[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
ZeeKuri wrote:
This is just the type of build I was looking for, thanks!

Glad you found it useful, ZeeKuri. Let me know here if you have any questions.
I hit level 90! Finally max block (with Tempest Shield). For the final jewel slot, I found a jewel with 1% block and 14% increased crit chance for elemental skills, which seems to work with Static Strike because my tooltip DPS went up after equipping.

Still leveling my 20% quality gems. Nothing is beyond level 17 yet.

On another note, I tried the level 76 Residence Dominus after dinging (I like to try bosses I think will be hard right after dinging so I don't lose a lot of XP), and I died several times. Do people really do this boss as melee, or do they just skip it? It seems as if it was mainly luck whether or not I could avoid the big melee hit, since I couldn't get out in time if I was in the middle of multistriking, and if so, it would just be a roll to see whether I block it or die. Also, whenever I would go in, it would seem as if I'd either get marked or he'd start shooting his stream of lightning-looking things. It seems as if it would be pretty easy as ranged, but not worth doing as melee. Am I wrong? There was freezing ground, so that may have increased the frustration.

I think I'll try the 76 Malformation Piety next - the one with the rotating beam of fire.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
I hit level 90!

On another note, I tried the level 76 Residence Dominus after dinging (I like to try bosses I think will be hard right after dinging so I don't lose a lot of XP), and I died several times. Do people really do this boss as melee, or do they just skip it? It seems as if it was mainly luck whether or not I could avoid the big melee hit, since I couldn't get out in time if I was in the middle of multistriking, and if so, it would just be a roll to see whether I block it or die. Also, whenever I would go in, it would seem as if I'd either get marked or he'd start shooting his stream of lightning-looking things. It seems as if it would be pretty easy as ranged, but not worth doing as melee. Am I wrong? There was freezing ground, so that may have increased the frustration.

Grats on 90! I can do Res Dom just fine but yes it is a little hard. I can do it if I avoid the exploding monsters when I'm marked. I have no trouble using my movement skill to move out of range of the fist of god slam attack. Most people skip him no matter what build they are using as obviously the risk vs. reward proposal is a no brainer here. Those that are brave and try it (with any build) usually don't last as long as I do on him and I'll end up soloing it. Of course the groups I play in are just average players. I think the map mods make a big difference on him. Best avoided with any serious mods as with most of the top bosses. Unless you don't care about dying or have a bigger budget for gear. This is intended to be a less than 10 ex build on standard at least, and most ranged builds while yes they are a lot easier to play take several times that amount of investment to get beyond the super squishy stage.
Last edited by Sovyn on Oct 10, 2015, 12:15:07 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Kamina100 wrote:
I hit level 90!

Grats on 90! I can do Res Dom just fine but yes it is a little hard. I can do it if I avoid the exploding monsters when I'm marked. I have no trouble using my movement skill to move out of range of the fist of god slam attack. Most people skip him no matter what build they are using as obviously the risk vs. reward proposal is a no brainer here. Those that are brave and try it (with any build) usually don't last as long as I do on him and I'll end up soloing it. Of course the groups I play in are just average players. I think the map mods make a big difference on him. Best avoided with any serious mods as with most of the top bosses. Unless you don't care about dying or have a bigger budget for gear. This is intended to be a less than 10 ex build on standard at least, and most ranged builds while yes they are a lot easier to play take several times that amount of investment to get beyond the super squishy stage.

Thanks! Do you get out when he gives the verbal cue that he's about to hit? ("A Touch of God!" and I think there's an alternate thing he sometimes says) Or are you able to see him raising his arm and start getting out before he even speaks?
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Thanks! Do you get out when he gives the verbal cue that he's about to hit? ("A Touch of God!" and I think there's an alternate thing he sometimes says) Or are you able to see him raising his arm and start getting out before he even speaks?

I watch for him winding up his fist, it seems to be easy for me to spot. Maybe just from a fair amount of practice with the act 3 version. I play with the audio off anyway.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Kamina100 wrote:

I watch for him winding up his fist, it seems to be easy for me to spot. Maybe just from a fair amount of practice with the act 3 version. I play with the audio off anyway.

I think the visual cue might happen before the sound cue, so maybe that's why you're able to get out in time. But I'm very bad at seeing those visual cues. I think the "extra gore" from my Belly of the Beast doesn't help either. Oh well, guess I'll skip that boss for the most part.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
I think the visual cue might happen before the sound cue, so maybe that's why you're able to get out in time. But I'm very bad at seeing those visual cues. I think the "extra gore" from my Belly of the Beast doesn't help either. Oh well, guess I'll skip that boss for the most part.

You could practice with A3 cruel Dominus, no risk there and his animations are the same. That's what I'd do. But yeah, harder map bosses are generally not worth farming, just do 'em once to say you did it really.
*deleted*
Last edited by Praise_Kuduku on Apr 19, 2023, 5:57:18 PM
"
This build is working very nicely for me so far. Level 82 in the 1 month event, self-found. Good guide, would recommend it.

Sovyn, I also want to thank you for your wonderful guide on the wiki for getting PoE to work with PlayonLinux

Thanks for the compliments, Kanagagota! Glad both guides were useful for you. I think you are the first person to mention using both my Linux guide and the lazy pally together (other than me of course!)
Sovyn...What can I say. You have outdone yourself once more.

I have already written about this build in this thread before (2 years ago) and it still works as good as ever! If not even better, especially dps wise.

I basically just wanted to share my experience with this build and hopefully share the rest of the community another point of view on this build.

I changed a few things in order to get the build more tanky, rather than dpsish for those of us who enjoy the feel of a heavy and sturdy tank.

Skills are in my gear list:

Spoiler

It works ridiculously good, BoR is just fantastic with this build (been experimenting with 6l but in the end switched back to BoR since it is so useful for tankiness.

Stats:

Lvl: 79
3850HP
75% phys block
60% spell block
10000 armour (end charges and chaos golem up 70-75% reduction)
max resists
200+ hp/second regen
Roughly 35k DPS buffed up which is plenty

Jewels:
1% phys block
cca 10% phys dmg

1% phys block
0.24% life leech

1% spell bloc
15% phys dmg by holding a shield

1% spell block
7% to maximum HP

Note: All of the jewels were bought as blue and than regal-ed to the current stats. I must say that the 7% HP stat was apparently extremely lucky.

My gear is not exactly "beginner" friendly yet I would say that its much easier to obtain BoR (even legacy) rather then a full blown 6l chest.

Hope it helped for those of you, who want a proper tank :)

Thanks for the awesome build Sovyn :)
Last edited by Sparkl on Oct 15, 2015, 7:02:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info