Yeah, the general notion was to do genders from scratch as in new models, art, animation, voice acting, etc. Then again, that was two years back and we haven't heard about it since other than "we'd love to do that at some point". But I wouldn't expect any intermediate/provisional stuff like skin transfers. Not only for the reason salzwer2 stated but also to avoid unnecessary e.g. coding trouble, compatibility problems or just confusion in the future.
"
Alysma wrote:
Not only for the reason salzwer2 stated but also to avoid unnecessary e.g. coding trouble, compatibility problems or just confusion in the future.

I believe that it's a thing that closed beta players (like you and me) understand better: I'm sure you remember the Marauders with robes and Witches with plates being everywhere, so choosing a class meant nothing.

If classes can use the same skills AND same skin AND their starting points only make a tiny difference, then it's impossible for you to distinguish if the dude near you is a Marauder or a Witch.

PS: Salzwer = Salzwer2, just did the previous post with the wrong account :s
Problem: Each model has a story, a voice and bunch of voiced dialogues associated to it.
Solution: Detatch Exiles from their Class.
At character creation, you pick the Exile THEN the Class.
Example:
You pick the floating girl (default Witch), and then pick Shadow.
As a result, you have her looks, her story, her voice, her dialogues, but you are a Shadow, and thus you start at the Shadow area of the passive tree.

Business-oriented Solution: Make it a Class-specific MTX.
Example of MTX:
Shadow Unlock MTX - You can play Shadow with ANY of the Exiles.
Witch Unlock MTX - You can play Witch with ANY of the Exiles.

Example:
By default, if you pick the floating girl (default Witch) you're automatically a Witch.
But if you get the Shadow Unlock MTX & the Marauder Unlock MTX, and pick the floating girl, you get to choose between Witch (default), Shadow (unlocked) and Marauder (unlocked), and start in ONE of those 3 areas.

PS: Picking which class you play with an Exile would be a one-time choice PER character.
The only way to change the class is to make a new character.

So I can make Sandy (witch Exile, shadow class); and then make Bubbleboom (witch Exile, ranger class); and then go make Stoneye (witch Exile, marauder class).
But I can NEVER change their classes after creation.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Oct 3, 2014, 6:24:51 PM
"
Nurvus wrote:
Problem: Each model has a story, a voice and bunch of voiced dialogues associated to it.
Solution: Detatch Exiles from their Class.
At character creation, you pick the Exile THEN the Class.
Example:
You pick the floating girl (default Witch), and then pick Shadow.
As a result, you have her looks, her story, her voice, her dialogues, but you are a Shadow, and thus you start at the Shadow area of the passive tree.

Business-oriented Solution: Make it a Class-specific MTX.
Example of MTX:
Shadow Unlock MTX - You can play Shadow with ANY of the Exiles.
Witch Unlock MTX - You can play Witch with ANY of the Exiles.

Example:
By default, if you pick the floating girl (default Witch) you're automatically a Witch.
But if you get the Shadow Unlock MTX & the Marauder Unlock MTX, and pick the floating girl, you get to choose between Witch (default), Shadow (unlocked) and Marauder (unlocked).

That does pose some problems however, as certainly the shadow has a lot of self referential dialogue (Well...monologue?). While I think that would be the easiest solution, it does have issues.

As for the mtxs...wouldn't it be easier to pick the witch class and then apply (insert exile texture pack here) rather than the other way around? less coding involved.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Nope.

First, the dialogues each Exile has are not really "class-specific".
They may hint, but aren't "locked".

Second, it's an option. Something people would willingly go out of their way to obtain.
If you think Shadow's dialogue doesn't look okay on a Marauder, no one forces you to play him as a Marauder.

Third, I HOPE you didn't read my suggestion wrong.
Because the ONLY thing I'm suggesting to change... is where you start in the passive tree.

The Marauder keeps his Marauder looks, Marauder voice and Marauder dialogues.
If you select Witch as his Class, you simply start in the Witch area of the passive tree.
Nothing else changes. It's still the Marauder Exile.

Practically speaking, when you create a character, you click the Exile, he gets up and stats talking while you type the name.
With my suggested MTX, you click the Exile, he gets up and starts talking while you select the Class and type the name.
Minimum possible coding changes involved.

Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Oct 3, 2014, 6:33:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info