[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
sligh16 wrote:
It looks like a great addition. I'm planning on adapting my tree for the jewel, since the Templar jewel spot gives it 14% block chance. That's a lot of free nodes that can be used as life instead. Definitely worth the price.

With respect, there are serious problems with this jewel. Not only does it cost 5 skill points to get the socket, but the nodes you wouldn't skill, such as faith and steel also grant a lot of armour and/or es depending on your shield choice with the 110% increased shield defenses, so if you want to break even, you'd need armour and/or es nodes which do cost skill points. Not to mention losing crit like heartseeker and/or fatal blade would basically cripple the build, so you'd be over there anyway, might as well get the block for a couple skill points, you get lots of damage and defenses along with it. Now, skipping solidity might not be a big deal, but you'd be there anyway for born to fight, heart of the warrior, golems blood, and warrior's blood, which are pretty much not skippable, so the block costs two skill points assuming you get diamond skin there anyway. Just an example.

Yeah, im not as sure as I was about this anymore. To make it work you skip going to the ranger side of the tree, so you lose a decent amount of crit and attack speed. I've specialized in maces so taking the mace nodes on the templar side might offset the damage output, but im not sure. With maces you lose like 18% attack speed and a lot of crit that can't be made up on the templar side of the tree, but you gain like 40%-50% physical damage. You also gain a lot of life as well. I've also managed to kill the hydra and chimera without to much trouble with the current build, so not sure its worth it atm.

Last edited by jackal917 on Mar 22, 2017, 9:03:49 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
CelticHound wrote:
I was starting to gather some budget end-game gear, when a Varunastra dropped. I'm not sure if it's as good as a Scaeva, but I wanted to use it and make the most of it. So I've delayed taking the Disemboweling critical nodes and taken the Deadly Dilettante cluster first.

Varunastra is OK but unless you got a really good roll the PDPS is about the same as a Scaeva and the crit perks are definitely not there/worse so I wouldn't personally choose a Varunastra. The only advantage is that you can use any damage nodes and there may be some slightly more efficient choices, but probably not by much and I don't think that deadly dilettante would be one of them. The build is pretty optimized as presented, especially with the buffed sword cluster if you want to commit to swords.

It began that since this rare item dropped, I wanted to use it out of novelty. But I think it may be better.

At my current level, taking the Deadly Dilettante cluster, I give up Retribution, Amplify and Berserking:

+10 Strength
+10 Intelligence
23% increased attack speed
14% increased melee damage
14% increased spell damage
18% increased area of effect for area skills
20% increased area damage

but I gain (because Varunastra is a claw and a dagger and a sword):

+10 Dexterity
24% attack speed
108% increased physical damage
75% increased critical strike chance

I entered both builds with my current equipment into Path of Building.
(My gems have just been getting to level 19 with no quality.)

At 6 stacks of Blade Flurry with Hatred, Herald of Ash, Flame Golem, Blood Rage and Tempest Shield active, Path of Building calculates

Scaeva:
Skill DPS: 28790.4
Crit chance: 19.34%
Crit mult: 2.25

Varunastra:
Skill DPS: 34985.4
Crit chance: 16.00%
Crit mult: 2.25

And I think I got pretty lucky with the rolls on the Varunastra, but the Scaeva is a good one, too:

Running heists fully zoomed in... because
Last edited by CelticHound on Mar 28, 2017, 4:54:08 AM
Is this Shaper viable? I played an srs spectra summoner to end game and kept dying in Lair a lot, although the rest of the maps till T14 were incredibly easy. My end goal is to kill Shaper without constantly dying in the red maps.
Hi Sovyn,

thanks for your answers, I never thought about running two Atziri flasks for chaos based bosses, very good suggestion.

I am improving and am already more successful than I have been last season. I have completed the Dominus map with onslaught and eight mods (dying twice, but mostly to my mistakes), Torture chamber map and have killed normal Atziri several times. Yay!

Thanks for your thoughts about the legacy Bringer of Rain. If prices drop, I will buy one.

Quick question at the end: I switched to Stone of Lazhwar and it worked wonders. I have now switched all my jewels from attack blocking jewels to spell blocking jewels. But with Tempest Shield running I am technically at more than 75 percent attack block. I tried to free a skill point or two, but I don't find a way. Is there a possibility?

cheers,

Tefson

"
CelticHound wrote:
At my current level, taking the Deadly Dilettante cluster, I give up Retribution, Amplify ....

