New annoying trade practice (semi-scam)

I've now had 2 people whisper me asking to buyout an item with a lower buyout price than I have listed. Now I don't mind negotiating, that is all part of the trade game, but these fuckers are purposely trying to trick sellers into thinking they are offering b/o.

What these people are trying to do is the equivalent of someone walking into a shop with a price sticker gun and labeling a product at a discount and then going to the owner and asking to buy the product at the "listed" price.

What the hell is so hard with making a legitimate offer? Why would someone think it is a good idea seeing if sellers don't remember their own buyouts?

I would have taken both the offers but because they tried to use deception I promptly ignored them after confirming what they had tried to do.

Basically I am wondering wtf is wrong with so many people? It is like the majority of people on the internet were raised by wolves on some far off mountainside. How can so many people be so socially inept ;(

EDIT: Added second paragraph for clarity.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Last edited by Fluffy_Puppies on Sep 18, 2014, 11:30:40 AM
Socially inept, or shrewd business people? There are no moral obligations, if the law is being observed, in a free capitalist market.

Not a tactic I use, I just negotiate or pay B/O, but if you can create an edge within the rules many traders will do so happily.

Capitalism = I can get ahead, at your expense.
I don't understand how this is a semi-scam. If you ask for 10c and they come back at 5c or 8c, you have the right to say no. That's all. I always want to buy items at a lower price. I don't always ask the seller, especially if I know it's already a good price. But whats wrong with negotiating? I would rather spend 5c than 10c. It doesn't hurt to ask. You can always say no.

EDIT: I just reread your post. Are you saying that you list an item at 10c and they come back and say something like this "I'll take your b/o at 5c"? If that's what you mean, yes that's a little slimy.
Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!
Last edited by Dacar92 on Sep 18, 2014, 10:04:00 AM
"
Halezor wrote:
Socially inept, or shrewd business people? There are no moral obligations, if the law is being observed, in a free capitalist market.

Not a tactic I use, I just negotiate or pay B/O, but if you can create an edge within the rules many traders will do so happily.

Capitalism = I can get ahead, at your expense.

Does it get them ahead if they are being placed on ignore? I doubt that "tactic" works on any big ticket item.
2 players is hardly a majority..
Whatever happened to just saying no?
OP must have set an unreasonable price and when pp gives him offer WHY U LOW BALL ON ME
Hold on a minute. I read your OP a few times. Let me get this straight..are you actually saying the following?

-I have a b/o's set on my items. I don't know or remember what they are. I now feel like I'm getting scammed for not knowing what my own prices are as offers come in.

This has to be a joke. If I'm misunderstanding please correct me.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Hold on a minute. I read your OP a few times. Let me get this straight..are you actually saying the following?

-I have a b/o's set on my items. I don't know or remember what they are. I now feel like I'm getting scammed for not knowing what my own prices are as offers come in.

I think he is saying that he sets a price of 10c in chat. buyer contacts him saying "I'll take that b/o of 5c." Hoping that the seller quickly sells without thinking.

Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I do remember the buyouts...hence I ignore them after I confirm that they are misquoting the b/o on purpose...

The joke is your reading comprehension.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info