2.3 Fakener (budget fake Mjölner) build - Trickster Version

Here's my stream: twitch.tv/Mathil1.
Feel free to go there and follow me if you'd like to know when I'm online as it will be the easiest place to get answers for questions related to builds and such.

What is Fakener?

Fakener was a build I created to mimic the effects of Mjolner when it was first released and was the craziest build around. Mjolners were very expensive and I had always wanted to use one but since I was poor, decided to try making a fake version instead with Cast on Crit Cyclone attached to Discharge. This is where the name Fake Mjolner (Fakener) came from.

Originally it was a life based build but has since taken on many different variations. Energy shield and Trickster is currently the most effective way of playing it and can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it.
Base required items to make a Fakener are:
- Vagan Dagger
- 5L Voll's Protector

Beyond those 2 items there are many options to choose from and depending on how much currency you invest will depend how strong your character becomes.

2.3 Ascendancy Update

With Ascendancies out and Energy Shield builds being absolute king right now Fakener has transitioned into a primarily Trickster based build. A lot of the other Ascendancies may still perform well enough but Trickster grants the easiest to build and smoothest character at the moment.

Benefits of Trickster include:
- Free Cyclone and Whirling Blade skill cost (Walk the Aether)
- A large amount of extra Energy Shield (250 max, 16% bonus)
- Attack and movement speed
- Bonus Evasion

2.3 Trickster CI Passive Tree Click Here

2.2 Trickster CI Perandus Character Gear:
Spoiler

2.2 Trickster Guide & Uber Kill

2.2 Final version of build and guide to perfecting your dps

Something else I ended up changing in the build was taking Blade Vortex out of my main Cast on Crit Cyclone setup to free up a gem slot for Increased Area or Conc Effect, depending on the situation. I then took the Blade Vortex and set it up in a separate 4 link setup wtih Spell Echo, Inc Duration and Reduced Mana to self cast with my remaining mana whenever I needed to increase my single target damage. This gave us an extra gem link for Discharge which is a very large damage increase and gave us the option of increasing single target damage on demand by taking a few seconds to cast Blade Vortex.

You can ofcourse still run Blade Vortex in your main setup if you'd just rather not deal with the whole self cast thing yourself.

No Voll's Devotion. Call of the Brotherhood budget version.

As of Ascendancies in 2.2 you can build your character to have no Voll's Devotion and rather use a Call of the Brotherhood ring to give you cold + lightning damage instead of lighting + fire. What this means is you will need some sort of fire damage somewhere on your gear (ring, amulet, weapon) to trigger Elemental Equilibrium from your cyclone and grant bonus damage to cold + lightning.

The purpose of this version is to avoid needing a 20 exalt neck. This version then allows you to freeze/shock most monsters and scale dps a little better with a rare amulet instead. See this 2.2 Trickster Guide & Uber Kill video for all the minor details of this version.

You will still be able to do everything in game with this build, the major difference being you won't get a much longer Immortal Call from Cast When Damage Taken because you're not generating Endurance Charges by having a Voll's Devotion.

2.1 Fakener Video guide and gameplay action. Watch this to answer hopefully all of your questions.

2.1 Talisman Gear:
Spoiler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS OUT OF DATE AND SIMPLY FOR OLDER REFERENCE PURPOSES/NOSTALGIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.3 Uber kill video, build still works great

Build for those that always wanted to use a Mjölner but couldn't afford.

The idea for the build is to be abusing Voll's Protector chest to get continuous Power Charges and using Cyclone + Cast on Crit + Discharge to proc them.

First Uber Atziri run and kill

Atziri/guide video

Ideal standard setup worth 100ex 78 Palace vid

Smashing 2x 78 Palace Dominus super fast (using 6L)

Smashing 2x 78 Palace Dominus, Extra life, no curse (using 5L)

Fracture Academy Map clear and some build discussion

Torment Gear 1.3
Spoiler

Rampage Gear
Spoiler

Flask setup
Spoiler

Surgeon's mod is amazing for the build so try your best to get it on at least your 2 resist flasks. You need a freeze dispel, a bleed remove and a curse immunity. I run 1 instant hp pot and 1 regen pot at all times.

Endgame Gear Setup (The ideal pieces/expensive shit)
Spoiler

Breakdown of gear choices:
Spoiler
Helm: I chose Rat's Nest because you utilize everything on it. High crit, attack speed, movement speed and good evasion. A starkonja is also useful if you'd rather life or a good evasion/acc/res/life rare will do just as well if you want more defenses.

Chest: Voll's Protector is the only chest you can use for this build. It provides you with a power charge on every single crit from cyclone, ice nova and discharge. Without it your power charge generation is severely hindered with something like power charge on crit support. A 4L works fine, 5L is pretty much all you need and a 6L will make you godtier.

Gloves: These for me, are a filler slot for some resists and life at the moment. If you can get your gear up to sufficient resists and you should be able to at the higher end of gear, then go for high attack speed (14-16), high accuracy (300+), a single resist and high life (70+). This will be your best pair of gloves imo. You can also opt for Maligaro if you feel you can afford to lose life/resists but I don't think it's worth it. Go for Acuity if you're a really big deal.

Boots: Max movement speed or atleast 25% is highly desired. Boots will be your main slot for resists so if you can get high tri res, life and movement speed boots you're pretty much set for most of your other slots.

