Fixing Max Resistance imbalance.

I don't like the max resistances mechanic.

I think the resistance on gear and passive, should give you resistance rating, and this rating would define your resistance mitigation based on a diminishing return curve from 0 to cap.

Where difficult normal/cruel/nightmare would just change the curve for an increasingly more demanding of rating at each difficult.

To counteract the fact that there is already gear and unique with the increase MAX RESIT. There should be a mechanic change, where every +1 max resist to elemental would be changed mechanically to +12 resistance rating.

Thus, gear with the already broken max resist, like the +5 max resist from legacy saffel, would become +60 all resist rating, would be good, but since there would be the diminishing return, the gain wouldn't be as broken as is now.
IGN: Pumar, Pumam , PumarR , PumaPunch , PumaWander , PumaCleave, PumaSlams
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Then instead of just getting the resistance you need, everyone will want all resists on all items because you can never have enough. I like knowing that I don't need Fire resists on a ring because I'm at my max from my other items.

Armour has diminishing returns like this. Has anybody ever said 'I have enough Armour'?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
Then instead of just getting the resistance you need, everyone will want all resists on all items because you can never have enough. I like knowing that I don't need Fire resists on a ring because I'm at my max from my other items.

Armour has diminishing returns like this. Has anybody ever said 'I have enough Armour'?

More importantly, has anyone really said 'damn that armor really saved me when nothing else would have done better' when we're talking some mobs that really hit damn hard.... or is it more stack stuff like IC, charges, block, artic armor, lightning coil?

All that will happen with resist rating is that it will do almost nothing to mitigate that damage anymore as elemental damage is skyhigh in this game... 30k for atziri flameblast and closer to 100k for uber's atziri's flameblast IIRC.
"
mark1030 wrote:

Which would be great because instead of capping out a resist and subsequently not needing it anymore, meaning that on all other gear pieces you've got one less desirable mods, you now face a slightly tougher challenge when deciding what gear to use.

Do you overstack the resist you're likely to reflect on yourself at the cost of others?
Do you overstack for example Lightning to counter Lightning Thorns?
Do you still take those unique items that don't provide any resists at all?
etc.

Armour is a much more interesting mechanic than resists. There's builds stacking it as high as they can, there's builds that don't use it at all, there's builds that only take a little bit from Granites and random gear, there's builds that have it fairly high but primarily rely on other defenses (block, pure life, endurance charges etc.) and many more variations.

When it comes to resists everyone caps it. End of story. There's essentially no variation or choice in the matter. Everyone caps their resists and there's only minor variance, even less with passive tree changes, in where those caps are.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
Also, balancing the game for unique items that give +Max resistance, diffcults balancing, and makes uber atziri have to do tons of damage, which whoever not doing purity auras or using saffel frame is done.
bump
I'm the opposite. Max res and res is one thing they got right. easy mitgation to calculate linear not diminishing returns.

Armor sucks though. How is it ppl can play with no armor while all must stack res? How is it a single chest, like lightning coil, is better than 20K armor?

Armor needs to do more and be more linear. Phys needs to hit harder too.

elemental in this gme hits for as high as 60K (uber flame blast)
phys is a paltry 6K for big hits and 9k on atziri vaals

Armor should be linear too, not have diminished returns and phys hit way harder.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 27, 2014, 6:35:28 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:

Yes, None is enough.

Ask LL shavers, Lightning coilers, MoMers, max blockers, CIs, etc
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 27, 2014, 6:38:49 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:

Yes, None is enough.

Ask LL shavers, Lightning coilers, MoMers, max blockers, CIs, etc
I meant Armour builds. Of course you don't need armour when you have an Evasion or ES based build.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
bump

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info