New annoying trade practice (semi-scam)

let's take a look at the simplest definition of a word "scam" in Meriam-Webster's dictionary
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam):

1. "a dishonest way to make money by deceiving people"
2. "to deceive and take money from (someone)"
3. "to get (something, such as money) by deceiving someone"

so, in the light of the above, the activity describied in the OP, is clearly a form of scam, since the so called buyer intends to obtain something by deceiving the seller.

doesn't matter if it is easily verifiable by the seller what b/o price a particular item has been listed under in his shop, the fact remains that the buyer tries to deceive the seller by providing him with false information about his item's price in hopes that the seller does not remember it or is either too lazy to check the actual b/o for himself or is so naive as to trust a stranger that what is being told to him is true.

of course, this form of scam is rather a minor form of deceit, isn't also illegal and thus bannable, but is still rather not very ethical thing to do.

also, contrary to what some people say here, trying to dismiss this shady activity as irrelevant or defending it as a form of "outplaying", it is a good and useful thing that this thread has been intiatated and the attention has been given to yet another form of scam/deceit/rip-off - or however you want to call it.

many forms of scamming in PoE wouldn't have taken place if the game had some form of in-built trading tool. it's only a fault or lack of resources on the developer's part that such activities are still happening and hopefully this situation will change in the future, as has been promised by developers, once the safe trading system is finally implemented.
"How come only evil forces were released?" - "Because there are no good forces."
"So, then. You don't believe that there is a God." - "There was a god."
"Well, then. Where is he now?" - "I killed him," said Kane.
That depends how long that item has been in the shop. Items that have been in the shop for many months have outdated b/o since the economy in the game changes a lot in a daily basis, so for the most part, those items are overpriced like hell.

Of course, it is wrong to an extent (not a bannable offense still) to trick the seller, but if the seller falls for it, they are are to blamed as well for their own ignorance. The blame should never be shifted on one side, but on all sides.

On top of that, most players are in BIN (buy it now) mode, so what may seem to be offer to you, may be a b/o from the buyer side. The negotiation at that point is almost broken. You either get desperate and buy it overpriced, or you let the item rot away while the seller is still getting no profit. This only applies to a certain amount of items, not all of them.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 19, 2014, 1:47:40 PM
It's incredible how people are having such a hard time understanding the concept of this thread...

People that use these kinds of deceptive tactics are very likely to be untrustworthy crooks in real life and probably don't deserve to have any contact with other people. It's really pathetic how most of the poe players I see online have no common decency.

I see a lot of people in this thread are like this as well...
Last edited by Emil_kof on Sep 19, 2014, 5:20:14 PM
"
Emil_kof wrote:
It's incredible how people are having such a hard time understanding the concept of this thread...

People that use these kinds of deceptive tactics are very likely to be untrustworthy crooks in real life and probably don't deserve to have any contact with other people. It's really pathetic how most of the poe players I see online have no common decency.

Tell that to the Politicians.

For the most part, when you are behind the monitor, you can get away with a lot of things without facing any repercussions. Of course, there is a limit to that, but the limit is much higher than that of real life. Try the same BS in a video game with real life, and you will not last long.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

wow, dont care.
    ☭ ᵀʰᵉ ᵍᵉᵐᵐᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶰᵗᵉᵉᶫ ᵃʳᵉ ᵃᶰ ᶦᶰᶠᵉˢᵗᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ⋅ ᵀʰᵉʸ ᵃʳᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵒᶰᵏᵉʸ ᴷᶦᶰᵍ'ˢ ᶠᶫᵉᵃˢ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵈʳᶦᶰᵏ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶫᶦᶠᵉᵇᶫᵒᵒᵈ⋅ ᶜʳᵘˢʰ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᶦᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ʷᵒʳᵏ⁻ᶠᵒʳᵍᵉᵈ ʰᵃᶰᵈˢ﹗  ☭
              ͏   ͏͏ ৹ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ⋅𝐆𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲⋅ಊ⋅𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐝⋅ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ৹
People who are scumbags in game tend to be the same in real life.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
That's not a scam? Just say no, kids.

VI
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Emil_kof wrote:

Tell that to the Politicians.

For the most part, when you are behind the monitor, you can get away with a lot of things without facing any repercussions. Of course, there is a limit to that, but the limit is much higher than that of real life. Try the same BS in a video game with real life, and you will not last long.

That would imply the majority of people are sociopaths. Which, would match up with the studies all claiming that millennials are the most narcissistic generation to date.

Threat of repercussions is not the force that should be keeping people in line, and it certainly isn't for any decent person.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
Halezor wrote:

Capitalism = I can get ahead, at your expense.

lol'd

where did you get that definition from, the communist manifesto?
This is why I always have Procurement open while I play :) No big deal.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info