Spell Block Vs Block (77+Maps, Atziri, Uber Atziri)

Original question:
Spoiler

Spell block is easy to attain the cap of 75% due to Saffell's Frame, Rainbow strides and Stone of Lazhwar.

To achieve maximum block:
Average shield block chance: 26%-30%
Additional block chance required: 75-(26-30) = 45 - 49% (Many nodes on passive tree)

To achieve maximum spell block: (Assuming have 120%Saffell's Frame
, Stone of Lazhwar, Rainbowboots)
Assuming block chance: 26%
Spell Block Chance (With 0 Attack block chance) required: 75%/(1.2+0.5+0.25) = 38.5% = 39%
Additional block chance required: 39 - 26 = 13% (Easily taken in most passive trees, do not have to go out of the way to get these nodes)

So my question is, for highlevel mapping (77+, Atziri and Uber Atziri), it is acceptable to use pure spell block? Or is normal block very essential for survival? (I have 10k life so what currently kills me is 78Palace Dom's touch of god and occasionally desync in 77+maps with hard mods)

Note: I have never tried Uber Atziri before. From my experience, normal Atziri requires spellblock and block at different stages. Assuming we take that out from the picture, how important is spell block vs block in normal 77+maps. I understand that both spell block and block are important, but I need to know how important are they, assuming I can only have either spell block or block.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Quick Compilation of responses-

Types of attacks+More essential type of block (77-78/Atziri):
Atziri: spear attack + flame blast + lightning calls (Spell Block)
Note: Uber Atziri spear attack can be quick and fast (Block + Spell Block req)

Atziri trio: A'alai rain of quills is spell, everything else in that room uses attacks (Block)

Atziri Vaal: smash is attack, everything else is spell (Up to player)

Dominus: smash is attack, 2nd form uses attacks, ghosts are spell ofc (Up to player)

Courtyard: spark spells, everything else attacks (Block)

Shrine: storm herald spell, lightning ball spell, discharge spell, melee attack, ranged ice shot attackl (Spell Block)

Warmonger: firestorm spell, and some other attacks (Up to player)

Credits: @Ceryneian @l33tsmurf

Last edited by fuzzybearz on Sep 20, 2014, 11:58:34 AM
not everyone plays standard bro.
"

Yea. I know that,just asking for help if they do have any experience. Do not have to be standard to give me some advice.
"
fuzzybearz wrote:
"

Yea. I know that,just asking for help if they do have any experience. Do not have to be standard to give me some advice.

if you are just talking about uber atiziri (not the trio),

its important to have a deep amount of dps, something in the realm of puncture or low life st. so you can gun her down quickly to avoid having to fight her for too long making mistakes more likely

have spell acro and high hp and +maxresist from purity in case of a mistake and you get hit if your block/spelldodge fails.

i think it would be better if you talk about your build a little too. and why are u tanking dom with a saffell, it doesnt work.
One important thing to consider.
Do you have 80%+ phys resist? Most of skills do phys damage and will hurt a lot without block, possibly 1-shooting.
Do you have 84%+ elemental resist? Some spells can stun-lock and 1-shot.
How high is your chaos res? Direct chaos damage can be blocked.
It is not required to use both +spell block shield and spell block amulet.
1. There is a passive in witch area that gives +10% spell block.
2. There are shields with 120% spell block and 34% base block.
3. There is the anvil necklace.
4. Resists are easy to cap, so spell damage will not hurt that much, while getting a cap on phys def is much harder.
5. There are unique claws that give +10% block each, and are not hard to find.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ixthUA
Last edited by ixthUA on Sep 20, 2014, 8:10:14 AM
You should just max the spellblock if you have any other decent physical mitigation. My CoC character has Level 19 AA and
, and that's enough to deal with any physical threats. However tough elemental bosses like Mageara(sp?) and Piety will be incredibly difficult if you don't go all out on your spell defense. For example, even though I have lvl 19 AA and 79 fire resist, Mageara's firestorm still does huge chunks of damage to me. Phys also especially shouldn't be too bad if you actually have a 10k life pool.

TL;DR: Spellblock.

I don't know anything about gearing for Atziri, this is my advice for high maps.
Last edited by Weslie on Sep 20, 2014, 8:31:38 AM
Thank you for all your responses :)

My plan for 77/78+ Maps (Except Palace Dominus Fight)

Life: 10k

Physical Dmg: Armour as main source of mitigation (About 8k armour without flask and 25k with) + 4 Endurance charges

Spell Dmg: Spell Block + High Resistance

Question:
A) For Atziri, there are 3 main parts: Double Vaals, Trio, Atziri. Anyone knows, for each stage, which type of block (Attack block/Spell block) is more useful?

B) Palace Dominus, which block is more essential? Normal block for his lightning touch of god? or Spell block for his lightning stream? (Yes, both is the best. But if I have to choose one?)

C) How high is the highest single hit of physical dmg and from which monster? Uber Atziri Trio Crit? Assuming no damage mitigation from armour, since to negate a single high physical damage attack, armour has to be super high due to the armour mechanism.
Last edited by fuzzybearz on Sep 20, 2014, 8:58:11 AM
Block is far better for normal enemies, spellblock is better for elemental bosses.
Standard and legacy / mirrored / jsp'd / rmt'd gear

yuck

Wow really? Guy asks legit question and people get all hostile.

OP I have tried this before on my build, it is simply not worth it unless you are facing a PURE spell boss i.e. Maegara or Temple Piety. For 77+ maps all the bosses use attacks + spells, so using Saffell's Frame does not work well UNLESS you are already building armor/Immortal Call because you WILL get hit a lot with 0% block. So the tradeoff to getting more efficient spell block and more max res is not worth it when you consider how much more damage you will take from attacks.

So unless you are building ways to mitigate the damage (armor, immortal call etc), it does not work well at all:

Atziri: spear attack + flame blast + lightning calls
Atziri trio: A'alai rain of quills is spell, everything else in that room uses attacks
Atziri Vaal: smash is attack, everything else is spell
Dominus: smash is attack, 2nd form uses attacks, ghosts are spell ofc
Courtyard: spark spells, everything else attacks
Shrine: storm herald spell, lightning ball spell, discharge spell, melee attack, ranged ice shot attackl
Warmonger: firestorm spell, and some other attacks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info