I would try to get amplify soon, losing area means lower clear speed regardless of dps figure.
"
Is this Shaper viable? I played an srs spectra summoner to end game and kept dying in Lair a lot, although the rest of the maps till T14 were incredibly easy. My end goal is to kill Shaper without constantly dying in the red maps.

I know a lot of builds struggle with the encounters leading up to shaper.... that is mostly because of player experience I feel, but once you get the encounters down, and know how they work mechanically, you can beat it with most builds. This one is very tanky and amazing for a budget, you do need to watch out for one-shots though. The guardians should be no big deal, at least once learned.
"
Tefson1366 wrote:
Quick question at the end: I switched to Stone of Lazhwar and it worked wonders. I have now switched all my jewels from attack blocking jewels to spell blocking jewels. But with Tempest Shield running I am technically at more than 75 percent attack block. I tried to free a skill point or two, but I don't find a way. Is there a possibility?

Solidity and shield block node before that would be the weakest block nodes.
Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your great guide that inspired me to make my character which is a slight variation of yours. We talked a posts earlier about changing the tree if you go for gladiator and I just wanted to come back to you and get some additional input on how to improve my build further.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQCAAHcBIcEsQSzBS0GiwkzCiYLYQz3Dc0UIBUgGbQaPhutHM4g4yFgI_YoKimlK1Atgy_MMk41kjrhPAU8LT3iQKBHfkjuTUZNklBHXzlfP1_aYuxlTWebaPJvO3KpdO108XfjeK55OXloeu97FHzZfXV-4oNfg8yE2YTvivCLT4zPj5mS95d5my2iAKOKplepbqmVrK-uPq9sr6ewq7Gztz69Nr6nwBrAZsC_wQTBgsQVxILE9sau0TbTfti92sHiLORR6UbvDu9673zwH_Iv8kX2SPaj9zL4Av4K_lT-ug==

this is my current talent tree which always slightly adapt based on my needs (+15 all resi is needed atm for me since my gear lacks some resistances)

maybe you could help me how I should progress. I can relativly easy farm t6 maps with my current dmg. the tooltip says 1900 dmg (with conc effect its 3.2k).

I use the following items:

so, how should I continue from here on? are 5.3k life ok with this setup or should I go for more live. I play HC so I value defence slightly higher than offense.

I´m not 100% sure how I can continue to improve my dmg and also at the same time get more health.

if you have any hints or tips for me let me know.
actually I just wanted to thank you for the guide. I haven´t had a 80+ character in hardcore because I either always died or lost interesst in the character but this one is really fun
and there are so many things to do.

"
Mephos wrote:

if you have any hints or tips for me let me know.
actually I just wanted to thank you for the guide. I haven´t had a 80+ character in hardcore because I either always died or lost interesst in the character but this one is really fun
and there are so many things to do.

You could try a meginord's girdle for more life and damage.

Since you are a gladiator, it makes sense to get resolute technique as inquisitor is a big reason to get some crit, but since you can't crit at all, it does limit your damage potential a lot. The upside to low damage is you probably won't ever die to reflect, even if your reaction time and attention is not perfect.

You could go into 'brutal blade', 'by the blade', and 'blood in the eyes' instead of 'violent retaliation', after beating uber izaro (practice on standard league first, please).

Or, switch to a varunastra which would be a pretty good fit since you can't crit anyway, and get the 'deadly dilettant'e and 'by the blade' nodes for some double dipping.

There are lots of ways to get more life/survivability or damage, but some do cost. There are tradeoffs too, like belly of the beast, you lose the damage conversion but you get more life and less strain on the rest of you gear for the lightning resist. The alpha's has no life on it, but you would lose some armour and the aura benefits in order to replace that. It's just what you are comfortable with. You can see my gear choices on the first page. Obviously the amulet and boots and weapon and rings would be different for you, but other than that the recommendations stand. I can imagine how expensive a surrender must be on hardcore but it would fit well.
I have been trying to follow this build to a T. wish there was a green yellow orange red flow chart for the skills that you put in... that would have helped a ton. but my problem is that i dont have near the damage or block as you. i was hoping maybe you could take a look at my build/gear and tell me whats so screwed up.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ph4rcyde

~thank you

Nuts
Last edited by ph4rcyde on Mar 31, 2017, 10:01:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info