Dominus Farm Group Guide - How to Farm Dominus

How to Farm Dominus
Farming dominus = top end game profit, but comes with high expectations.
(Ideally, there will be a kill every few minutes.)

In order to farm Dominus this efficiently, every group member must be perfectly choreographed and know the routine by heart. If you don't know what you are doing, you will be kicked.
Group Roles

Culler
The 'culler' uses 'culling strike', high 'item quantity'(IQ), high 'item rarity' (IR). When dominus is ~10% life or less, it is your job to get the final hit. Your survival is important. If you die, the run is spoiled. Do not die. Consider distancing yourself from Dominus for most of the fight. Successful culling on a boss benefits from VERY rapid attacks as well as high DPS.

DPS

Kill Dominus quickly. When Dominus is about 10% life, slow down and or stop hitting. The culler needs to get the final hit. It may be beneficial to switch out to lower DPS attacks.

Anchor

The culler or group leader is usually the 'anchor'.

How to Anchor:
1. Travel to 'The Sceptre of God' by waypoint.
2. Go to the stairs
3. Cast teleport (open a portal, AKA 'TP')
4. Announce that you are the anchor and your portal is set.
5. [Important] Do not create any new portals. Other group members will use yours repeatedly as part of their routine. They will take your TP to the stairs, then hold CTRL while clicking the stairs to create a new instance. This saves time for the group.

If anchoring, it may be helpful to disable your portal spell except when it is needed. This will avoid the accidental creation of new portals by accident. I.e. if you normally create a TP after each kill, but now it's suddenly a bad idea. That habit is going to stick with you and may interfere with your duties as anchor.

Anchor should revisit their portal regularly, before 8 minutes. This keeps the zone alive. It may be necessary to visit after every few dom kills or loot runs.

Anchors provide three benefits:

1. Saves time: The amount of time it would take for a group member to go from the WP and find the stairs going up.

2. Having a TP in a zone extends the amount of time which can pass before the zone is 'forgotten' by the game. For groups that clear Dominus quickly, this is rarely a problem, however.

3. This next part is important. If a group member uses the waypoint to create a [new] zone by using [CTRL]+click, the game will give them a new zone... BUT the moment they go up the first stairs, they will be placed into the existing zone of a different group member. - When group members start saying stuff like, "Hey, get out of my zone!" or "Weird, somebody already got ahead of me somehow." - this is because someone probably created their own zone (at waypoint) and then forgot to [CTRL]+click the stairs. If people start AT the stairs, they are less likely to forget. This is further explained in detail in the next post.

Note: If someone DOES forget, there might not be many hints for them because all the monsters are probably still alive. They might go all the way up to dominus, create a TP, and then realize Dominus is dead. It may be a good idea to kill at least a few monsters so there is an indication.

An alternative to anchoring: Everybody uses waypoint to old zone (pre-cleared for fast running), CTRL + click the first stairway to create new.

Dominus Farming Routine: Part One
1. Use the anchor's portal.
2. Hold 'CTRL' key while clicking stairway, create a 'new' instance.
3. Run past the mobs, taking stairs all the way up to the top.
4. Open a portal.
5. Announce your instance of Dominus is ready. "%Up"

Running past monsters can be tricky, especially for non-melee characters. I highly recommend the use of 'lightning warp' and 'leap slam'. Use every mobility and survival skill at your disposal, and never stop moving. The monsters will have difficulty targeting you as long as you are constantly mobile.

Three sets of stairs await you.
First two sets are found in corners.
Third set is found in middle.
I.e. corner, corner, middle.

Non-anchor: Save your progress by creating portals along the way. Note the 'portal' skill gem has a 2 second cast time (but scrolls are instant). If monsters regularly stun you while running, consider equipping Eye of Chayula

Running along the perimeter means you always have your back to a wall, this is safer than running through the middle and being targeted from all sides.

Group leaders: This is a lot to explain, don't yell at people for being a newb, refer them to a guide (like this one?). Yes, like this one.

Note: People don't like waiting, so other players will be highly critical if it takes you a long time to run to the top. Before joining a Dominus group, do a few practice runs so you have the hang of it and won't be 'that guy' that makes everybody wait.

When doing your practice runs, get to the top and make a "Dominus kill" group. People will join right up and you'll see how much loot drops. With a culler, about 75% of that will be rares.

Dominus Farming Routine: Part Two - Killing Dominus

The leader of the group has waited for all players to be 'up', meaning they have an instance ready with a portal at the top of the stairs.

