Feel sorry for the new generation of gamers...

Everyone is trying so hard to reinvent the wheel... That everything that comes to fruition is mediocre at best. I would have expected with such technological advancements that our imagination would be easier to manifest. Out of all the years of playing games I leaned their are three fundamental truths to making a successful game.

Choice
Simplicity
Identity

Highly believe those concepts give rise to other extremely important facets; passion and the motivation to continue. A strong foundation doesn't start with a degree (you be surprised majority of degrees individuals posses do not relate to this industry directly), but with a strong imagination. What good is knowledge when you can't imagine what to do with it.

"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
I miss better games. I don't need the latest rendering. I need storyline, character advancement and playability.

Too often now games cater to the PvP crowd and the core game has become a shell because of it.
I just hate MMOs. Only online games I have enjoyed are Guild Wars 1 and Path of Exile, because both can be played entirely solo.

Also if I do want to group, this game has the easiest grouping system ever. Just look at party list, click join, done. Amazing, I enjoy all the free maps groups, and it doesn't take 2 hours just to LFG and get a massive pointless raid done.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on Sep 24, 2014, 1:12:23 PM
"
Moonyu wrote:
I miss better games. I don't need the latest rendering. I need storyline, character advancement and playability.

Too often now games cater to the PvP crowd and the core game has become a shell because of it.

Yeah, totally true. No substance, just graphics and the oh so important pvp/multiplayer.

I gotta admit i was surpised at how good of a story the modern warfare games had, they were far from the mindless killing games i thought they would be considering i saw only the dumb COD kids stuff every now and then. Bioshock series was also great, less of a surprise at how good the plot was though.

I dont like games with the most "realistic" graphics, it makes the game not feel like a game anymore and it can in fact make it a tad too real. games should look and feel like games, not like a glimpse into reality from a different point of view. Thats why i love the 1 gender rule form older arpgs, D2 and D1 come to mind of course, where an amazon was female and a paladin male so was the ranger and warrior. Today everyone begs too much for gender options and selective physical feature changes to make the char more "unique", while all one has to do is get different looking armor.

I even like game types i never played before if the plot is good, XCOM for example is a turn based strategy game, is what its called. Its really great plot wise and feels really awesome to get into character.

I never understand gamers on "graphics not good enough" thing, i never saw the difference half the time and the other half i thought it looks too real. Gender options, well, in that other game, a barbarian being female and so is the crusader and monk? Not really buying it at all, should have been all male. The demon hunter and wizard should have been the female classes. Thats why i hope GGG will never go down that road of gender options even though everyone begged for it so much its practically guaranteed to come eventually.
"
Moonyu wrote:

Then you need The Witcher 2.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
I feel sorry for the old schoolers that hate on anything new or innovative because zomg new games and gamers are simpletons
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Old school huh? I embraced Deus Ex and Half-Life and F.E A.R. all excellent games that pushed the boundaries of gameplay, but stayed true to story and content.

Want PvP in a pretty new bow? Play just about every new game out there. Same ol' same ol'.

And rare is the sequel worth playing. Too many have abandoned the core game to introduce exciting flashy things that Detract from the core.

(Not all sequels! Some are better, but too few.)
Try Wasteland 2 Moon. Its delightfully hardcore, old-school and unforgiving. The Script is amongst the best I've seen.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I don't agree, we got some amazing games floating around. Also the concept listed by OP are not really lost, else we`d miss titles like Super Meat Boy.

Just a list of games I consider they fulfill the requirements of a good game and that I played alot: FTL, Audiosurf, Risen, Dark Souls, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, The Binding of Isaac (Rebirth HYPE!), Euro Truck Simulator 2, Banished, Trine, Cook Serve Delicious, Waking Mars and I could list more.

We are living in great times for gaming. Don't let your soup get spoiled by greedy cash-grabs and enjoy the numerous good games out there. Or short, avoid the thousand generic MMOs out there and don't be greedy yourself. The game 's free, the game will feel like it with only very few exceptions.
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
I don't agree, we got some amazing games floating around. Also the concept listed by OP are not really lost, else we`d miss titles like Super Meat Boy.

Just a list of games I consider they fulfill the requirements of a good game and that I played alot: FTL, Audiosurf, Risen, Dark Souls, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, The Binding of Isaac (Rebirth HYPE!), Euro Truck Simulator 2, Banished, Trine, Cook Serve Delicious, Waking Mars and I could list more.

We are living in great times for gaming. Don't let your soup get spoiled by greedy cash-grabs and enjoy the numerous good games out there. Or short, avoid the thousand generic MMOs out there and don't be greedy yourself. The game 's free, the game will feel like it with only very few exceptions.

God, I spent waaaaaaaay too much time on Papers Please. And Cook Serve Delicious. I still can't decide if this makes me easily amused, or if there really is a genius in those games hiding deep beneath the hyper clicky surface.
"Nothing happened." - CharanJaydemyr, TheWretch

Sayya's Item Filter (updated for Ritual!) - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1260712

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info