High item quantity + quality maps=bogus returns

So i have noticed recently while mapping that the more quality i add to a map the less map drops I recieve in return. I recently ran a level 75 bazar map with 89 quantity and 20 quality and recieved not one map drop. However, I notice that when I run just regular blue maps i often recieve a greater return. WTF? I realize this game is rng based but why such pathetic rng? How does one progress through the map system solo with these kinds of returns? Is group play the only option to sustain a map pool? I seem to get decent gear and currency to sustain alcing and chizeling maps but the maps themselves do not drop very often to help progress. I'm not a heroin addict but where the f**k is this mythical dragon I keep chasing?

*trolls, assholery, and constructive critisism all welcome.

PEACE

Oh, a btw if GGG wants to nerf the cartographers strong boxes they should come do a map session with me before hand. Is it problematic that people want to progress through the maps? Seriously. I dont understand nerfing the spawn rate of those. I'm ranting I know, but it seems like when something benefits the player base (heres looking at you Eleron) GGG decides to nerf it. Give me a break.
Last edited by eugenstash on Sep 27, 2014, 4:00:54 PM
http://solhifady.blogspot.be/
I find it doesn't matter what I do, maps just drop when they want to drop.

I've run maps with over 100% IIQ and 20% quality and gotten nothing, and ive run maps with 0% IIQ and 0% quality and gotten 5 maps in return. Its all random and it can be very frustrating at times.
Don't bother with increasing map IIQ, it seems to have minor impact.

Edit:

interesting fact: i've opened dozens (maybe hundreds lol) of strongboxes with "+(1000–2000)% Increased rarity of items" and loot was total garbage. Hell, even strongboxes without "+(1000–2000)% Increased rarity of items" seem to drop better loot. If 2000% IIR appears as shit, then probably having IIR on your gear is even worse situation.

increasing IIQ and IIR on gear and maps seem to have minor impact. Some other game mechanics play major role here.

Edit #2:

Go for increased monster pack size, more magic and more rare monsters on maps. If you wont get any good drops, atleast you will get more experience. Dont torture yourself with rare maps which have lots of annoying mods
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Sep 27, 2014, 9:07:24 PM
This has actually been confirmed many times already, but in case you weren't aware. The best way to get more maps to drop is by running maps with more magic and rare monsters, and larger pack size. The rest doesn't really seem to affect map drops much so as stated above, don't kill yourself on 100% quantity maps with tough mods. Just run the ones with 40-60% quantity with magic / rare monster mods.
"
VixTrader wrote:
This has actually been confirmed many times already, but in case you weren't aware. The best way to get more maps to drop is by running maps with more magic and rare monsters, and larger pack size. The rest doesn't really seem to affect map drops much so as stated above, don't kill yourself on 100% quantity maps with tough mods. Just run the ones with 40-60% quantity with magic / rare monster mods.

Or better yet, alch and go.

I only use chaos on blood magic and no / half regen everything else is a go. Usually a rare map will have at least one decent mod (pack size, magic mobs, rare mobs, dual boss, or 2 exiles)

Rolling maps is a waste of currency.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
"
VixTrader wrote:

Or better yet, alch and go.

I only use chaos on blood magic and no / half regen everything else is a go. Usually a rare map will have at least one decent mod (pack size, magic mobs, rare mobs, dual boss, or 2 exiles)

Rolling maps is a waste of currency.

I like dual boss and exiles as well, but they don't really do much of anything for actual map drops. They just drop a few extra rares.

All my 76+ maps I chaos them until they get magic, rare, or pack size. Everything below 76 is alc and go, not worth the currency sink...
it no use to play " hard" maps for the iiq just played a 48%magic monster fleet mod 75 bazar had it chiseled with vaal frags and enabled onslaught mod zana(6 chaos) ~110iiq

not a single mapdrop ....apart from adrenaline rush 100% castspeed evangelists are really scary

not worth it
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Sep 28, 2014, 3:54:04 PM
Aye, stopped investing currency into maps, just alch and go.

183% 77 map returned Graveyard and Plateau. Fuck that.
I AM MAD
ZAP!ZAP!ZAP! ME SOOO WIZZARD!
It's interesting this has been the experience of other players as well.

Is this a recent thing or has it always been this way.

I have never really worried about higher level maps until recently mainly running Piety, Dominus and then blue 66 and 67 maps mainly looking for masters. Doing this I accumulated a massive amount of maps from 66 to 69. (I normally vendor up three of maps I don't like to run to move up a level, I don't know if this is a good idea or not...)

However, with Zana slowly levelling up and doing here daily missions I noticed an increase in level 70 to 74 maps.

Yesterday I decided I'd alch some of these and run them hoping to push my pool of 70+ maps higher. I ran about 10 maps with the worst IIQ of 83% from memory. I even vaaled a few of the higher ones for fun and had a few IIQ of 120%+.

I got less than 1 map drop per map on average with a high of level 72. Luckily I ran into a cartographers box and managed to roll additional item drop so got about 10 maps from that with 5 over level 70.

Somewhere in there I ran a blue 66 that dropped and had 9% IIQ or something crappy and got 5 map drops from that alone. At the time I just thought it was funny and RNG being RNG.

Today I have run three more alched maps with a low IIQ of 76% and have had one Villa map drop total.

I know this is a pretty small sample size and little investment but is this the type of returns I can expect from such maps?

Am I better off just running the maps blue?

I guess I should avoid mods that slow me down like temporal chains but it seems weird to chaos a map that has 90%+ IIQ that I know I can run easily (albiet slowly).

Would be keen to here other people's experiences. Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info