Tips on getting to 100 solo

I've done a bit of research on the subject of reaching level 100 solo, and other than Havoc's post from a year or so ago couldn't find anything else that was of much help, especially for going solo at the objective. Things have obviously changed a little since then. I'm currently in the high 80's with my mara build, and have basically set myself the goal of trying to get to 100 just for the heck of it - I'd really like to max out the skill tree to see where the build stands at that point from the perspective of reality, as against theory.

To preempt the naysayers who'll ask 'what's the point', all I can say is each to their own. Some aim for wealth, others for godly gear, others for recognition on the tables. This may well be my last build before I quietly retire from the game, so I've set myself a few targets, one of which is the level 100 pinnacle.

So for those who've made it there - or those who aspire to - can you give some tips and an outline on how to play out the maps, what I should basically look to as a minimum map-wise for leveling at each point, and what kind of rolls/mods to look for in terms of maximizing map finds along the way to help replenish stocks? I have all the gear I think I'll need, and have around 40 - 50 ex set aside at this point for map purchases along the way to help keep in stock. What kind of map quantities/levels will I be requiring once I get to the high 90's?

Thanks
Honestly, this will require an INSANE amount of time. At lvl 89+, dying cost a lot of time.

Look at the experience chart on the wiki and you'll get the idea. Lvl 92 to 100 is the same amount of xp as lvl 1 to 92, and at high 80s you're at one third of your goal.

Wish you good luck if you still want to do it ;)
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Imo you should really dont try to solo to 100 it'll take way too long + can get very frustrating when you die... cuz you just lose to many EXP its not even funny.

Ur leveling way faster in a full party doing lvl 70+ maps.

If this is meant as a challenge I really wish you good luck on your journey! :)

Why slash enemys into piece when you can simply burn them to ash?! :P
First off, unless you're really wealthy to the point where you can consistently buy lvl 78 maps, getting to level 100 solo is going to take FOREVER. The time investment is ludicrous (even for the wealthy), and sustaining a map pool makes the process even harder and longer. I've been playing like an addict, and my highest character just got to lvl 92. Getting much beyond that is not appealing at all.

But if you still find the idea appealing, here are the basics:

1) DON'T DIE. The loss of xp at high levels is enough to make people rage quit. Know your build's weaknesses and avoid map rolls and bosses that you may not be able to handle. Better to play it safe than to lose xp. It's cheap to Transmute/Augment/Alt your maps, and you'll know what you're getting into. Rare maps can be a gamble unless you have so many Chaos that you're sure to roll safe map mods.

2) ALCH EVERYTHING beyond lvl 72 if you need to sustain your map pool via drops. If you run out of maps that are higher than 72, it's time to start using Alchs on what you do have. If you have a ton of low level maps (70-72; it's not worth running anything lower unless you run out), Transmute/Augment/Alt them to save currency and hopefully get higher level map drops. If you run out of Alch or other basic currency, farm The Catacombs like crazy and vendor all your rares after you identify them (aside from ones you save for the Chaos recipe).

3) CHISEL EVERYTHING beyond lvl 75. Not cheap, so good luck with this one. Between Alchs and Chisels, you really want over 80% quantity per map (perhaps with the exception of maps that roll both pack size and magic monsters).

Final note: It might take years for you to hit level 100 solo if you can't outright buy maps. A more reasonable goal is to experience all endgame content (beat Atziri, beat Uber Atziri, get all Masters to lvl 8).
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
So you're saying that every single person who's made it to 100 has done it via partying? I prefer the challenge of achieving goals on my own - more satisfaction that way - so I'd see it as a flaw in the system if it's so difficult to make it there solo. Why make it a handicap to try going it alone, or conversely, easier in groups?

As I pointed out in my first post, each to their own in terms of setting goals. I'm already at a level where I can hit Atziri, though Uber was something I felt I'd need to be at or near 100 to attempt, though I doubt there'll be any success in that area anyway given this is a tank build - not unless I want to grind my way to godly gear. As I pointed out, this is likely my last build, so I have zero interest in staying on for the sake of becoming ultra-wealthy, setting up for new characters, or even maxing the masters, though I'm doing my dailies and leveling them along the way as part of the process anyway - breaks up the tedium of mapping constantly. When something is finite, as against a lifestyle choice (I say that in humour) endgame goals become the focus, so I'm steadily ticking off the things I wanted to achieve and have only a few left. Beating Atziri regularly is one, Beating Uber just once is another, and getting to 100 was the last.

it will take you around 400 78 maps from 99 too 100
Write random stuff here
It sucks! I am 91, 34% and on my way to 92! It's a crazy grind, I might give up myself but idk...The real issue is burn out, it gets to a point where your playing but your not really playing, like a zombie or a robot! As for dying if your builds good it's not really an issue even with dysnc, i'm at the point gear wise and build wise I can just take the boss hits and nuke! I play a cleave duelist, 12 hits a sec 29k dps at 5k hp...maps can be an issue at times, I hate trading so I just go back and do ALL my lower maps to build back up my higher maps...I honestly don't know why it requires so much, then again I don't get why they do a lot of things! lol
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Sep 28, 2014, 9:43:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info