[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
andrew8448 wrote:
How would you go about upgrading my gloves? Belt would probably require a Rustic Sash with armor at the very least. I am a very bad shopper/trader, haha!
I have a tri-res with no life mod gloves on another char. Gonna craft hp on it but then I lose the attack speed/mana leech needed. Life is tough in the trading scene atm.

And yeah, the main reason I want a sword is to use Whirling Blades. Really good for dodging boss smashes. Probably better than Shield Charge.
Have you put any consideration into Flame Dash? It may be useful/faster for jumping over ledges on certain maps. Haven't personally tried it yet but wondering if you have and if so, any thoughts/opinions?

On gloves it depends if you need all of those resists or not. Mana leech... you can get it on jewels or use Poacher's Mark instead of ele weakness. The usual recommendation on gloves for most people would be something like 200 armour, 10% attack speed, 4-6 physical damage, 80 life and one resist. Obviously you will run into trade-offs here.

On the belt I think it is a little bit easier to upgrade to a rustic with a good strength roll and good life roll should get you in the ballpark of the life on your current belt. Make sure to get one with an open prefix for elemental damage. Armour or chaos resist a plus.

I did try flame dash briefly but I'll have to take another look at some point. I think when I tried it I probably discarded it because of the 3 sec cooldown after 3 uses and the 0.75 sec cast time. I often need to repeat the movement skill more than 3 times.

Yes, whirling blades is far superior to shield charge.
Hey thanks for being so cool and answering all these questions, is there a reason why you didn't pick up diamond skin? I'm pretty tempted to grab it since it's right there.
I'm almost done gearing my Templar for this build.
I do have a great Doryani's Catalyst but I also have the mirrored dagger Loath Bane.

Do you think the dps is high enough to compensate for the lost of the +100% elemental damage and all the easy nodes to get that boost maces?

Thanks for your advices
"
Pascoflyer wrote:
Hey thanks for being so cool and answering all these questions, is there a reason why you didn't pick up diamond skin? I'm pretty tempted to grab it since it's right there.

Welcome, Pascoflyer. Didn't need it, I have more than enough elemental resist. We already take 40 to all elemental resists which is more than 99% of builds take but if you want Diamond Skin too, feel free, it's not a waste of 1 point if you need it.
"
Gorrath wrote:
I'm almost done gearing my Templar for this build.
I do have a great Doryani's Catalyst but I also have the mirrored dagger Loath Bane.

Do you think the dps is high enough to compensate for the lost of the +100% elemental damage and all the easy nodes to get that boost maces?

Thanks for your advices

Yes Loath Bane is better than Doryani's. You can grab Strong Arm for sure and maybe Deadly Dilettante, something like this.
Hi Sovyn,

really an epic build - thanks for that.

never mind
Is there a reason not to use Physical to Lightning instead of Added Fire? It's more dps and less mana multiplier, at least on my setup. The only thing i came up with was reflect or mobs resistant to elemental damage. What are your thoughts on that?

Happy blockin',

Xoow

edit: After thinking "a little bit" harder, i answered my own question. Due to not doing any physical damage, i won't leech mana. DOH!
Last edited by Xoow on Aug 3, 2015, 6:38:48 AM
Thanks for the build! I'm currently leveling a Scion in Tempest with this build and having a good time!

I have a question though, are there any specific changes you would make to the tree for hardcore leagues? I'm not very experienced with block builds but at a glance there seems to be a lot fewer life nodes taken than in most hardcore builds. Do all the block nodes make up for this, or would you recommend trying to pick up some more life nodes? Are there any specific times where having a smaller life pool is a major problem or any times it can lead to 1 shots if you can't/fail to block?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I had a look but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!
Sad to say, on HC my game screen completely froze for a minute in battle, I got disconnected and on reconnect my HC character had died. Not sure if my game has ever frozen like that before. Was playing level 31 in a monster level 26 zone. The build is good, and it was rare for health to decrease more than 10%.

Luckily, I am playing with self found gear and lost nothing to my HC stash, or is that unlucky because the unique items I had found weren't applicable to the character?? Will restart sometime soon. Thanks again.
"
Xoow wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

edit: After thinking "a little bit" harder, i answered my own question. Due to not doing any physical damage, i won't leech mana. DOH!

Hi Xoow :) Glad you like the build.

You could use warlord's mark as it leeches from all damage sources but you would probably have to manually cast it to ensure that the uptime is right from the start. Of course there are curse immune situations in which case you would have to switch to a blood magic support on your attack which would be lower DPS than the default setup because you lose an additional DPS support gem to accommodate that. Also with warlord's mark you lose things that other curses can provide (more damage from elemental weakness or more defense from enfeeble). Just some thoughts.
"
Tinalin wrote:
Thanks for the build! I'm currently leveling a Scion in Tempest with this build and having a good time!

I have a question though, are there any specific changes you would make to the tree for hardcore leagues? I'm not very experienced with block builds but at a glance there seems to be a lot fewer life nodes taken than in most hardcore builds. Do all the block nodes make up for this, or would you recommend trying to pick up some more life nodes? Are there any specific times where having a smaller life pool is a major problem or any times it can lead to 1 shots if you can't/fail to block?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I had a look but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!

Hi Tinalin :) Glad my build has inspired you.

You could take more life but you would have to exchange damage or block for it. Block and armour, we are pretty strong in both, are alternatives to the basic life nodes build almost all of the time. You can avoid situations where there are potential one-shots, for example:

- Do not open ice nova strong boxes;

- Do not open chaos clouds strong boxes unless you have chaos resists over 0 in maps (atziri's promise helps here);

- Do not open corpse explosion strong boxes without having first cleared all corpses in the area with devouring totem. After opening box, lead all monsters far away to kill them;

- Do not allow yourself to be near a 'Volatile' Nemesis rare when it dies, especially in negative resistances maps;

- Do not attempt Storm Herald Nemesis rare in negative resistances map without both max spell block and level 20 Purity of Lightning aura;

- Do not stand in the AoE of Flame Bearer Bloodlines monsters;

- Do not attempt rogue exile Igna Phoenix in negative resistances maps;

- Do not attempt rogue exile Magnus Stonethorn in any situation. Never allow yourself to stand within his flameblast;

- Do not attempt rogue exile Minara Anemina without first equipping a true single-target skill like heavy strike and removing multistrike, target the rogue only, never the minions;

- Do not attempt any new (to you) map bosses or the optional final boss in Merciless without having first practiced extensively in standard league and honed your skills to a certain degree of confidence. All bosses can be defeated with observance of their mechanics and properly gearing for the encounter. However, many bosses are best skipped in hardcore if you do not wish to risk your character. The risk vs. reward is just not worth it.

Bear in mind I see people die to these things all the time with all kinds of builds so these are just some of the things to watch for in general in Path of Exile.

Higher life won't save you from any of the above.

Higher life may give you an additional half second to hit an instant life flask in some very rare situations where there are a number of small hits or a DoT (damage over time effect). That's it. I personally never die except to the above listed mistakes where there is no time to flask anyway.

My list may not be complete, that's all I recall off the top.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info