Unlock my account

Hello GGG,

everyday i have to unlock my account because the game mentions that "i am logging in from another location". But thats not true...

What can i do to stop this?

Greets
Well, it's doing this because your outward facing IP address is changing. You can ask your ISP why this is happening, and if they can give you a static IP instead, or you can try Steam's less restrictive geolocation authentication.
Last edited by ionface on Sep 20, 2014, 6:54:01 AM
In Germany it's normal that you get a new IP-Adress every day!
"
frky wrote:
In Germany it's normal that you get a new IP-Adress every day!

And that is why it thinks your "location" has changed.

IP Addresses are "virtual" addresses.. that means that they aren't tied to a fixed point on the earth like a building or house would be. IP Addresses can move around more freely, and are constantly being bought and sold to other people in other locations.

Because GGG wants good security for Path of Exile to prevent account theft, they use a "geolocation" service which attempts to look up where your IP is "registered" to. These are often outdated or inaccurate, but they do provide enough information to know that your "area" has changed.

To see what I mean, go to http://www.geoiptool.com/ and write down the IP address, Country, Region, and City information. Then the next time PoE asks you to enter the unlock code, go back to that site and look. For sure your IP would have changed, but my guess is that the City and/or Region has also likely changed.

The security is there for your protection to make sure that only authorized people with access to your email are able to log into your account. Before this system was in place, it caused a lot of people to get their accounts stolen because all it required was knowing your email address and password for the game. A lot of malware was targeting PoE accounts, and a lot of accounts were stolen. This system was put in to combat that problem and pretty much stopped the wide-spread account theft overnight.

So while I understand it is annoying to enter the codes all the time, it is there to make sure your account stays yours. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have to enter an unlock code daily than log in to find my account stripped.

Also, I'm not sure what the system they use in Germany is, but do you shut down your modem/router overnight? If so, that would likely be why you get a new IP. Every time you "disconnect" from the network, it will assign you a new external address when you reconnect. If you are able to leave yourself/network connected, you shouldn't get a new address that often. Worth a try.

Good luck.
Hello,

yeah i know. In Germany the IP-Adresse is partly fixed to your region. For example 111.222.333.444. You always get 111.222. and the last 6 digits varies when you connect to the internet. So when your provider disconnects you every 24 h you get a new address. Is there a chance that i disable this security check from poe? There must be a another option to protect your account. For example checken you system-info at every start and when something changed that you have to enter the e-mail code. I think this would be safe too and wont be anoying like the other way.

Greets
Last edited by frky on Sep 21, 2014, 3:41:56 AM
There is no other system in PoE right now. The only options are to keep it like it is, use Steam (which is less strict), or disable it completely, opening yourself up to possible account theft.

You can email support about your possible options. Their email address is in the Contact Support link at the top of the page.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info