A tale of integrity.

Once upon a time there was this league where many a player participated, one of these players found out about a loop-hole in the system. An unintended side-effect not really anticipated by the developers of this game.

Of course i am talking about the mine/trap summoning abuse league, also known as the HvR DgaF league.

After this got public GGG decided to allow this "novel mechanics utilizing" to continue for the end of the league's duration.

For the equality between the player-base so we where told, GGG decided to allow everybody to utilize this "nifty" trick until the league was over.

Now, to make my point,

the elreon crafting cost change is similar in practice yet GGG is taking a whole different stance on this issue disregarding previous manners of how to solve/deal with issue's like this.

Let's compare situation A with B.

A :

A mechanic is discovered previously unaware of existence to the developers resulting in a ladder/xp per hour benefit to the players utilizing it.(not to mention economical benefit of "kills per hour")

B :

A mechanic is introduced in the game and is then utilized in a way the developers did not foresee.
This mechanic allows the creation of 300+- dps 1-handers thus resulting in a ladder/xp per hour benefit to players utilizing it.(dito)

The question then becomes, why was A allowed to run it's course over the end of it's apparent league in favor of "equality among players participating in that league" while B is getting the opposite treatment?

Now we have a situation where if GGG proceeds to alter situation B as they are suggesting, they lose a part of there integrity towards future "unintended mechanics".

As it stands, player's could rest assured that if they exploit/get creative with mechanics and find something cool it would remain until the end of the league for them to toy with. Creating a sort of "safe" feeling and even enabling that player to disclose what he has discovered without real "fear" towards immediate action.

However if the suggested change to the Elreon meta proceeds, this "safety" is gone out of the window solely because it is changed "mid-league" without thought for equality between the player-base.

I will end with saying that i still believe in GGG and how they do things, however i am mildly disappointed with the action to change this "mid-league" and nothing more. I agree a change needs to be made, however, this will not sit well with your player-base since it violates standards you previously put on yourself due to actions in the past.

Also since i am making this threat, i will add some thoughts on how i consider this could be handled properly without creating discomfort within the player-base.
Spoiler
1) no change is made to this until this league has run it's course.
2) my personal vote for the cost goes to roughly 75 chaos for this craft.
(reasoning : this mod is suppose to favor solo players, as such it stands to reason the chaos currency is utilized since it is the most easily farm-able with a certain degree of success/stability independent of market/economy behavior)

I would also like to add, another solution could be to make it cost 80 chaos or 2 exalts.
This would result in a sort of "base-line" cost for exalts while still enabling a "smart trader" advantage.

Peace,

-Boem-

Tl;Dr Your consistency is starting to lack GGG and it will undermine what you created in the past.

GGg on sir's and gal's.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I was about to buy a grandmaster pack :P

FUCK THAT time to get me a new video card up in this bitch.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
People didn't build their entire characters around the Elreon crafting mod. Your comparison fails.
agree, modifications which change the gameplay in a way that a certain group of players is disadvantaged, should only be made between temp leagues.

Spoiler
ok i'm a bit biased in this matter as the change puts me in a disadvantage cause i really couldn't play much in the current temp league since and aquire currency. highest currency drop was one gcp and best unique a rat's nest 2 days ago.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I think this is quite appropriate summary of what's going on in here since the patch notes were announced:

Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaGJRV-whU

Just replace EA with GGG!

Oh nooo EA is fucking low don't reduce them to THAT level lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
It's this lack of integrity and their boners for the 1% that are making me uninstall literally right this second. I'm done supporting these people and their twisted sense of fun and fairness. It makes me regret having sunk any time into this game and I wish I could take it all back. I'd be happier for it.
"
Hodari wrote:
People didn't build their entire characters around the Elreon crafting mod. Your comparison fails.

You mean people didn't take weapon specific nodes in there build to then utilize this meta mod to it's fullest potential getting a "one-up" on others who cant utilize this meta-mod with the same cost associated to it?

Damn, i must have been afk in town to long.

Peace,

-Boem-

(also this is about the underlying decision being made, not so much about the cost being subject to change, which does not surprise me one bit)

Edit : also Hodari i know you mean well, but my comparison (or more so, lack there off) is actually my point. One would consider GGG to take the same stance on both cases, which they do not and this in itself is troubling since both have the same "end result" = a skewed ladder and xp/hour ratio.

This is not a problem in itself if it is skewed for every player participating in a league, however in this instance because of the change "mid-league" it will have repercussions and it will result in a sense of favoritism (either true or false, i do not judge) towards players who could utilize this mod prior to change.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Sep 26, 2014, 8:09:27 AM
I think GGG learned the lessen that leaving exploits alone until the end of the league does not lead to desirable results.

B.
The Preceding message contains discretion.
Viewer nudity is advised.
I KNEW this would come up eventually.

I haven't got multi-mods yet as my master isn't high enough but the way I view it:

Those who have invested more time early have been able to take advantage of a change that will now become more expensive. Thats their 'reward' for being dedicated and active.

Thats it.

No whinging, no crying, no 'waaa waaa I missed out and people have spent less than me waaa waaa".

Grow a pair ffs.

PS. I hate the new cost as I'm SF. Completely unreasonable.
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info