New annoying trade practice (semi-scam)

Someone claimed that we have the law to deal with ppl like this in the real world.

If I went into a store and said to a clerk "Can I buy this clearly listed as $1 pack of gum for $0.50". I would not be called a scammer. I would be treated like I was stupid and told a correct price that I could buy the item at. No one would call the police, or even take me seriously. The clerk would not even go home to his family and say "Wow, listen to this story. I almost got scammed today"!
Last edited by ntall1 on Sep 18, 2014, 11:51:59 AM
Apparently OP has bad writing skills and which led to misconception and heavily edited his OP to save some face.
Why are so many people having trouble comprehending what the OP stated and jumping all over his nuts about it?

Nowhere in his post did he complain about the bartering/haggling process, he complained of the "slimy" tactic of outright lying about the buyout price and using that as the price-haggling point. I was going to bring the up item price sticker analogy but it looks like Shagsbeard already covered that.

It IS on the seller to be cognizant of his own buyout prices and it is their fault if they get duped, but that doesn't change that LYING about the buyout price is a shitty thing to do.
:D
"
"
LostForm wrote:
theoretical interaction:

me: open poe.xyz, search for item, see 5 for 5c, see sellers for 8c, with 'is online' tag

me: in game, whisper online_seller, 5c for item

op: 'why you try to trick me, you are morally bankrupt'

lol wut?

herp derp that is not what happened...

Try this instead;

You: Open poe.xyz, search for item X with a b/o of 10c
You: In game, whisper the seller "Hey I would like to buy out your item X for the listed b/o of 5c.
Seller: That item doesn't have a b/o of 5c...

Can I make it any more simple for you people?

lol wut? Right back at you buddy.

oh, so adding b/o to my message, the buy out listed for all the items except yours, that would make my communication morally bankrupt? lol, some people...
Hey...is this thing on?
"
LostForm wrote:
"
"
LostForm wrote:
theoretical interaction:

me: open poe.xyz, search for item, see 5 for 5c, see sellers for 8c, with 'is online' tag

me: in game, whisper online_seller, 5c for item

op: 'why you try to trick me, you are morally bankrupt'

lol wut?

herp derp that is not what happened...

Try this instead;

You: Open poe.xyz, search for item X with a b/o of 10c
You: In game, whisper the seller "Hey I would like to buy out your item X for the listed b/o of 5c.
Seller: That item doesn't have a b/o of 5c...

Can I make it any more simple for you people?

lol wut? Right back at you buddy.

oh, so adding b/o to my message, the buy out listed for all the items except yours, that would make my communication morally bankrupt? lol, some people...

You are being ignorant, willfully or otherwise.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
lol at all these responses supporting deceptive scammers.

This is the exact reason I've always been paranoid of the scandalous-- I'll always search my b/o if I have any doubt.

OP is definitely right to be concerned and noble to warn others, its no surprise everyone jumps on the hate train because that's how it always goes in most game communities/forums ..If you are a 'random' (someone that doesn't play forums all day)and post something controversial--you will always hit by the hate train.

Last edited by neonive on Sep 18, 2014, 8:28:37 PM
it is even nuttier that their offers were fair by your own words, you call them scammers and make a thread about it. Hey, not my missed opportunity to sell, just clarifying that the offers were fair but not worded right for your taste,m which is fine, just sort of amusing to me.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Sep 18, 2014, 12:09:30 PM
Just because many people here are jumping on OP about this, I'll (somewhat) come to his aid as well.

I agree that it's a scam for the reason that when they're saying "I want your item that was listed for X buy out", they're falsifying information here in attempt to get the item at a lower price.

They're not even making an offer, and act as if they're inquiring on an item while quoting the buyout that you've given it. It's swindling in the very sense of the word.

That being said, it's damn crafty and good on the smartasses if they get away with it because if I was actually worried about the item that much I would know how much I want to sell it for.

Last edited by Hypomaniac on Sep 18, 2014, 12:10:05 PM
"
Halezor wrote:
Socially inept, or shrewd business people? There are no moral obligations, if the law is being observed, in a free capitalist market.

Not a tactic I use, I just negotiate or pay B/O, but if you can create an edge within the rules many traders will do so happily.

Capitalism = I can get ahead, at your expense.

It's hard to have unregulated capitalism when everyone is anonymous and free to act like a jerk with little or no repercussions. In a polite society, people don't take advantage of others, and when they are discovered to have done so purposefully, are usually reprimanded or ostracized from future trade. Men used to have their word, and a handshake to seal a deal, but there's no such contract in PoE. You can't even hunt down and annihilate someone who has wronged you in-game, while it seems perfectly natural to do so in this forsaken continent.
It's not really a scam and I do it all the time.

If somebody has an item listed at 10c and I say "wtb your 'x' for 8c", that's what I want to pay for it and I'm simply expressing this to the seller. If they want to sell at that price, then so be it, they will. If they don't, then they don't. It's really hard for me to comprehend that anybody could think this as a 'scam'.

Maybe it's the specific phrasing that is confusing you????, but I guess the equivalent and slightly less specific way to say it is "I see your item is listed at a b/o of 8c, but I'd rather pay a lower value at 6c. What do you think chap?" Obviously nobody is going to say this though.

I do think it's a scam when people pretend they don't see a buyout however. But I'm truly dumbfounded anybody could see this as a scam.

EDIT: Maybe you THINK it's a scam because the person isn't TELLING you that they are paying at a lower price than the listed buyout. But as the seller, it's your responsibility to ensure that you know the prices of your own items you are selling. It's not the responsibility of a buyer to inform you of your own current buyout and that they want to pay less than it. Really, expecting a buyer to have to do that is kind of ridiculous.
Last edited by UniqueFarm3 on Sep 18, 2014, 12:16:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info