Leader: Now is a good time to remind the group to slow DPS at 10% to 30% for culling.

Press 'S' to open the 'social screen' and view your group. The natural order for killing Dominus will be from the top down. You will be expected to keep track without anyone telling you which TP to take after each kill.

Take the TP and wait. Do not move until all players are in the zone with you.

Dominus has several stages and forms. This is what you need to know.
1. Kill first form. Nothing to explain here.
2. Dominus will respawn in a new form at a location which is to the right. Follow the experienced players to see where to go. Stand close. If you have decoy totems, drop them now.
3. Dominus will do an attack which damages any player that is not standing close. If you just died, you were not close enough. During this attack, you will see an indicator on the ground showing just how close you need to be. If you are the culler, stand back just a little bit.
4. DPS. When health hits 30%, slow down. When health hits ~10%, switch attacks or stop. You know if your character has extremely high DPS, middle, or low. Act accordingly.

Culler: Until now, your job has been to contribute DPS from a safe distance (stay alive), now it is time to kill.

5. Celebrate! (but quickly)

Dominus Farming Routine: Part Three - After Killing Dominus

Group leader:
1. After each kill, wait a few seconds for people to use their 'stash' or to sell items.
2. Announce the next TP by group member name. (Groups get confused without leadership/announcements. Players are well conditioned to take any portal that is called out by name. Don't try to reinvent the wheel with a better system.)

Players: After killing dominus, being fast is appreciated and expected. It is best to just stash your new items and immediately go to the next kill. Don't waste time identifying or selling them unless you are in a casual group.

Go back to part two of the guide, it's time to kill dominus again. After six kills, each group member will go back to step one of the guide (Start new zones and announce "up").

This post contains a quick guide. See next post of in depth information.
Maintenance: Useful information through the thread will be moved into first two posts.
20% Quality Gem Shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1073061
Uniques: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1073096
Main Shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1023587
Comprehensive POE Trade Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1074558
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 8, 2014, 7:41:00 PM
In Depth Dom Farm Information

Anchors and Zone Creation Mixups

The instancing for the 'Sceptre of God' area always begins at the first stairway. This means that even if a player starts a new instance from the Waypoint, the first set of stairs will place them right back into an old instance. I.e. creating a new zone and running from waypoint provides no benefit. (The only way to create a new instance is at the stairs.)

When two players end up in the same instance, it is usually because one was unaware of this and thought they should create a new instance from the waypoint instead of the stairs. The end up creating that new instance, taking the stairs, seeing monsters (because runners don't fight, they just run past monsters and this makes he instance look new).. Finally, they catch up to the other runner who says, "Get the fuck out of my zone and run your own instance." It's an easy misunderstanding for new players, and old players usually don't know hot to explain it in a way that new players will understand.

If you didn't understand the above paragraph, then do these steps. It's easier to understand by doing than reading.
1. Create a new zone through the waypoint system, enter it and go up the stairs.
2. drop an item.
3. Go to town.
4. Create a new zone through the waypoint system, go up the stairs.
5. You will see the item you dropped. (You are in an old zone)
6. Go down the stairs.
7. CTRL + Click on the stairs and create a new zone.
8. Go up the stairs.
9. Your item is gone, you are in a new zone.

By doing this, you can easily see why it is absolutely important to create a new zone at the stairs, and never create a new zone through the waypoint system. If the anchor TP goes down because the anchor player forgot and made a new TP somewhere else, do not create a new zone through the waypoint system. The old zone is probably still up, and the path is probably clear of monsters. This allows a new anchor to be set up quickly and safely, and also saves time since you can run through and old zone, straight to the stairs.

Kill Order & Announcements

Leader announces what TP to take, at the time it should be taken (not before).

Leader usually glances at the group tab, ordering from top to bottom.
(It is important to note that not all group members will see the same order.)

Group members do not ask who to kill next. A good leader will announce, every single time.

Some leaders may base order by who said "up" first, but this can be confusing and isn't very organized or reliable. This causes mistakes and lost time.

Do not announce order before it is time to kill. Do not expect players to remember more than one thing at a time (that is bad leadership that confuses the group).

Group Chat

Rule 1. Shut up.
Rule 2. See rule one.
Rule 3. Announcements and instructions only.

Group chat in a Dom run is announcements only, instructions only.

It is ok to link an item if it dropped, and if it is unique. Else, do not link your item. It is culture in dom runs to provide a courtesy link after picking up a unique, especially if loot allocation is not set to permanent and sharing of unique loot may be expected.

