[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hey Sovyn,

I have returned to the game about a week ago and am still playing this build. My question is this though; I've never used Shield Charge to move or for anything at all. So I was thinking of swapping it with Desecrate+Added Chaos Damage for more DPS. Any thoughts?

P.S. I am running with full mana reserved (Hatred+HoA+AA) so all skills are supported with Blood Magic. I've tried having 25% mana free but 0.4% mana leech couldn't sustain perma-right click ice crash. This is with 12.5k DPS btw.
IGN: Altorparia
Timezone: GMT +3
After taking a few weeks off, I played a lot today and got from 84 to 86. I also got some nice RNG - I decided on an impulse to roll Fusings on Belly of the Beast, and I actually got the 5-link after only 30 or so, which is quite a discount compared to the Vorici recipe I had been considering. Also, I have enough resists on my other gear to actually use it, which is nice. So I've bumped my life up over 4,700.

Ice Crash looks really cool with the "extra gore" mod, so I was trying it out some more, but still wasn't really satisfied. I'm running 0.8% mana leech (could go up to 1.2% if I crafted my gloves, but my gloves aren't that good so it's not really worth it). I tested it on Merciless Daresso. With a 5-link including Faster Attacks I was really running out of mana too fast. By switching Faster Attacks to Added Fire Damage it was better, although the Mana was still running dry occasionally while holding down the attack button vs. Daresso, and he also died noticeably slower than he did with Static Strike + Multistrike. Static Strike, in contrast, not only killed him faster but never even came close to emptying the mana. So it seems as if Static Strike is just a lot better, unfortunately. Note that I have level 19 Static Strike but only level 17 Ice Crash (however, I don't think that would make up the difference). Neither skill has any quality on it - I'm not sure whether Ice Crash has a more beneficial quality bonus than Static Strike.

In other news, I have successfully rolled four 1% shield block jewels (I stubbornly kept rolling for them instead of buying them, and eventually got 4 of them made). I've only unlocked 1 jewel socket in the passive tree though (I've been trying to finish up the crit nodes first, because I was impatient and wanted to use my Romira's Banquet). But I'll get that sorted by level 90. Also, they all have a secondary roll which is at least somewhat useful, which is nice.

The other thing that happened was I found this and at first thought I had struck gold...

But I'm told it's not that great because the +2 socket level isn't that useful in a 3-socket item, and it doesn't have certain important mods. I had visions of getting rich and buying good rings or something, haha.

In any event, things have shaped up somewhat. I need to up the dps - I guess I need to look at rings, damage on gloves, and maybe a better elemental roll on belt for that. And I'm looking forward to hitting level 20 on key skills so that I can do the Gemcutter's recipe on them and start re-leveling them. That won't be for a while though.
Last edited by Kamina100 on Jul 30, 2015, 8:48:11 AM
Oh hey, guess what - I just went in to Merciless Malachai for first time and 1-shot it with no deaths, solo. I'd say that makes your build a resounding success. I'm the guy who gets hit by everything and stands in the fire...I'm not what you'd call a good player, but that's supposed to be a hard fight, and I didn't die. So...nice build!
Last edited by Kamina100 on Jul 30, 2015, 11:09:00 AM
"
aefoa wrote:
Hello dear Sovyn and the followers!
I am now lvl 80 and due to enormous lack of DPS i lvled all the crit passives before moving skill points to gain max block.
As of now i have all the gear that guide says is best except of Doryani's Catalyst (i have 260 pDPS rare Sceptre). My crit chance with 3 power charges is 28,5% and multiplier is 234%, chance to hit 86% and with Q17% Ice Crash i have 13k dps. With resolute technique DPS was 12k. And the question is - what the hell? :D How come DPS has not been raised significantly - the only way to get good, at least 20k dps, is to use Doryani's Catalyst? I can't imagine getting 20k dps with this build, how come Sovyn has ~50k?
Thank you in advance.

Oh yeah, here's my tree .....

Hi aefoa :)

You are missing Precision yet, that's a good node.

But checking your characters I actually don't see one that's following my build exactly. :) Hmm!

No Romira's... that's required before going crit...

No physical damage on gloves or one ring or belt...

To equal the DPS of Doryani's you would need a 370 pdps rare and even then probably not.

Doryani's has higher crit plus the global crit plus the elemental damage mod.

I know since you are on a new hardcore league most folks won't have risked farming Atziri yet so the prices are probably higher than usual.

13K is not too bad though for what you can actually do at your level probably clearing Harvest and 70-72 maps or something, you can clear that stuff relatively efficiently with less tooltip dps than that. If you want better clearing times try static with multi or cyclone with blood magic or reave with a different weapon. Ice crash is not very good to be honest.

