How does it end?

I started the game yesterday and was wondering, like I do in all mmorpg's, moba's etc. etc. How does the game end? I don't mean narrative wise. Like what's the level cap and is there enough late game content or do you just keep playing the same maps throughout all acts till you lose interest and move on to another game? I read somewhere that once you finish in normal the game immediately sends you back to the beginning on the next difficulty. Is this true?
It is.
Level cap is 100 (atm).
Once you reached the 3rd difficulty (merciless), however, and you reached Act III there, Solaris Temple II and the adjacent laboratory to be precise, you can play maps.
These drop in areas with level 60 monsters and above and are end game levels, ranging from area level 66 to 78(?). They are like items and can be modified with orbs, making them blue, rare and some even unique. They have different map mods.
Read here
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
There is three difficulties, normal, cruel and merciless (with increasing density/penalties) that all have three acts. Once you finish a difficulty it will send you to the next one until you reach the end of merciless.

The level cap is 100, you will reach around 60 by the time you finish the game properly (after merciless).

After you complete merciless you will need to use the map system to level up past around 65-66 (up till then, just revisit old high level maps). The map system is a randomly generated map of monsters based on the item used in the laboratory device in the eternal laboratory or in your hideout.

For example:

This is a lv 77 item that I could use to spawn a map in the laboratory, which would open a randomly generated shipyard map (based on docks) with lv 77 monsters and the listed modifiers. These items can be changed by currency such as alchemy orbs and transmutation orbs to alter their prefixes and affixes, just like regular items.

Now the aim is to keep getting high level map item drops from the maps you use, as monsters in the map will drop better maps dependent on their level, whereas monsters outside these areas will only drop lv 66 maps.

That's pretty much the easiest way I can sum up the typical endgame path, however you can also farm things like bosses for drops.

A lot of the games fun comes from making interesting builds and pushing your character to the limits of how far it can go.
Last edited by TheMiddler on Sep 28, 2014, 1:30:35 AM
The main story cycles through 3 difficulties: Normal, Cruel and Merciless. It consists of 3 Acts. At the end of the 3rd Act, you go back to the start on the next higher difficulty.

At the end of Merciless you gain access to a Map Device. Maps drop as loot. You can craft mods onto the maps to affect their difficulty and loot drop rate. Placing the map in the Map Device opens portals into the map.

End game consists of finding maps, crafting maps, running maps.

There's currently 65 different basic maps and 8 unique maps that can drop.

Act 3 Merciless ends with level 66 zones. Maps drop as level 66 to level 80 zones.

Character level cap is 100. But don't worry, being 10 or 20 levels above a map level does not mean you can faceroll it.
Last edited by Qiox on Sep 28, 2014, 1:41:25 AM
We all forgot the most important thing:

GGG constantly adds new content. A 4th act is being made and will be released next year (I think).
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
We all forgot the most important thing:

GGG constantly adds new content. A 4th act is being made and will be released next year (I think).

The last news on that was that it's planned for March

We're on a 3 month league now. There will be another 3 month league. Act 4 is currently planned to release with the next set of leagues.
Thought this was a question about the mating season... aNyways. This genre never ends. You become an obsessive collector of many things. When your skin breaks out, you forget to use the potty and you develop carpal tunnel and nights turn into days... You think the game is over, but it's not. It's just your body falling prey to an addiction.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
TheMiddler wrote:
The level cap is 100, you will reach around 60 by the time you finish the game properly (after merciless.

Really? The level cap is 100 and you can only reach 60 by the end. Shit. I just hope it doesn't turn into a grind fest.
"
RVBEETZ wrote:
"
TheMiddler wrote:
The level cap is 100, you will reach around 60 by the time you finish the game properly (after merciless.

Really? The level cap is 100 and you can only reach 60 by the end. Shit. I just hope it doesn't turn into a grind fest.

More likely closer to level 70 when finishing Merciless Dominus.

Unlike in some other recent RPG(s), the level cap here is very high and isn't meant to be reached by 99,99% of the people playing. Playing till level 100 requires a huge amount of hours and commitment.

Anyway, after you have all the necessary passive points to "complete" your build (should be at around 70-80), additional levels don't really add that much power into your character.
"
RVBEETZ wrote:
"
TheMiddler wrote:

Level 100 is not end game. It is more for prestige and something for the heavy grinders to work toward.

This is an ARPG made by a company called Grinding Gear Games. Might want to temper your expectations some and read up on the genre, this is not World of Warcraft.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info