New Rip-Off Scheme (Lost 35 Exalts Today)

Well, it is a ripoff scheme, but it's also straight lying.

So today I was playing path of exile, before going to a family members funeral (might I add), when I see someone posting in trade chat "WT Trade My [Atziri's Acuity] for your 6L The Searing Touch"

I see this and bells go off in my head, this guy must be doing a build change and he must have blown all his money on the gloves, that he now needs to trade them for his new build! Fuckin awesome! So I pm my friend who was looking for a pair, and I told him I have a surprise for him.

I go on poe.xyz and find one with a 45 exalt buyout who was online. I messeged him and saw WtS Searing Touch 6L 40 Ex. I asked if he could do 35, he said ok. I invite him and the guy wanting to trade his gloves to my party. I ask the gloves guy, "hey can u just link the gloves again?" So I knew he wasn't bullshitting me.

I buy the staff, say thanks, and before I can even open trade with the gloves guy he leaves party. I said hmm that's weird, maybe dc? Give him a few moments and invite him back. I am now being ignored by this player..

Right away I'm saying to myself, "what the fuck? What did he gain? He just lied for gags?" Then after thinking about it I realized they could have been the same guy running a con to sell an item they had for awhile.

Now I'm out 35 ex, I have a 6l searing touch sitting in my bank, and I have a sad friend who thought he was getting Atziri's Acuity as a gift from me.

Several times people have asked to buy things for over value, prolly cause they r too lazy to look at poe.xyz, and I go there, but it for normal price and sell for a little profit. No harm no foul, I provided a service.

When I get home I will check the scammers name and post it so you guys are made aware. I put too much trust in the world that people will do what they say.

Standard League
Lokailith - Level 100 Max Block Static Strike Marauder. Ranked #87 In World
Helped 7 Players Grind To 100 PRE Awakening & 3 Players Post Awakening
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Streaming @ twitch.tv/levy42088
Last edited by levy42088 on Sep 28, 2014, 8:03:53 PM
You still got a 6l Searing touch. That is not really that much of a rip off.
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
it is almost never worth it to trade for a trade.

If he wanted a 6l searing, tell him you have 35 exalts and that he can buy the searing on xyz.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI RX 2080
Samsung 980 Pro SSD
32GB GSkill Trident-Z
Live & learn.

Naming and shaming is against forum policies, so don't go there unless you're willing to risk a ban.
Not new. Not even surprising. You got took.

Learn from it.
this is a really really old mmorpg scam you sell something really cheap and demand a special item which you sell on your 2nd account

sry for your loss but hey a 6l ST isnt so bad and you learned something thats always good
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Sep 28, 2014, 8:05:49 PM
Learn from it? How? Don't trade on trade chat? This isn't right, and he is ruining the integrity of the game. And naming and shaming isn't the same as warning other players. Naming and shaming, to me, means don't go here and say "ha ha I just beat him in a duel!! He sucks ass!!!

And in the 2 years playing path of exile I have not seen this done. Especially not one as thought out and deceptive as this. He should be banned by ggg, lets see what they have to say
Standard League
Last edited by levy42088 on Sep 28, 2014, 8:09:26 PM
PoE has a barter based economy.

/lol
EEop>
The only problem with telling him I have 35 exalts and he could go buy it on poe.xyz is that he obviously doesn't know how to use it. Hence why he's looking for a trade instead of putting his gloves in his shop for 35 exalt.

Such a dick move, I was so happy I was gonna get my friend an item he needed to finish his build.
Standard League
"
levy42088 wrote:
Learn from it? How? Don't trade on trade chat?
No. The lesson to take from this is that it's quite foolhardy to rush headlong in to selling something you don't even have. If an offer seems too good to be true, chances are...

"
This isn't right, and he is ruining the integrity of the game.
I'm going to pretend you did not just imply that integrity was a quality of this game.

"
And naming and shaming isn't the same as warning other players. Naming and shaming, to me, means don't go here and say "ha ha I just beat him in a duel!! He sucks ass!!!
Naming and shaming is any circumstance under which you point out another player for anything that might cast them in a poor light, regardless of whether or not your claim is true.

"
And in the 2 years playing path of exile I have not seen this done. Especially not one as thought out and deceptive as this. He should be banned by ggg, lets see what they have to say
It's not anything new. He preyed on greed and found someone greedy. GGG encourages this sort of thing, so don't expect any bans to be handed out over this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info