Don't forget to get an Atziri's Promise and use it often.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Hi aefoa :)

No Romira's... that's required before going crit...

Thanks for the reply!
Those stats i mentioned were with Romira's ring, how would i get power charges? :)
And yeah,forgot about Precision, but that's the only offencive passive skill i am missing. Anyway - 13k dps with 86% accuracy, 28.5% crit chance and 248% crit multiplier is very low so i respected back to resolute technique and got some flat mace dmg.

I will return to this build after i can afford Doryani's wich costs 10 ex on Tempest league D:
"
Altorparia wrote:
Hey Sovyn,

I have returned to the game about a week ago and am still playing this build. My question is this though; I've never used Shield Charge to move or for anything at all. So I was thinking of swapping it with Desecrate+Added Chaos Damage for more DPS. Any thoughts?

P.S. I am running with full mana reserved (Hatred+HoA+AA) so all skills are supported with Blood Magic. I've tried having 25% mana free but 0.4% mana leech couldn't sustain perma-right click ice crash. This is with 12.5k DPS btw.

Welcome back!

Ice crash is harder to sustain on mana than static strike + multi. This is because you get 3 hits for the price of one with a skill that works with multi. So you would get a lot more damage from static without blood magic requirement due to the extra dps support gem plus the added explosions.

You'd need to boost your mana leech to around 0.8 or use Warload's Mark (for RT) or Poacher's Mark (for high level crit build). Might work with ice crash too if you wanted to try that.

You will need a movement skill to keep up in groups. I don't think the little chaos damage you suggest is worth the trouble of casting it but try it and see.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 30, 2015, 5:44:44 PM
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Ice Crash looks really cool with the "extra gore" mod, so I was trying it out some more, but still wasn't really satisfied. I'm running 0.8% mana leech (could go up to 1.2% if I crafted my gloves, but my gloves aren't that good so it's not really worth it). I tested it on Merciless Daresso. With a 5-link including Faster Attacks I was really running out of mana too fast. By switching Faster Attacks to Added Fire Damage it was better, although the Mana was still running dry occasionally while holding down the attack button vs. Daresso, and he also died noticeably slower than he did with Static Strike + Multistrike. Static Strike, in contrast, not only killed him faster but never even came close to emptying the mana. So it seems as if Static Strike is just a lot better, unfortunately. Note that I have level 19 Static Strike but only level 17 Ice Crash (however, I don't think that would make up the difference). Neither skill has any quality on it - I'm not sure whether Ice Crash has a more beneficial quality bonus than Static Strike.

Yeah that's what I've been saying lately. I should probably edit the guide to discourage use of ice crash after people get multistrike. Static is just flat out better, no way around it.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Oh hey, guess what - I just went in to Merciless Malachai for first time and 1-shot it with no deaths, solo. I'd say that makes your build a resounding success. I'm the guy who gets hit by everything and stands in the fire...I'm not what you'd call a good player, but that's supposed to be a hard fight, and I didn't die. So...nice build!

I've been having 100% deathless success with him after just a little practice as well. I haven't been back in a while though, I don't need more stash clutter :) Good job by the way.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Ok i have fixed the CWDT linked gems, i overlooked that. As for the ring well i'm running out of mana, but i feel i only need a minor fix for that. I do want to get more chaos resist and a nice diamond ring when i spec into the crit nod in the talent tree.

The "minor fix" is poacher's mark instead of elemental weakness. That's what I used in my static strike act 4 video before I hauled out another mana leech ring from my stash, so you can see it in action there.

Thank you so much for helping me find a better weapon! omg 13k dps to 19k dps, i cant wait for my internet to get fixed Saturday so i can push harder content!
"
aefoa wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
Those stats i mentioned were with Romira's ring, how would i get power charges? :)
And yeah,forgot about Precision, but that's the only offencive passive skill i am missing. Anyway - 13k dps with 86% accuracy, 28.5% crit chance and 248% crit multiplier is very low so i respected back to resolute technique and got some flat mace dmg.

I will return to this build after i can afford Doryani's wich costs 10 ex on Tempest league D:

So you are saying that you can't clear content with 13K? That's strange, it should work well enough. But yeah, any of the very best gear will always be a bit expensive on brand new leagues.

Also you should try static + multi, ice crash is just terrible. For example my last test with ice crash I tried merciless Maligaro and he drove me out of the room, whereas with static + multi it was a snap.

I'm sure you could afford at least a little bit better rare in the meanwhile though, 260 pdps is not very good.

Best wishes.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 30, 2015, 5:56:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info