming sites would be restricted.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Sep 29, 2014, 2:59:06 PM
Bradford Dissolveable Agent should not have left anything on the machine, it checks for latest patches etc and tells the server whether the client computer is up-to-date.

You most likely need to contact your network administrator and ask permission to play this game.

Outgoing TCP ports:
I suggest getting a VPN service, my university refuses to grant access because "those ports are used for P2P, which aren't allowed."

I personally use a free one (SoftEther, open source) but sometimes it can be tough to find a good connection.
Thanks for the advice everyone - I got in touch with the tech support team here and they gave me a very encouraging reply, I won't put all of it here but here is the key part:

"
Could you please tell me what game it is and if there are any servers that you know of associated with it.

We cannot open up ports to the entire internet so will need individual IP addresses or network ranges that the games company uses.

Could someone seriously in the know (preferably GGG) tell me what information to provide them with?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, that won't work as they have a LOT of instance servers and they would need to allow each individually (or by subnet).

It's not just 1 server that you can connect to or allow.
"
cannot open up ports to the entire internet

There are no incoming ports which need to be opened. They are all outgoing TCP, and pose no more a security threat than your average website. The game is free to play, so I don't see why they couldn't just test it out themselves. Tell them the ports I posted before, and the main page http://www.pathofexile.com/ so they can install it themselves.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info