A tale of integrity.

"
Boem wrote:
Don't forget, adjusting the price is not the same as removing the mod, they are upping the "buy-in" threshold for these weapons, which in fact is something that will mater at the start of next league and for players joining the league late, really this price change will do nothing, which is exactly why it is a dumb move to pull mid-league.
Ironically, this is where you and I see this exactly the same way. Re-pricing the craft will have no long term implications beyond slowing down the creation of strong weapons. Yes, some players are disadvantaged this league, but from an equity perspective, those that elected to spend the time/effort levelling their masters early are going to profit, and while I agree philosophically with your position, there is no harm done beyond a little profiteering over the weekend. If the decision was made to hold off repricing till league end, I believe the implication for the game would be devastating due to the power creep in the temp leagues.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Sep 26, 2014, 6:43:05 PM
Its simply because changing the price of Elreon mod, requires one line of code, but that other thing required more work.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
There's two things wrong about directly changing the price of the meta mod, which asks very important questions:

Firstly, is the meta mod imbalanced? If it is imbalanced, what needs to be done in order to correct it - the behaviour of the mod itself? Changing the price doesn't change the power of the meta mod itself, it just makes it prohibitive or players won't use it if it's too expensive. One notion of how it could have been corrected that it could only allows two other master mods (3 in total) as an idea. I believe this has been already suggested...

If the mod itself isn't considered imbalanced, the thing that is glaringly unbalanced is how many of the cost of crafting mods don't scale and makes mods on some items really expensive or really cheap depending on what items you use. Low level crafting doesn't really happen because the cost of the mods are sort of bad. High level crafting happens a lot because it's worth the cost of currency items.

The cost of bench crafted mods should change based on the itemlevel of the item it's being used on and additional costs for other master crafted mods. This would make any additional master mods you add with the master benches significantly more expensive with meta mods. Master mods should be at least relative to the level of the item it's being used on not just the level of the mod you're using. This should be the case for EVERYTHING. Elreon would also make additional master mods more expensive.

The jim-jam solution is just make it so you can only put it on rare items so you roll to regal...
The meta is endless and unforgiving, get over it.
HAIL SATAN!
"
YellowMage wrote:
There's two things wrong about directly changing the price of the meta mod, which asks very important questions:

Firstly, is the meta mod imbalanced? If it is imbalanced, what needs to be done in order to correct it - the behaviour of the mod itself? Changing the price doesn't change the power of the meta mod itself, it just makes it prohibitive or players won't use it if it's too expensive. One notion of how it could have been corrected that it could only allows two other master mods (3 in total) as an idea. I believe this has been already suggested...

If the mod itself isn't considered imbalanced, the thing that is glaringly unbalanced is how many of the cost of crafting mods don't scale and makes mods on some items really expensive or really cheap depending on what items you use. Low level crafting doesn't really happen because the cost of the mods are sort of bad. High level crafting happens a lot because it's worth the cost of currency items.

The cost of bench crafted mods should change based on the itemlevel of the item it's being used on and additional costs for other master crafted mods. This would make any additional master mods you add with the master benches significantly more expensive with meta mods. Master mods should be at least relative to the level of the item it's being used on not just the level of the mod you're using. This should be the case for EVERYTHING. Elreon would also make additional master mods more expensive.

The jim-jam solution is just make it so you can only put it on rare items so you roll to regal...

That takes too much work and as I came to see - that is what they don't like when balancing. It's always the shortest route (even though it most of the time is the worst).
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Sep 27, 2014, 3:26:53 AM
Always the worst.

I like the placeholder-ish Vaal Orb corruption prices tho'. 2 Vaal Orbs for Nemesis mod on a corrupted map is a bargain mostly because it's the only one I can actually afford.
WTS
"
Boem wrote:
"
nikals wrote:
Vendor prices aren't unintended mechanics. Snapshotting is. That's how I'm assuming GGG is looking at it and thus taking different actions in these two different scenarios.

This thread is not about the price, neither about the effect of the mod.

It is about the action taken against it in the middle of a league.

(also what you call snapshotting is a mechanic introduced into the game that players creatively worked with, which is exactly the same as the multicraft mod, a mechanic introduced that players got creative with both resulting in unforeseen scenario's by GGG)

They are two very different issues (although you believe they are the same), it's the reason they are being treated and handled differently. Snapshotting was never "introduced" to the game, it was an unintended mechanic (ie exploit). The issue here is unbalanced vendor prices. Intended mechanic but they underestimated the power of it so they felt the need to adjust it asap.

Wether this thread is about action being taken during the middle of the league or not, you still have to take into account the specifics of each issue to understand the reasons behind the actions by GGG.

I'm sure snapshotting was a lot harder to fix than adjusting a vendor price.
Pants of Textile
Last edited by nikals on Sep 27, 2014, 12:59:35 PM
@nikals, they had a workable fix for the RF minion snapshot bug within 1 week if i remember correctly, but decided to implement it at the end of the league to allow other people to utilize it.
(since it was utilized to get lvl 100 and would undermine the competition if handled differently and quite frankly upset a lot of the community)

Btw i already stated i was wrong, this has happened before with the Cwdt gem change "mid-league", i did not remember this because i was self-casting at that time so my issue is void.

Apparently this is not the first time a league rule-set is changed mid-league.

My example is about the RF snapshot abuse btw, not about snapshot in general, which was an unintended mechanic being introduced i agree, but allowed until fixed.

The RF minion snap-shot was a whole different beast.

And there effect on the ladder/economy are equal.

Both increase xp/hour
Both increase farm/hour

it is this that undermines the competition of league's since the cost associated with it is being changed and the "buy-in" is being increased. Devaluating the time investment of player's coming late to the league or not using this craft yet (solo self-found for example?)

Peace,

-Boem-

(if a GGG member reads this, given there data, they will understand the parallel i am making here, no need to tell me to get my examples right, when they are, for the point i am trying to make, they both have a same effect on the league's evolution a snowball increase once utilized)
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Zanixx wrote:
I KNEW this would come up eventually.

I haven't got multi-mods yet as my master isn't high enough but the way I view it:

Those who have invested more time early have been able to take advantage of a change that will now become more expensive. Thats their 'reward' for being dedicated and active.

Thats it.

No whinging, no crying, no 'waaa waaa I missed out and people have spent less than me waaa waaa".

Grow a pair ffs.

PS. I hate the new cost as I'm SF. Completely unreasonable.

Okay I had enough of this shitty argument.
The reason why people get "mad" over it, is because it's fucking MID-LEAGUE!

We are racing against each others, some takes it serious, some doesn't.
If being allowed to "cheese" the game if you just abused it before it got increased, how is it then a fair league?

And yes, they should have done it in X-Amount of Chaos orbs.
Yes, Forsaken Masters was a huge failure, Masters is pretty much promoting party play even harder than the game did before the expansion, gl leveling a Master to Lv 8 without chaining Dailies with Guildies/Friends/Global820.

Let's not forget leveling a new Char and then find a Master.. You just skip him/her, they don't grant enough EXP to be worth the time investment.
The shit they sell, are all mostly useless, in exception of the Elreon Jewelry's.
Like, who the fuck have even considered buying the %Q to Support Gems?
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info