How are you rolling your maps?

I seem to be stuck in 72-73 map pool and can't progress no matter what I do. I've never had this problem in Domination or Ambush leagues. I've tried going for high quantity (80-130) with chisels, fragments and Zana's quantity and it yielded no results. I get a good amount of rares, but that's it.

Last few days I've been trying to roll magic maps with pack size or magic monsters, but results are the same - less rares, more xp, no maps.

I've once encountered a Cartographer's box and that propelled me to 74s, but the supply didn't last long. I've done a total of maybe 3 lvl 75 maps which, obviously, didn't help me much.

So, how do you roll your maps to reach those 76s / 77s ?
When I'm trying to progress through the map levels, I normally just do alch and go. If I have a lot more currency than maps I can do chisels, the occasional chaos and Vaal orbs. Normally alch and go is fine at least to 75.

Now I have stash tabs of 75+ maps and for 75 or less I just alt until I get something that doesn't slow me down. For 76 I alch and go, and for 77 or 78 I use chisels and sometimes Vaal or even chaos. However I also get a supply of 78 maps from doing Über Atziri.
Quantity is what matters most with maps. High magic/packsize is equivalent to around 30 according to largescale testing. Of course getting a map over 120% quantity doesn't mean you will get profit but on average it's always much better to go for high quantity.

I wouldn't call it based on luck too much. Haven't had trouble to maintain my maps at all since the big buffs to maps around December of last year. Just need to slowly build your base before going for the highest. The benefit of doing many lower maps(71-72) is that zana frequently appears and her maps can propel you to higher ones too.

When you have enough of those maps you stop alching. I currently alch only 74+. You also don't want to spend chaos on those lower maps at all. If it's unrunnable then skip it or vaal it. Maps are extremely cheap to buy if you need to do that(I haven't this league).
Last edited by kasub on Sep 25, 2014, 12:54:00 PM
That's exactly what I do - alch and go. If it's bad mods like Fracture or Blood Magic, I run my other maps and only return to Scour / Alch it once I run out of my other maps. I also used a fair amount of Chisels and Fragments for my 73/74 maps to no avail. I've just finished my last lvl 73 map - 70% quantity with increased rares and pack size - I got a lvl 68 and 71 map for my effort.
Be fast, run lots of maps. You will not sustain maps with a small pool. For example if I have 5x74s and i want to run 74s I know I need to go run a bunch of 73s, like 20. Alching works good but tends to slow me down with bad mods. I would rather alt for pack size/champs and chisel (depending on map lvl, pool count, available currency). Pack size in beyond league is double benefit since beyond mobs are spawning constantly. Mob count is the biggest contributer to map drops. That means either big packs or running lots of maps or both. And remember that the map system is designed as a currency sink in exchange for xp. You can of course make currency mapping but it is supposed to cost you currency. Don't be surprised when it does just that either by rolling maps or buying them.
If you do the two chaos recipe I find that the cost of maps is much lower than what you make(combined with all currency drops you keep getting).

I can give you some 73 to give you a small boost. Just PM me @Strawiy.
Last edited by kasub on Sep 25, 2014, 1:07:17 PM
Ok, I'll stick to current pool till I build a stronger pool of 73/74 maps.
"
BackwoodsS wrote:
Be fast, run lots of maps. You will not sustain maps with a small pool. For example if I have 5x74s and i want to run 74s I know I need to go run a bunch of 73s, like 20. Alching works good but tends to slow me down with bad mods. I would rather alt for pack size/champs and chisel (depending on map lvl, pool count, available currency). Pack size in beyond league is double benefit since beyond mobs are spawning constantly. Mob count is the biggest contributer to map drops. That means either big packs or running lots of maps or both. And remember that the map system is designed as a currency sink in exchange for xp. You can of course make currency mapping but it is supposed to cost you currency. Don't be surprised when it does just that either by rolling maps or buying them.

I concur with this. Do not run the next tier of maps until you have a good supply of them. The lower level maps, say 66 to 70, are quite plentiful, so run 70's until you have let's say around 8 71's and then continue upwards in the same manner.

I use whatever currency I have but I don't put chisels on maps lower than 77 because there is when you really need the chisels. Rolls I always keep are pack size, extra rogue exiles and twin bosses.

Also, if you have not thought about it; when you find strongboxes of any kind, make sure you use alt/aug on them until you get "guarded by 3 packs of magic monsters" or "guarded by 3 rare monsters".
"
kasub wrote:
Quantity is what matters most with maps. High magic/packsize is equivalent to around 30 according to largescale testing. Of course getting a map over 120% quantity doesn't mean you will get profit but on average it's always much better to go for high quantity.

I wouldn't call it based on luck too much. Haven't had trouble to maintain my maps at all since the big buffs to maps around December of last year. Just need to slowly build your base before going for the highest. The benefit of doing many lower maps(71-72) is that zana frequently appears and her maps can propel you to higher ones too.

When you have enough of those maps you stop alching. I currently alch only 74+. You also don't want to spend chaos on those lower maps at all. If it's unrunnable then skip it or vaal it. Maps are extremely cheap to buy if you need to do that(I haven't this league).

What large scale testing? I would love to see the numbers.
http://maps.skyl3lazer.com/1000-data-points-first-impressions/

This one compares packsize and quantity over 1000 map runs. Read under "the number of map drops". It gives the average increase of maps for each point of quantity and each point of magic enemies/packsize.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1l0ua3/i_ran_1000_maps_and_recorded_what_maps_dropped/

This is an older one with 1000 maps that was made before the big buff to map drops/map size.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info