Petition to GGG: Overall Game Performance

If you agree with what is said in this post, please give a +1 or join in on the discussion. We need GGG to hear us.

Dear GGG,

As a long term follower of the game (got invited to closed beta in early 2012 and followed the game since 2011) I am very concerned about the health and future of Path of Exile.

Why?

Overall game performance.

With every patch/expansion, you have been adding content to the game that further stresses the core engine of the game. But the details of the 1.2.3 patch today are simply the icing on the cake, at least for me.

The new "beacons" touch upon the absolute two worst aspects of Path of Exile. De-synchronization and "on-the-fly" graphical loading. Adding these new "beacons" to the game is not only a blatant display of arrogance, but it is clearly a major gesture on your end to say "we don't care about your feedback".

De-synchronization, is hands down, the number one most absolute reason why Path of Exile is not more popular. And you respond to that by adding things to the game which only make it worse. Circles of death on the ground that require you to know exactly where your character is? Check. "On-the-fly" graphics that need to be loaded and cause client stuttering/freezing? Check. Clip-able objects that will hold your character in place without your knowledge? Check. I mean, I feel like you literally designed "beacons" to specifically use de-sync as a difficulty feature.

Here is my proposition:

I personally believe it is time for you, GGG, to re-optimize and re-design the engine and server logic for this game. The vision and direction of Path of Exile, at least to me, is fantastic. The problem is that as you further that vision and add more content, you only further break the old and very problematic engine this game runs on. With every patch, de-sync gets worse. With every patch, there are more graphics being loaded "on the fly" which cause massive frame drops and freezes. I experience these issues with a 4.2ghz overclocked CPU, a GTX770 graphics card, SSD, and 2100 mhz overclocked RAM. I can't even imagine what it's like on older/worse computers.

Please, please dedicate as many resources as you can to re-writing the server software and engine of the game. Dedicate a dev or two to implementing new micro transactions since that pays the bills...and take the rest of the team and start working on re-designing the game/engine. This is far more important than any new amount of content you can dream up...because any new content will further break the game.

Thank you for reading.

NOTE: This is not something that only affects hardcore players or only softcore players. This is something that affects what I will term, the "absentee" players. These are the "players" which are not playing the game because of the rapidly deteriorating performance.

Last edited by inDef on Sep 22, 2014, 4:22:51 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Baring the person before me who clearly has no ability to read, I do agree with your overall thoughts on the current problem. I dislike the inclusion of more area skills that involve you manually dodging, because desynch is an ever present problem.

With no way to combat this, it makes sudden deaths a problem. Likewise, GGG's typical skill design for anything that needs to be dodged by player skill generally are high to insta-shot damage levels. (hand of god, vaal smash, etc)
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
"
"
inDef wrote:
If you agree with what is said in this post, please give a +1 or join in on the discussion. We need GGG to hear us.

Dear GGG,

As a long term follower of the game (got invited to closed beta in early 2012 and followed the game since 2011) I am very concerned about the health and future of Path of Exile.

Why?

Overall game performance.

With every patch/expansion, you have been adding content to the game that further stresses the core engine of the game. But the details of the 1.2.3 patch today are simply the icing on the cake, at least for me.

The new "beacons" touch upon the absolute two worst aspects of Path of Exile. De-synchronization and "on-the-fly" graphical loading. Adding these new "beacons" to the game is not only a blatant display of arrogance, but it is clearly a major gesture on your end to say "we don't care about your feedback".

De-synchronization, is hands down, the number one most absolute reason why Path of Exile is not more popular. And you respond to that by adding things to the game which only make it worse. Circles of death on the ground that require you to know exactly where your character is? Check. "On-the-fly" graphics that need to be loaded and cause client stuttering/freezing? Check. Clip-able objects that will hold your character in place without your knowledge? Check. I mean, I feel like you literally designed "beacons" to specifically use de-sync as a difficulty feature.

Here is my proposition:

I personally believe it is time for you, GGG, to re-optimize and re-design the engine and server logic for this game. The vision and direction of Path of Exile, at least to me, is fantastic. The problem is that as you further that vision and add more content, you only further break the old and very problematic engine this game runs on. With every patch, de-sync gets worse. With every patch, there are more graphics being loaded "on the fly" which cause massive frame drops and freezes. I experience these issues with a 4.2ghz overclocked CPU, a GTX770 graphics card, SSD, and 2100 mhz overclocked RAM. I can't even imagine what it's like on older/worse computers.

Please, please dedicate as many resources as you can to re-writing the server software and engine of the game. Dedicate a dev or two to implementing new micro transactions since that pays the bills...and take the rest of the team and start working on re-designing the game/engine. This is far more important than any new amount of content you can dream up...because any new content will further break the game.

Thank you for reading.

NOTE: This is not something that only affects hardcore players or only softcore players. This is something that affects what I will term, the "absentee" players. These are the "players" which are not playing the game because of the rapidly deteriorating performance.

get a better PC and stop crying.

I'm bummed the first post is a troll who can't read.
Agree with op
Bayern des samma mia
Agreed.
    ☭ ᵀʰᵉ ᵍᵉᵐᵐᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶰᵗᵉᵉᶫ ᵃʳᵉ ᵃᶰ ᶦᶰᶠᵉˢᵗᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ⋅ ᵀʰᵉʸ ᵃʳᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵒᶰᵏᵉʸ ᴷᶦᶰᵍ'ˢ ᶠᶫᵉᵃˢ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵈʳᶦᶰᵏ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶫᶦᶠᵉᵇᶫᵒᵒᵈ⋅ ᶜʳᵘˢʰ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᶦᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ʷᵒʳᵏ⁻ᶠᵒʳᵍᵉᵈ ʰᵃᶰᵈˢ﹗  ☭
              ͏   ͏͏ ৹ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ⋅𝐆𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲⋅ಊ⋅𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐝⋅ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ৹
+1 absolutely.

I would be thrilled if they announced that they were stopping updates entirely to rewrite things.

No new content, no new mtxs, no new anything. Id even buy a "Stop fucking around and fix the game" supporter pack.
"just for try, for see and for know"
Last edited by jdilly23 on Sep 22, 2014, 5:20:47 PM
I definitely agree with this and see it as the top priority along with mitigating desync issues.

GGG has been open about their struggles with hiring someone new that can improve the games graphics and infrastructure. Hopefully they get someone soon..
Last edited by kasub on Sep 22, 2014, 5:22:05 PM
+1

I think that creating new content is more profitable for GGG than optimizing the game, thats why they push more and more "stuff" into the game without optimizing it properly. Sadly bad game optimization is gamebreaking.

Edit: I would be happy if GGG instead of making mini expansions completed ACT 4 and after that concentrated on game optimization.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Sep 22, 2014, 5:32:09 PM
+1
+1
Game performance > new content

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info