Most Efficient Way to Roll High Maps Solo Play

Hey guys,

I have done a fair amount of searching and cannot seem to find any up to date resources concerning the most efficient way to roll high level maps (74+)

I have already read through http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/339977 and while this resource has a lot of very useful information about difficulty, bosses and the layout of each map, it does not talk too much about the best way to go about spending currency on your maps.

Furthermore, I know that over the past year or two, the developers have changed/added numerous things which have made it easier to obtain maps. For instance, all maps inherently have maze/area larger, they added strongboxes, increased drop rates of maps, and added Zana.

I see some streamers now just rolling 74-78 maps blue with pack size/magic monsters without even chiselling and just running those. I remember back before 78 maps came out my group and I would not have dreamed of doing that. 77 maps used to go for 4ex each so dumping another 5-10 chaos + chisels in was a drop in the bucket.

TLDR: For solo play, is it efficient/feasible to roll 74+ maps blue with no chisels and still maintain a high map pool? If not, how have you guys been rolling your high maps? How much currency are you usually putting in per map? Are any of you just alching maps and running whatever you get whether there is pack size/magic monsters or not?
IGN: _Treble || Path__Finder || Richest_Mule_NA || PM me if I am offline
My Items Shop:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/268002
Last edited by Slisk on Sep 17, 2014, 6:52:21 PM
It's a bitch to maintain a map pool and survive, meaning
its hard to level up solo mapping. To maintain the map pool
requires such high quant that its dangerous to run it esp solo.

I have been messing around with a meta of once leveled up,
running brutal quant maps, alching everyting 70+ (alchs are
cheap... Alchs. Are. Cheap. )

reroll "impossible" modded maps that are more valuable with chaos.
you can occasionally just vendor 3 rare maps including 1 or 2 that
are too hard, get a unid next level map... run it unid ><

something around 72? chisel and chaos a few of them into very high
quant. 70 to 100 depending on if you have pack mods / blue/rare or not.

die while farming for a while. on the off chance you make it to 10 or 20%
of a bar run your "easiest" rare maps. once those are out if you survived
run easy blue maps if you have enough.

consider buying maps for leveling up if you are impatient. dont waste your
time farming maps if you farm more currency than maps... buy some maps to
level up.. run them white if you have to. you wont get any gains to pool.

brutal quantity maps can gain you a pool. its harder solo cause of the
inherent quantity added by more people. the upper limit shows up
earlier...
Last edited by AgnosiousD on Sep 17, 2014, 7:05:09 PM
I am not really having a problem surviving. I can do pretty much all map mods except if I get crazy combinations like -max res/reflect or half regen/reflect. but 90% of stuff I can do without dying. I am just wondering if I am spending more currency than I have to.

Chadderino is the #1 on the rampage ladder right now and he has solo'd all the way to 99.
My Items Shop:
Go for the highest possible map quantity (100+) you can, all other mods are mostly irrelevant though pack size is nice.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
if you want to maintain 74 maps in solo play you should invest a few chaos per
map.

alch em all, reroll the worst. chisel a whack of them beforehand.
might only cost you a chaos on average... lucky alchs.

collect hammers, vendor 20% hammers and low maps for chisels,
buy chisels.. use unwanted atziri shards.

I personnaly tried this time to level my Beyond character without partying in maps and without buying maps (i.e. stop playing it if I run out of hl maps). I reached level 88 so far with a Rampage break for the streak challenge. I'm not swimming in maps but leveling is still pretty smooth, never had to go back to 69's or whatever. I just roll my maps blue. The daily Zana quests + Zana encounters in maps really make mapping way easier now.
IGN : @Morgoth
Sub 74 get nothing. 74 & 75 get an alc. 76 get two or full chis. 77 get full chis. 78 get two or full chis (Courtyard gets 4, Palace 2 or even none, depends on mood, cause its a garbage map)

Go for inhabitation mod (magic > pack > rares > exiles) with some decent Q, 50 - 80. 100+Q maps sound amazing, but they are not, just a PITA.

I'm a cheapskate, I use maybe 1 chaos per high map on average. I grinded my own pool, havent bought a single one.

Spoiler

Always, always roll +3 magic pack on boxes in high maps. It's the #1 mod you should got after (unless you are rolling a carto or jeweler, or you got singularity or unity mod)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Sep 17, 2014, 7:25:09 PM
"
morbo wrote:
Sub 74 get nothing. 74 & 75 get an alc. 76 get two or full chis. 77 get full chis. 78 get two or full chis (Courtyard gets 4, Palace 2 or even none, depends on mood, cause its a garbage map)

Go for inhabitation mod (magic > pack > rares > exiles) with some decent Q, 50 - 80. 100+Q maps sound amazing, but they are not, just a PITA.

I'm a cheapskate, I use maybe 1 chaos per high map on average. I grinded my own pool, havent bought a single one.

Spoiler

Always, always roll +3 magic pack on boxes in high maps. It's the #1 mod you should got after (unless you are rolling a carto or jeweler, or you got singularity or unity mod)

Thanks a lot morbo this is just what I needed. If anyone else has some input for me on this please feel free to contribute
My Items Shop:
Lol I'm crawling in it 77s 78s etc and I'm fucking pure solo right here, The only reason I will party if it's a friend or a Zana other then that Solo4life

Is it easy maintain? Yes if your smart about aka Chisels on lets say 75+ Does it take luck and a lot of time? Of course it does I play probably more then anyone on this site.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I do OK with a strategy of alch-n-go.

Am i constantly in 75+ maps?

No, but it seems to be able to maintain at about 73-74, with occasional drops to 72 to replenish.

In think zanas little quant bonus is making it noticably easier, btw

B.
The Preceding message contains discretion.
Viewer nudity is advised.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info