Mistakenly deleted account (Help, please.)

Hello! I mistakenly deleted my level 86 rampage account. I must have done so by mis-clicking the "Delete" button, rather than the play button. I have invested many hours, and much faith into this account. I would be very happy if there was a way to, say, restore the account. I hope to realize Path of Exile has invested in a way to keep the accounts back logged(or whatever term would be used.), as I see others have had this problem as well. It's name was "SwagUp", and I can provide whatever information need be about the character. I would appreciate a response as soon as someone has the time.

Regards,

jeff
Hey there,

It's not possible to delete your own account. Are you able to let us know a couple of your character names? I will then be able to look into this further for you.
Thank you for responding so rapidly! However, I deleted a character on my account. I did not mean to say my entire account. The name of the character was "SwagUp".
Thanks for that. I'm sorry to say that deleted characters are unable to be restored. The reason for this is that when they are deleted they are permanently removed from our database. We are working on a new system that will allow us to restore characters but unfortunately this has not yet been implemented.
That's quite the bummer considering all of the time and currency put into an account. Several days, weeks maybe. Especially when you've worked so hard for the currency you've achieved, and invested it into the character you play. Gone just like that, is pretty shocking. I think I'll be taking a long term break from PoE on that note. Surprising the system hasn't been implemented.

Regards

jeff
I would like to make a suggestion. With coder's of the stature that you have, I would suggest a "Deleted Character" section of the "Character Screen". Where-as every character has a league, and where they sit, there ought to be a section for "Deleted". I know many people who've encountered this problem, some years ago. And it is surprising to know after all of this time, there is not a more proficient system. A simple "Deleted" underneath the character would be beneficial, so later on if they truly wish to delete the character, they can have the option to do so by a "Permanently Delete" option. A mere -Delete- -okay- , is much to easy to be-rid of month's of work. I would seriously consider looking into a more proficient system, it would keep the small percentage of players that make mistakes like mine happy, and at ease.
While I understand your frustration, it's not easy to "accidentally" delete a character. If a character was "accidentally" deleted, it was out of negligence. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't finish their "soft delete" system... but they have what they have. Deleted characters are not a priority right now.

There are also other ways to implement a "soft delete". The issue they have is not with what you've outlined, but the ACTUAL technical details of how to do that.

Keep in mind that they use a database system, and likely issue a DELETE command to the rows associated with a character and all the foreign keys from that character (like items, etc). That is why the characters are unrecoverable. Once they have been DELETED from the database, they cannot be restored without restoring a backup of the database and then re-importing the data (they aren't going to do that for a single character on a single account).

What they are "working" on is the "soft delete" which is adding a new bit field to the database tables for "isDeleted" and then they can instead use an UPDATE command and set isDeleted = true/1 to mark a character and item as "deleted". This allows them to "restore" a character by simply changing the isDeleted back to false/0.

It sounds simple on paper, but in practice it takes much more effort and work than that as it is a schema change to the database. This requires various other things to get working properly (updating stored procs, indexes, etc) which requires the DB likely be in a "maintenance mode" so that people aren't writing to the table while it is locked making changes (multiple tables).

So I'm sure they already have an idea of what the system would be... they just need the time and resources to actually make it happen (and a DBA/DEV with the bandwidth).
I would have to respectfully disagree. I'll share my story with you as to how I managed to delete the character. It started off like this, I was attempting Atziri for the 5th time, and I failed once again. So I thought to myself something along the lines of "Well, I'll try again in a bit." So, I logged out, seconds later, I decided to try again. I searched for my character, and clicked on him. My room mate Eric shouted at me, " Hey, Jeff! Come give me a hand with this box!" Turning back to respond, I must have hit the delete button by mistake. With my back turned, and about to stand up, he said "Nevermind, I think I can get it." So I quickly turned back to my monitor and milliseconds later he said while laughing, " Nevermind, come help me out!" So I obliviously clicked the "Delete" button, as to it being normally where the "Okay" button is. I went and helped him with the box, and came back to my computer in a completely different mood, so I exited PoE, and went to play League of Legends. I logged back into Path of Exile after the match, and found my character to be deleted. I didn't think much of it, because I figured GGG would have a system, however they do not! To avoid future problems with other people, as I can guarantee it will never again happen with me. I PERSONALLY believe, like every other MMORPG, they ought to have some sort of system by now. My friend that I still play with had a similar encounter a year and a half ago, so it surprises me the system is not yet released.

Thank you, my opinion will remain unswayed.

jeff

PS: I am aware of my negligence. However, it's hard for me to believe the extent of how my "Delete" happened isn't a mere mistake. Such a minor mistake shouldn't have such heavy-instant consequences. Mistakes happen, and a system should have been developed now. Thank you for reading.
If you managed to delete a character that way, then you are SERIOUSLY unlucky... since in order to delete a character you have to move your mouse AND click multiple buttons just in the right place. First you have to click the character (which might already be selected, so I'll give you that one). Then you have to click the "Delete" button (which again, I guess I can give you based on coincidence that your mouse just happened to "land" in that area).

After clicking that "Delete" button, a confirmation window comes up and asks if you're REALLY sure you want to delete the character. The "YES" button is not in the same location as your mouse was to hit the "Delete" button... so that would have required quite the coincidence that your mouse happened to move its way to the "yes" button in order to finalize the delete.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but the chances of that are super slim if you're paying attention at all.

Sorry you deleted your character. Not really GGG's problem.

Good luck with the next one.
It's pretty easy to accidentally click okay when you are distracted like that to be fair. extremely unlucky, though I spent a good 10 minutes laughing at him when he told me on skype.

P.S. Yes I know I'm a dick for laughing, but he deleted my 5l lightning coil he was borrowing xD

edit: Also I don't believe they should recover deleted characters. Though I think a system where it saves your last deleted character would be somewhat simple and extremely effective.

"
Drakier wrote:
After clicking that "Delete" button, a confirmation window comes up and asks if you're REALLY sure you want to delete the character. The "YES" button is not in the same location as your mouse was to hit the "Delete" button... so that would have required quite the coincidence that your mouse happened to move its way to the "yes" button in order to finalize the delete.

The issue isn't his mouse happened to be in that spot each time. He accidentally clicked delete(it happens they are close to each other) and then while distracted he clicked yes thinking he was saying yes to close Path of Exile cause he was going to go help his roommate.
Last edited by Dradar on Sep 18, 2014, 9:53:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info