Do not talk about the linked item. Remember rule 3. The ONLY appropriate response is to ask that the item be given to someone else, because loot is being shared. If it's not useful instructions, shut up.

Do not link items under any other circumstances.

If you really want to talk while grouping and can not follow the rules, set up voice chats with teamspeak or raidcall.

Low Life Cullers

Even if the culler is weak and easily dies, they can still do Dom runs safely, with almost zero risk of dying or missing a cull. Here's how:

When the bug is coming out of the ground, wait until the head emerges. The culler may now return to town for safety (Re-create your portal at the area where dominus emerges). It is not necessary to wait for Dominus to fully climb out of the ground, to have a visibe life bar, or to begin combat.

Tell the culler when to come back, about 20 before they are needed. When the culler comes back into the zone, they have 20 seconds of immunity (as long as they do not move or cast). The culler can wait for the perfect moment to begin culling. They will have been fully protected for 90% of the fight.

Looting

In public parties, set loot allocation to 'Permanent'. If a unique drops, the game randomly decides who gets it. This prevents fights about ninja looting of valuable items.

Options For Vendoring Loot

• Each player vendors between kills: (This can be slow.)

• Grab and stash: Each player picks up loot and then dumps it in an open stash tab without even identifying it. (Fast, but not all players have extra tabs.)

• Culler can vendor. (Always works)

Vendoring Culler:

While other players are running to create new Dominus instances, culler visits each old instance through the TP. Keep portals up for the culler by exiting any instance through lady Diala's portal instead of your own.

Culler picks up loot, identifies it, and vendors for orbs. This produces lots of alts to share after the runs. If the culler takes time to look at items that might be sold, they should throw them into a stash tab.

If leaving a group with a vending culler, send a PM asking for a share of orbs from selling loot. They may be happy to do so.

Dominus @ POE Wiki
Dominus Wiki: In a high DPS group, the information in the wiki is mostly irrelevant because Dominus will die within 30 seconds.

If you need to solo dominus or kill in a small group, however, this information becomes important.

TL;DR: Max resists, stand close to Dominus after his first form dies so that the 'blood rain' attack does not kill you. Use 'instant healing' potions and consider using portal scrolls to replenish your flasks. He resists chaos and elemental dmg.

Improving Run Speed and Survival

With practice and the right gear, your run time will be < 60 seconds.

Map Tells

• Stairs are in complete corners. I.e. If a corner of the map has an area of incomplete flooring, go to the next corner.

•Corners with stairs do not have mobs, so one can circle around the middle and look for an area without monsters.

• Holes in walls can be moved through with teleport or leap slam.

• There are others, please submit and or link screen shots.

• If you go up a stairway and see two (2) doors leading out from the first room, the next stairway will always be adjacent, not across.

• The top level has one of three possible layouts. (I would like you to submit mapped screen shots for further analysis of all levels.)

• It is reportedly productive to check opposite side before adjacent. (Validation and explanation needed)

• Quicksilver flask = 40% movement speed. Quicksilver flask of Adrenaline 70% movement! These are cheap to buy or craft with alts. These are best with extra charges. I use two flasks while running.

• Kill something: This recharges your flasks (only do this if it's faster than going back to town).

• 'Cast on Death' + portal = fast recovery. Other triggers also work well, such as 'cast when stunned', 'cast when damage taken'

• Molten Shell helps avoid stuns/damage while running. Benefits survival when paired with Life Leech.

Smoke mine Benefits survival as well as run time due to speed boost. I.e. you can use it like a quicksilver flask.

Haste (provides +9% movement speed at lv 20)

Eye of Chayula: Stun immunity.

• Die. If you die, you can respawn at the last checkpoint (the last stairway). This might be faster than running there.

RAM Drive: You can improve zone load speeds by about 90% by using a RAM drive. 8GB might work if you are only running POE and no other programs. Else, you will need 12GB or more.

Culling Gear

Gems are an important part of culling. I recommend using 'Flame Totem' as your culling spell because it has a native cast speed of 0.2 (also, since it's a totem, you can cast from a safe distance without risking combat.)

Culling Gear Thread - Read it.

• Boots: GoldWyrm or Wondertrap.
Wondertrap works best with a 'low life build'. This means you have high ES for survival, and use auras with blood magic to get your life below 30% to activate the 'low life' MF bonus from the boots. It may be necessary to take some aura nodes for balance. Note that some auras reserve different amounts, and Clarity is a flat amount. You may also have to do some math to balance your character and gear. See some related gear below.