Belt: Doryani Invitation lightning version is what I'm currently using. You get 1% lightning leech which works well for your discharge and a couple of resists. On top of that is lightning damage for your discharge. A high life, high resist belt can also be used if you have 1% leech on your weapon. Most of our sustain comes from popping health flasks rather than the leech, which is more just an added bonus.

Shield: Saffell's Frame is the shield of choice because without it reflect packs can start to be pretty dangerous at higher spell damage levels. I was very close to killing myself quite often before I put on Saffell's. You'll still need to topaz flask for reflect packs though so be careful.

Amulet: Int, high life, high accuracy and some crit are the ideal stats. I'd probably focus on those first 3 as most important though. You'll need int somewhere on your jewelry to make up enough for purity of lightning. Otherwise you probably have to waste 1 passive point on 30 int and noone wants to do that!

Rings: Diamond ring bases are best with high life, accuracy, resists, int if necessary.

Weapon: An Ambusher with high attack speed(1.8+) and high crit(8+) is what you're ideally looking for. Room to put on 1% lightning leech from Catarina is really good too. Spell damage is a huge bonus if you can afford it.

Gems and Gem setup:
Spoiler

Main setup:
4L: Cast on Critical Strikes + Cyclone + Blood Magic + Discharge.
5L: Cast on Critical Strikes + Cyclone + Blood Magic + Discharge + Ice nova or Lightning Pen.
6L: Cast on Critical Strikes + Cyclone + Blood Magic + Discharge + Ice Nova + Lightning Pen.

- If you can only use the 4L setup then make sure to have either cold or fire elemental damage on your rings/amulet/dagger so when you're cycloning you still trigger Elemental Equilibrium and reduce enemy lightning resists. When using a 5L use either Ice nova or lightning pen depending on what you feel works best. Ice nova helps trigger Elemental Equilibrium as well as providing good defensive bonuses and extra power charge generation. When using a 6L, use both Ice nova and Lightning pen and sub in Conc effect or Crit damage over Ice nova for bosses like Atziri.
- Quality is really good to have on both Discharge and Cyclone. The rest are not that important but nice to have.

Auras:
4L: Grace + Purity of Lightning + Purity of Fire + Reduced Mana.
- Grace and Purity of Lightning are must haves. They provide you with most of the builds defenses. Purity of Fire is something I added to help fill out my fire resist and max fire resist but it is an optional aura. You can choose to run purity of ice, elements or tempest shield.

Movement:
3L: Blood Magic + Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks
- The bulk of your movement will be done with a run speed flask and your own 2 feet. However the build has sufficient attack speed that whirling blades comes in handy quite often.
- Quality on both whirling blades and faster attacks will help you whirl/travel faster so get it when you can.

Cast When Damage Taken:
4L: Cast When Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration
- This setup doesn't help all that much because we're spinning and discharging most of the time, which often uses up your endurance charges before IC will. That said it still does proc both EC and IC at the same time to save you from melee damage sometimes. It is an important setup for things like Academy boss which will give you plenty of immunity time to burn him down.
- Quality is great to have on both Immortal Call and Increased Duration. Priority isn't especially high but ideally you'll get those with quality for longer immunity durations.

Curse:
2L: Blood Magic + Assassin's Mark or Elemental Weakness
- I personally use Assassin's Mark at the moment because it helps fill out my missing crit and grants additional critical damage as well. I think from a pure dps standpoint Ele weakness will probably do more. I have no math or information to back that up, it's just a hunch. I use Assassin's mark for a better feel though.

Vaal skill
2L: Vaal Haste + Increased Duration
- Vaal Haste gives a great boost during boss fights and even throughout map clearing. If you use it liberally enough you should be able to get 5-10 of em off during a map. I like to save it up for a boss fight and use it just before entering the battle. Helps proc many discharges and take bosses down easier. If you choose to use any other vaal skills like spark or whatever, it's up to you.

Offensive and Defensive Character Sheet Stats on Cyclone/Def
Spoiler

A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Last edited by Mathil on Jun 30, 2016, 3:31:46 AM
Last bumped on Sep 2, 2016, 9:58:58 PM
You dont want to use a mjölner, you use a mjölner because its op and ggg is bad at balancing
I'm a savage, I'm a king
I fought deceivers
I conquered evil
I'm hoping this one is different than mine :P
just go look up a cast on crit build
IGN:TankyAzzNinja 91 marauder
Video of the spec in action up in 2 hours.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Atziri/guide video is now up. Will update OP with more details when I wake up.
probably a dumb question - but which build gives you more fun - this or tornado?
English is not my native language, so forgive me for the mistakes pls
Looks like fun! I will give it a try! :D

Cheers!
"
Febers wrote:
probably a dumb question - but which build gives you more fun - this or tornado?

Tornado shot gave me quite a lot of enjoyment which lasted for a while. Got to 91, killed Atziri, Uber Atziri around 20-25 times and then I just got kind of bored of how... easy/good it was. It's pretty much the best spec in the game right now in my opinion and it's pretty safe being ranged too. Needed to try new things and I'm having a lot of fun on the new cyclone builds now too.

Which is more fun? They're probably giving me equal enjoyment but Tornado probably has an edge because it was my first Uber clearing char and that was new for me.
insane build bro !
ign: ALLRAUDER

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info