Going Low Life with Blood Magic

Going low life with blood magic gear.

Consider that you want to go 'low life' by using blood magic. Using a 'blood magic' support gem will increase mana cost by about 200%. This makes auras with 60% mana reservation unusable. Use 'snap shotting'. Equip an item which grants 'blood magic'. Cast your desired auras, then remove the item and replace it with your item of choice. Your aura will persist.

(A future update to game mechanics could stop 'snap shotting' from working by killing auras when items or gems are removed, but for now it works. The downside of snapshotting is time cost and inventory space.

Items with Blood Magic
Malachai's Simula (Note: +20% mana cost)
Prism Guardian : With 25% reduced mana reservation!
The Covenant: robe.

Reaper's Pursuit - Put this in your hot-swap gear. Note: A high ES, low-life build for Wondertrap boots loses the ES benefit of equipped shield when swapping out to Reaper's Pursuit. If you plan on primarily equipping Reaper's Pursuit, then you should consider a high-life build although that's much harder with culling gear. It's much easier to go high ES with a shield and only swap out to Reaper's Pursuit during specific (or easy) boss kills such as Dominus.

• Gloves Sadima's Touch or Aurseize

• Rings: High MF rings are cheaper to buy than Andvarius, and come without resistance penalties.

Windripper I think it might be next to impossible to freeze or shock Dominus, however this item can be 6L and even if it is used for the slots instead of used as a bow, it may be an interesting tool in the culler's arsenal. If you have used it, please report your results.

*Some gear has 'classic' or 'original' versions which no longer drop and can only be bought. These give better bonuses. Try to get pre-nerf gear.

Miscellaneous Tips

• If playing two characters on the same computer: Use Virtuawin (for virtual desktops), or use dual monitors.

Videos

Generic Dominus Video

Freeze Mine + Righteous Fire Dominus Video

Freeze Mine + Righteous Fire Dominus Video

Simple enemies are spawned at the same location where Dominus begins the fight. Freeze Mine is unlikely to have enough cold DMG to freeze Dominus, however since he starts out located close to lower level mobs, 'elemental proliferation' will allow for him to become frozen.

Freeze mine can be supported by trap laying key stones, cold penetration, and other gems.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Freeze_Mine

Freeze Mine has been changed to an update, which results in it causing damage. Since it now causes damage, perma-freezing a boss through lower level mobs + elemental proliferation is less likely to result in an easy perma-freeze (the lower level mob will simply die).

The video also demonstrates the use of 'Righteous Fire', and a technique called 'snap shotting'. The DPS of Righteous Fire is based on HP. The item 'Belly of the Best' greatly boosts HP. I.e. equip something nice, cast a persistent spell, then change equipment.

Notify me of good videos useful for dom run tactics and info, I will add them.

Other Noteworthy Dominus Threads and Guides
The Original Dominus Farming Guide: This guide features important map examples which will improve your run time. It also features guidance for using two accounts on the same computer in order to be your own culler. If you're into soloing, then why not solo among the best drops in the game?

If you know if other good threads/guides, please notify me so I can update this list and cull useful information into a master thread.

[Pending Edits, Revisions, & Plans]

The culler is usually not expected to run new instances. They should, visit their anchor portal more regularly than every 8 minutes. (This keeps the anchor from expiring.) While waiting, they should be looting rares from completed instances and vendoring them for orbs of alteration.
Comprehensive POE Trade Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1074558
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 18, 2014, 2:09:03 AM
Moved for better organization
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 8, 2014, 7:16:48 PM
moved for organization
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 8, 2014, 7:11:01 PM
Moved into first posts for organization.
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 5, 2014, 3:57:03 PM
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 5, 2014, 3:56:51 PM
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 5, 2014, 3:56:39 PM
The whole thing smacks of effort, man. Why not just multiclient and completely cut out the inefficiencies of party farming?
"
Cataract wrote:
The whole thing smacks of effort, man. Why not just multiclient and completely cut out the inefficiencies of party farming?

Some people do that, and it is even possible to do a full 6 man group if multiboxing. Most people aren't that dedicated or patient.
Last edited by fasterfind on Oct 5, 2014, 12:59:05 AM
"
fasterfind wrote:
"
Cataract wrote:

Some people do that, and it is even possible to do a full 6 man group if multiboxing. Most people aren't that dedicated or patient.

I generally find dealing with other people and sharing loot to require more patience than just running multiple clients.

To each their own. GL with the drops.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info